Hating new bike | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hating new bike

What's a clip on

Clip-ons are basically just short handlebars. It used to mean bars that directly clamped on to the fork tubes, but there are a number of OEM handlebar styles that make the definition more complicated. Besides being short, one big difference is that usually clip-ons are directly mounted to the forks/upper triple clamp, whereas full width handlebars are usually rubber mounted.

These are clipons.

154OH%20----.jpg

these are close....

sv650N-001.gif

there are numerous variations ...

ProductShot_DucatiClipOnAdapterPlateActual_Monster_12_1630-2_800X600.jpg

All drop your bars so you have lean over the tank and usually have a narrowed distance between your hands.

Takes some getting used to and eventually because of the weight on your hands you can develop nerve issues ....ask me how I know :rolleyes:

Too many years on an RD400 with bikini fairing and drop bars,...wish mine was yellow ....

yamaha-rd400-1976-cafe-racer-04.jpg

Loved that bike.

My kid had an SV650 ande could never ride distance on it.
Switched to a FZ8 ..more upright seating and can do big days.

Last edited:
I will take a picture in a day or so. I am moving and the bike just got moved to the new place. One less thing to move.

Wow, fist off, I feel sorry for you.
But unfortunately you have bought one of the most capable 600cc motorcycles there is.
You will find it hard to get people to say that it is a bad bike.
The real problem is your own.
I believe you are a beginner. An SV650 is one of the more docile bikes on the market.
Terrifying..............impossible.
Once you get used to the bike you will see that it is a very nice bike. It will fill all of your needs and then some.

Get some seat time, your hands will get used to the feel and stop getting numb.
Your butt will adjust.

Give this bike time. It's a fantastic bike

Hi everyone.

So I picked up my bike on Thursday June 8, 2017 and I think I absolutely hate it. Knowing that where do I go from here. I am having quite a few issues, and really don't think I can get over them. I went from a Suzuki GW250 to a Suzuki SV650. I understand that there are MANY differences between the two bit I just can't get comfortable on the new one. Where would I go from here? Do I sell it, trade it in? Or should I contact the school I took my course with and see if the can assist with the issues. I loved it when I saw it, but now it is terrifying me.

Lost and could use direction.

1) Vibration causes my hands to go numb
2) Constantly stall
I never had an issue with slow speeds until now
3) Attempting to turn etc is like a horror movie, Almost dropped it twice but it was an almost,
4) I find the size of the bike in general or just the ability of its power awkward and frighting.

There was something that I obviously loved about it, but now......

This is why I always recommend a couple of years on a 250 before going big. I understand exactly how you feel. A 600cc bike is big and heavy and powerful. That means the balance and power are very different in turns and at slow speeds. Anything over 400cc is not a beginner bike. But...now that you have it you should try to get used to it. Ride it for a couple of months and if at the end of the summer you still can't get used to it sell it and go back to something more manageable. You live, you learn.

This is why I always recommend a couple of years on a 250 before going big. I understand exactly how you feel. A 600cc bike is big and heavy and powerful. That means the balance and power are very different in turns and at slow speeds. Anything over 400cc is not a beginner bike. But...now that you have it you should try to get used to it. Ride it for a couple of months and if at the end of the summer you still can't get used to it sell it and go back to something more manageable. You live, you learn.

I had not planned on the purchase. But my bike was vandalized and written off. I had planned on a bigger vehicle. Just not a 650. But I actually liked it because it was yellow. Yes a stupid reason. I am hanging on. Taking the advice and seeing someone about fine tuning it.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I had not planned on the purchase. But my bike was vandalized and written off. I had planned on a bigger vehicle. Just not a 650. But I actually liked it because it was yellow. Yes a stupid reason. I am hanging on. Taking the advice and seeing someone about fine tuning it.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

One more warning. If you ride it for the summer then go to something smaller you'll find out quickly how used to the extra power you became. That "instantaneous" response from the 650 throttle, especially on the 400 highways will be quickly missed. You'll be disappointed on a 250-300cc bike when you can no longer effortlessly run away from problem drivers.

