Hating new bike | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hating new bike

The gladius and the SV650 so I have seen ride the same. I am trying to avoid a sport positioning. I could be wrong. But this has caused problems with my hands wrists etc. I am hoping the pain numbness etc go away. I don't want to go less then a 500cc. It was suggested a scarver. I know noting about them. I tried to look it up and got nothing. I am open to all suggestions. Everyone said i would love the sv650. Unfortunately. It's a poor fit for me.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app
The sv650 and scarver ride incredibly different. My sister who is also relatively short is pretty much upright straight all the time on hers. And she has gotten it factory lowered.
I would definitely say check it out.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

been following this thread and can relate to you OP.....had been riding an FZ6 for a few years and really liked it,
got the bug for something with a little more HP, weight and upright ergos as I found most miles were on long trips

bought an FJ09 2 years ago based on strong reviews, was overseas and had no chance to sit one one, deal done over the net
when I picked it up after the first 30 minutes I was really depressed as the bike was awful....high, heavy, clunky, uncomfortable

over time I got the controls setup, suspension just right for me and my riding style...then spent a few bucks on an Air Boss cushion,
MadStad adjustable touring screen, and just recently new tires, had no idea how awful the stock tires were until I took them off

thinking back I had several issues with the FZ6 that needed tweaking before I liked it, now the FJ09 fits me like a glove and is
a joy to ride all day and I'll keep this bike forever

so it will take a bit of time, some tweaking, and a few $ likely before this bike feels right for you

been following this thread and can relate to you OP.....had been riding an FZ6 for a few years and really liked it,
got the bug for something with a little more HP, weight and upright ergos as I found most miles were on long trips

bought an FJ09 2 years ago based on strong reviews, was overseas and had no chance to sit one one, deal done over the net
when I picked it up after the first 30 minutes I was really depressed as the bike was awful....high, heavy, clunky, uncomfortable

over time I got the controls setup, suspension just right for me and my riding style...then spent a few bucks on an Air Boss cushion,
MadStad adjustable touring screen, and just recently new tires, had no idea how awful the stock tires were until I took them off

thinking back I had several issues with the FZ6 that needed tweaking before I liked it, now the FJ09 fits me like a glove and is
a joy to ride all day and I'll keep this bike forever

so it will take a bit of time, some tweaking, and a few $ likely before this bike feels right for you

Unfortunately this bike and I have a love hate relationship with. Sadly as much as I love it. It's not a good match. I decided to list it. Worst case I trade it in. But I can't ride it.

Unfortunately this bike and I have a love hate relationship with. Sadly as much as I love it. It's not a good match. I decided to list it. Worst case I trade it in. But I can't ride it.

I don't blame you one bit. There's a guy at work who was asking me for a year what kind of bike to buy. I suggested over and over he buy a standard motorcycle, or a cruiser since he was riding to work and going for weekend rides in the country. What did he buy? A Honda CBR. He got a great deal on it (the guy who sold it to him admitted he couldn't stand riding it for more than an hour at a time). Two weeks after he bought it he started asking me if my wrists, arms, hands got sore after long rides. I said never, because my bikes were designed for general purpose riding, not sport riding. He's not happy with his bike and he wants to sell it. I hope you find a better match for your next bike. Take your time, try them all out. The Suzuki GWS you had is an excellent bike. If I were you, I would go right back to what makes you happy. You don't need a big bike to have fun.

Thanks. I had a blast on my little 250. I know suzuki did the GW in a 500cc. I am going to try and track one down. It was just a fun little bike. I took it to Ottawa and north bay last summer

Then please enlighten me as to why.
As someone who's taught a few females to ride, you see characteristics in motorcycles that women will accept and won't accept. What scares them. What inspires confidence in them etc.

My guess is that you're a shorter female rider and the SV's taller stature is freaking you out so you're riding around death gripping causing numbness in your hands searching for parking lots to get a break from this motorcycle that's not suited to you that you hate.

The SV requires upper body strength as well and some females lack upper body strength.

Have a look at the comments section here:

http://www.womenridersnow.com/pages/top_ten_motorcycles_for_women.aspx#reader_comments

Forget the main article as it's obviously sponsored by Harley Davidson.

Page 2 in the comments mentions the BMW GS 650, a favorite amongst women. Perhaps you could trade yours in as you'll lose money modifying an SV to suit a shorter woman. The resale is just not there as it's not a bike women want or short people want.

The resale is good and you could also do a trade using $1 as a token taxable receipt amount as no money is changing hands.

Find a male that made the same mistake as you on Kijiji. He bought a too short, too slow, too smooth, too boring bike. He's looking for your bike, you're looking for his bike provided they both are new and have next to no km's and are of relatively equal value you'll both get what you want.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Actually you are wrong on your height comment and about my riding abilities

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

From a two fifty to a SV? Gotta be a chick.

MLADIN offered a few plausible explanations, and speculated on your riding abilities. He never commented on your specific abilities. Don't get bunched up at it

As a 5'2 female I can honestly say it's never been the bike, just the rider. Ever thought of taking advanced rider training? With a few corrections you may start to enjoy the SV.

I have taken an advanced course. So No it won't help in enjoying the bike. I also won't be modifying it. It will be gone this week or next.

What course did you take and did you do it with the SV?

How much do you want for the SV? My niece is looking.

Last edited:
The unfortunate thing here is that test or demo rides are the exception, not the rule, in the motorcycle industry. Demo days at dealers are few and far between and most private sellers are extremely reluctant to let test pilots try out a bike they claim to be there to buy.

When was the last time you bought a new car and did not take a demo out for a spin to see if you liked it? Ever buy a used car without a test drive? Not likely.

What dealership won't let you book a test ride? I get it for a SS, don't need newbs jumping on a litre bike to "try" it out.

Every dealership (HD, GP Bikes, Snow City, Assletines plus about 1/2 dozen up in the Ottawa Valley) has let me book a test ride.

And most used sellers will let you with cash in hand. At that point their only worry is insurance.

I've let buyers test ride my previously for sale bikes.

Albeit, I do hold on to their license, and their car / bike keys while they go around the block with it a couple times.

Back
Top Bottom