Michegan Take II | GTAMotorcycle.com

Michegan Take II

MacDoc

Site Supporter
Michigan Take II

everything south is 30 degrees ....Quebec is wet .....

Michigan between the lakes looks reasonable..

Still want to do this

DKdZze12TKirt4jnxHBQ-JoP9m_XOEG5tBCx6fyDZyHeJgP6KValfPLkYT2RJz23BI1n2nV8tKLqLRmulbR5MmP3_ziAZu8aAY_86uxamda1plGQ9suJ8hF_nlO0yRtiJ76_EpVCLYL4dNsxAv84PxyD4Rc_6x1TWkVMqgaswTRdVA66_PLIHwsZnWAI7Mm7-FjLHzIdUV32T-nILOrA8BjmsoQP0CDLC32QU_sLOrjGbp8Bl7_BK3meDEsFEZVQIM4rlLJprhmo8kq7MD9WW2lI93G0cuZvlj0cPD-ORKVxQFL-GbaYAmHwWiUyJ5J7Y9HgRSJ3PCHhTQZEUl0UaNNsdVNzprX6BAVK2fabllVItHHTU-E5RtbognmgebIJh4ZhUKzcLlKTZBW40hT8YqBJWLDuOJcKoo6bFXevItRmJEGEsXd-pvLtnzs3grwMIZO6Owv_oDOa3AygJF1xpBEvBjIpew3RZPfkAZ_Ylc7zJTciOjqYULCf1Afk2HBBnO9UmpZgs4pIZGRqUmcRqsmF-3RU_qepx-9YdL7IBhCEmhsEx3vXrjPOp3loG_nITheHfIX1oJAD6arerMzF6w76KVTm2rQe0cCjnDlwl11F8RJPUfX_mg=w1606-h2184-no

looking at some combination here

http://www.bestbikingroads.com/moto...an-/lake-superior-shoreline-road-_d534a4.html

5fd7rUqpVlp_UPTQadKxaPjM278Rjrd5SMUon_XOqTge3OfyVisbZShY3x5KtkKJAsM7UhJPez99j13xh-AM2XoYNNNbTnKpYE_ymXYqSQQjkq-RBau4N8LtQFsO7t3TjyCl-DLFK1uqzSiZQf1KyCmF1TymJbRIl_RR-uJ1gjwctdcxq1aYCZdUKSqVMUBOxl5SuO1G6msjHf33eO0ZKiEFuyU8HM9F1iVVExUbj0kdBIj0ZAwhBKnITSD_Dn17FP2AyRphN2Ok_rCxW7h5_ZgG-Up06YgICTDS6UXPVez81f6jZOf1BlK1XN3ljE5-8oEDpxjJHqF9AaYhlEUB5GkE8uonE9ogAOp9hGRdQFEOm5bGf8lQLWDBzrmBHcAyFKeUq_sioZM-77l1BW0TUaqOhNkWcZOyWPhiYcudu1ktO5JzurKtHIvPcOnJK3vZ8FrDRUHzIu-5PcQtKE8VE2lCfRJWxdmJEYMVbaaISGE5C5-_64Ev94QHJ39gsMAIereJWLN4Fseo9d-B6eQjvmsOWjpAW8NHpDaeMKK3nkdP4KO8CEvcT1d2U5CzuOVSd6sZDKK__xP5b26SraXw2wCa-rTsFR2lczYfEfcelIU0Vj8pCl7mMw=w900-h710-no

easy day to Newago this time of year ...650 clicks

then do the west coast of Lake Michigan that I skipped 460 km day ....can do some sight seeing
https://goo.gl/maps/V7iBNdhKSa62

then I'm at the MicMack Bridge
DI-02213-0042-slideshow.jpg

maybe can get some evening and morning bridge shots if I get the correct motel.

Super 8 maybe with a bridge view room

22010385.jpg

and there is a nice park on the water front to shoot from as well. Hmmm ....not a good idea for a Saturday night ....$$$!