My bars don't vibrate but the wrists are in agony very quickly. New bars today.

On the stalling. Is the idle smooth or does it hunt / jump around. Mine did the hunting and would stalled the first day out. It had been rained on. after drying out in the sun for a day idled proper no more stalling. New caps are going in today as well. Water around the front plug some how seems to be the problem.

When I first got my SV I felt the same way about the vibration ... I was holding on too tight

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One more warning. If you ride it for the summer then go to something smaller you'll find out quickly how used to the extra power you became. That "instantaneous" response from the 650 throttle, especially on the 400 highways will be quickly missed. You'll be disappointed on a 250-300cc bike when you can no longer effortlessly run away from problem drivers.

More like once you get used to the SV, and then move to an inline 4 supersport, you'll miss the instantaneous v-twin torque at low speed and low rpm...

My bars don't vibrate but the wrists are in agony very quickly. New bars today.

On the stalling. Is the idle smooth or does it hunt / jump around. Mine did the hunting and would stalled the first day out. It had been rained on. after drying out in the sun for a day idled proper no more stalling. New caps are going in today as well. Water around the front plug some how seems to be the problem.
Ah, the old SV325. The recess for the front spark plug fills with water and shorts the front plug, causing a misfire, effectively running on only the rear cylinder:
1. There is a drain hole that comes out of the right-hand side of the head. It will fill with bugs and dirt and no longer allow the spark plug recess to properly drain, leading to the short. Use something long and thin to clean out the drain hole and prevent the water accumulation.
2. Put a thin coat of dielectric grease on the inside of the spark plug boot to further help / prevent this situation.

Last edited:
Im riding my 05 sv650s to deals gap july 1st replaced seat with gel one zx10 ohlins shock .95 racetec fork springs.

I can sit up or lay down easy bike to ride. First time riding to gap but 4th time with sv650s loved it everytime. Taking 2 days to get there then 5 days riding the Dragon then 2 days home

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

What's a clip on

I work in North York @ Leslie and York Mills I can take a look if you like and see if maybe something is off. Send me s msg and let me know -Dave

Hi everyone.

So I picked up my bike on Thursday June 8, 2017 and I think I absolutely hate it. Knowing that where do I go from here. I am having quite a few issues, and really don't think I can get over them. I went from a Suzuki GW250 to a Suzuki SV650. I understand that there are MANY differences between the two bit I just can't get comfortable on the new one. Where would I go from here? Do I sell it, trade it in? Or should I contact the school I took my course with and see if the can assist with the issues. I loved it when I saw it, but now it is terrifying me.

Lots of advice has already been posted for what you may do down-the-road, but is not necessary now. Your problem is you are a new rider and intimidated by the power and size of your bike. You lack the needed confidence to ride after learning on a small light bike. So forget the trinkets to fine-tune your ride, that comes later when you overcome your inexperience.

Just get on and ride it. The bike is likely set up from the factory in a very rideable state. It is you that needs the (head)adjusting. Be patient, take the bike out in open roads with as little traffic as possible so you get to feel the bike. It will all come together with experience. Good Luck

Hi everyone.

OMG..... This saddens me :( :( I love my Sv... Maybe change the seat on it?

As others have pointed out, look into adjusting the positioning of your clutch.

Just practice getting comfortable on the bike.

An empty parking lot practicing bike handling will do wonders for you.

Low speed cornering.. tow the rear brake.. look to where you're going etc.

Just practice road manuveurs in the parking lot + shoulder checks..

Practice will boost your confidence

I can remember the first couple of weeks on my new to me ST1100. First bike after a 20+ year gap in riding. Dealer delivered it as I did not want to ride on the 403 and 401 on the trip home. Big heavy bike. After it was unloaded I suited up and took it for a spin on quiet side streets. Neighbor who witnessed this later told me he though I was riding off on this huge bike with zero motorcycle riding experience and I was probably going to kill myself on it.

Lot's of good advice here. I'd add that you should stay off highways until you are much more comfortable on the bike.

After a 20+ year gap, I'm not surprised. First few rides in the spring I feel like a newb.,,,or treat em like that.

Back
Top Bottom