Stories how safety gear saved you or how you wish you wore some | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stories how safety gear saved you or how you wish you wore some

zheka130

Guys

Might be interesting to read stories how you may have went down and how your gloves, jacket, whatever, saved you,
or the other way around, how you regretted not wearing some.

Friend bounced off a guardrail with his back.
Paramedics fully expected him to be dead or quadriplegic. Called for a helicopter transport to the nearest hospital.
Back protector (one of the most under used pieces of safety gear there is) saved his life. Ended up with 2 fractured vertebrae, a punctured lung and several broken ribs.

low-side from speed and sand first season coming around a corner. foot got caught under bike and fractured ankle in two places. was wearing sneakers.
now I wear some form of boot no matter where I'm going or what other gear I wear. The healing and surgery time plus rehab to put full weight on the leg is not fun.

Guys

Might be interesting to read stories how you may have went down and how your gloves, jacket, whatever, saved you,

why???

Just curious.
Used to ride my brother's Rebel wearing sandals and shorts.
After getting my M2 with a safety course, realized the potential consequences and now wear a leather suit in most cases.

Interesting about the back protector, I guess it can save your spine if you hit anything with your back, like a curb.

...Might be interesting to read stories how you may have went down and how your gloves, jacket, whatever, saved you,

Specifically related to mesh and polyester gear. More of an empirical case study. Includes crash deets, gloves, jackets, pants, outcome if available. Pic heavy, multi-year, ongoing. Riders are not always generous in their worst moments. Best viewed on a pc rather than a phone, so you can see the details of the gear.

I'm always looking for crash cases to document, specifically for mesh. The more data and experiences the better we can all benefit.

Fell on Vancouver Island on an oil spill wearing a sweatshirt...rashed my forearm.
Slid down the 400 for a lot of meters in the rain, helmet and jacket got a scratch and leather pants got a scratch on the pocket zipper.
Slid across Steeles wearing full leathers, go up and walked the bike away...leathers got a bit scratched.

Fell on Vancouver Island on an oil spill wearing a sweatshirt...rashed my forearm.
Slid down the 400 for a lot of meters in the rain, helmet and jacket got a scratch and leather pants got a scratch on the pocket zipper.
Slid across Steeles wearing full leathers, go up and walked the bike away...leathers got a bit scratched.

Damn, how did the bikes fare?

Broke my windshield on the V45 Sabre on Van Is. and did a little bit of damage to my soft saddle bags. Nothing a bit of duct tape couldn't fix and still using the bags almost 30 years later.
Slide down the 400 scratched the crash bars and maybe a few other bits on the Sabre.
Slide across Steeles actually did some damage to the SV. Needed a few bits cause it wasn't rideable. Shifter, clutch lever and maybe a few other bits.

It's a pain putting on riding pants for short trips and lots of times I don't but this taught me to wear knee armor all the time.

ScreenShot2013-04-17atApr17201350614PM_zps8dcf2e13.jpg

30 kph off pavement ...front wash out and I got torqued down harder than a normal low side as the foot peg dug in.

Never even felt my knee....those gouges would have been in my knee cap and the impact would have been nasty.

By comparison....somehow my shoulder armor did not cover me ( jacket open cuz it was hot ) and it's permanently damaged 4 years on ....still hurts tho I've mostly full use.

Boots for your ankles, some knee protection ( mine goes under my jeans ) and gloves.

Heat is also a nasty, stay hydrated and there is very good armor that is also cool....and yes mesh gear protects and doesn't melt.

I ride in tropical Australia and lately the heat has been worse here.. There is good mesh gear that will keep you cool and not break the bank.

Nothing like a bit of off road riding to teach you the value of gear ;)

Had my rear wheel taken out under braking, from 70-80 Kmh, and got pitched off the bike. Hit the road with my left shoulder and head. The crack that I thought was my helmet splitting was actually my collarbone. The quality leather jacket I was wearing got scraped up pretty good but the padding and cowhide kept my own hide in place. I could have still worn the jacket after that, battle scars and all, but the insurance company took it and reimbursed me.

Kevlar jeans with know armoured shorts under then upgraded back protector in mesh jacket and shoulders and elbows knox armoured gloves saved me at deals gap gear held up needed new helmet and replace fairings rode same day after replacing lever clutch

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

It was a rainy day. I had just broken up with my SO of 5 years a month ago. I was a bit (understatement) emotional. Took the GSXR750 out, found a friend at the gas station, and went on ramping.

Normally, I do not take uncalculated risks. The first ramp round was dry, and I went in hot despite not doing a lap to check for debris and sand. Second round it started to drizzle. Went in hot again, at the apex I slammed the throttle down wanting to pop an out of corner wheelie. Rear wheel spun out immediately. I was already at around 130km/h. I went sliding into the concrete barrier and watched my bike spin. The tail exploded once it hit the barrier. Obviously, riding emotionally was the first mistake.

Luckily, I was in full gear. The low slide felt like I was sliding on clouds lol For those of you who have seen my pinecone incident, I was in jeans and got road rash from that. God knows wtf would've happened if I was squid during the above incident.

Also, a very nice guy from a certain shop came by with coffee, call me an idiot, and kept me company till CAA arrived; the front brake had no pressure so I had no brakes!

Riding home one night when I used to live downtown. A car in the left lanes brakes suddenly, cuts infront of me and into my lane and I slam into the passengerside. The bike and I land hard on the right side and slide up onto the sidewalk.
I was wearing practically all brand new gear.
Dianese Long Range touring boots saved my ankle from breaking according to the doctor and my physiotherapist, though it still hasn't recovered fully from the soft tissue damage.
New Motocentric mesh jacket took the rash for me.
My 8 year old Joe Rocket riding pants did a marvelous job and all the padding in it helped considerably.

The Paramedics were impressed with how much gear and padding I was wearing.

I remember earlier that night I was chiding a friend I was riding with because she was wearing flats. "If you get in an accident...."

Back
Top Bottom