Well will have to be a drive by shooting.....

This works tho a bit further south $73 a night

25597851-7323-4f42-9494-732bc9be88e8.jpg

https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/1639269...in=2017-06-17&check_out=2017-06-18&s=1baAuGVE

After that my options are to swing up to Ontario maybe ....I could come back via Manitoulin Island ... or do a 556 - has anyone done this loop to Searchmont and down to Thesalon

http://ontarioroadtrip.ca/?p=6244

Actually looks good

Every single inch of pavement on this ride is incredible. Every. Single. Inch. Starting in the Soo (or Sault Ste. Marie as the tourists call it) ride east on the Trans-Canada to Thessalon and head north on Highway 129 (Ontario’s Tail of the Dragon) then take a left at Highway 556, and another left at Wawa where you’ll ride the most scenic highway in the province. ‘Nuff said.

Hmmmph - seems I've found my third day

The Grand Algoma Loop has been named the top weekend motorcycle tour in Ontario twice.

motorcycle-mojo-grand-algoma.jpg

http://www.northernontario.travel/a...finest-motorcycle-roads-the-grand-algoma-loop

That is looking like a wrap except I think I'm better to do it in reverse looking at the weather.

I lied .. 4 days three nights about 2400 km and slower pace except to and from.

0ZQw2xliqpX5UrLAtR6ZdpYP6ZwxxhHtTkpL3Q6xJ8eMaYUicL_GlZWZFKA24AWCSgWIQdOVk20YJQBe55llj5HvNzzJfm57H7aGK6CrGOwEGp49QihF0_Udl76l9xmnq0MdJOkvySmg2YEKYQ-DuMSxRLsuc9ZM7taRYL5160QsqBEj4tuvipJtI4djFcto0F0PwqG9619uGf7PLqy3lCNuHv4c1blYQ98MVvuAUhSh--0hZ-O4TPvwoqDcJ86iPqQO0DLFLiRhJr0di_dRSqNPVu_MLpNUHv0jbAVYR1gkVUXJgoJ2ChzFaRoh980CQns8CjA3Bk2cmfxrF12AGsGfygv2KoFXHfKmd_sjGrkQ-9NC9zIG33_T-j2r6bsfT7tKIA36D6ZsvtYRh4kCgya57XIU0IpGqn-WO3JKNMx5uGzms3yc9r4GjK_V8fuj9A3_4fQy-R-4ZUaXluJDb3CPTwvK_14uQdhIMbGTeGf3XJAbL8vaaWOT5EZ_UzypK2D5ZmlFWnfIN-evwkLA9BNlV6voNRCIwhHO5gG4pu44rD96chsw9ioYFLLwKjJyMOQxxYwiuIHFBr65h7fEqS_I1TMrW9_XhLt3pe1VFzAmO934CA8WpQ=w1890-h2234-no

https://goo.gl/maps/JY3299jCKZk

Okay ...booked in Iron Bridge 573 Km for Friday ....lets hope weather cooperates.

Saturday is Algoma Loop 569 km and a touch of luxury at Super 8 in Sault

Then into Michigan along the west side and home on Monday about 650 km

Last edited:
Re: Michigan Take II

It's been a few years since I've been through Michigan and I can't really give feedback on that. Only thing I can add is, my stay at the Plaza Motor Motel in Sault Ste Marie, Michigan is maybe the most memorable part of that trip.

Outside of the generic name, it is probably the most charming motel I have ever stayed in.

Looking good for weather but too warme GTA later in th ....heading north to lose that :D 6 am and 17 that's just fine

I've planned something similar (but never pulled the trigger)

I would try and include the Tunnel of Trees M-119. Just n/w of Harbor Springs

That is on the route list for sure for Sunday

almost got wet ...Tstrom crossed just before I was moving up the 400....wet pavement but nothing esle and sun as expected now - still misty tho but no fog...good start - nice temps.

Only 4 hours to Thessalon so very easy day - there is a pool so might just get to use the swim trunks I carry and never use.
Bike is purring, chain adjusted, clutch lubed and I'm in no hurry. Zero wind

Ground Hog day event......same Timmies near Parry Sound
Same Timmies at Espanola.....even the same parking spot and booth......

misty to Sudbury
sudden downpour enough to put rain pants on ....
hour later and it's gloroous and sunny.

Two hours to Thessalon and a lazy sunny afternoon....swim for sure

Hmmmph ....no pool open - sucks.

Room small but okay ....park right outside the door.

Likely the least stiff I've been ....no sore hands at all....new med :D

Sunny day - zilch wind - hope it holds for tomorrow loop

My evening adventure to Mississagi started well...
96d32a29f3dff8a4d7c081c3de21f086

1c608e492345883b15c84ee1f487ce5e

What I learned today...don't take the Strom on the beach with P3s

Well was not the beach but the "road" next to the beach ..can we say soft luxurious sand :rolleyes:

e40ba5784715dac40adfda38d8f54ad0

Of course it's a dead end so soft careful paddling and 13 point turn got me back on firmer ground....I knew the P3s were squirmy on gravel.....umpteen times worse in sand.

Was cloudy so even the view wasn't worth it tho I'm sure it's a very nicespot with the sun out. Hard to believe how quiet the TransCanada is here at Blind River this time of night ( 9 pm ) on a Friday.

Easy day of riding bike ran superbly ..could feel the adjusted chain

Chapleau tomorrow - was over 40 years I did it last on my RD400...

Last edited:

So found out my First Gear gloves keep me dry
Scott jacket ditto ( knew that )
Olympia rain pants - even when on backwards
Gaurnier boots FAIL

Now both boots leak....first was only the right. Possible left boot was user error.

Had a nice ride on the Algoma loop.... 60% grey no rain - misty
35% sunny
5% pretty wet at Chapleau.

White knuckle moment at Wawa facing down a road grader on street tires but the Wee went where pointed with a little throttle over the gravel drift. Would have been MUCH happier with the k60s on

One surprise moment in the rain with an unseen pothole that rattled my teeth even with the Vstrom suspension.
Since the whole 400 k jog was pretty decent ( ripples bumps and lots of smooth pavement ) the crater was unexpected and unseen.

Decent breakfast at RedTop Inn in Iron Bridge....left 8.30 into Sault at 6.30 pm..unrushed ride. 590 km ..will see how the pics turn out. Saw what looked like 3 young foxes cross the road, a lovely whitetailed deer loped across and a rather amusing sandhill crane daddy caught on the wrong side of the road.

He slunk across head down - obviously a nest nearby.

Tunnel of trees tomorrow tho might leave later in the morning. Looks very nice noon onward

Last edited:

Mackinac_Bridge_from_the_air4.jpg

Poured part of the way from just after the border crossing to the Mackinack bridge then cleared right up.

Several sandhill crane families along the way ... I guess they find the edges of the highway a good spot to raise their chicks.

Glad it was dry just for the views but when I came across last week there was construction on the paved section ...would not relish the metal grid in rain and wind.
But despite the signs ...pavement was opened the whole way.

Easy day turning to a marathon...sorted out Tunnel of Trees which was a very nice area but took a look at the wind and weather and figured going further south along the coast was not profitable..

Bloody Michigan wind AGAIN..lifted my tank bag, tried to steal my phone - was I glad for the turn to Flint..

7 pm and about 3.5 hours from home and maybe one more stop for fuel and releive aches and pains but with the wind far easier . Don't really care if it takes til midnight - rather sleep in my own bed.

Last edited:

Sure glad this was on the other side.....what a stench and backed up traffic.

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=301927

Was actually a very nice ride from the border ...golden hour and saw a deer and two fawns stepping slowly across the field next to the road.....going too fast to stop but was a lovely image to hold at the end of ther ride.

Got dark around Woodstock so just mindless fast Sunday night traffic. Was so wrapped up in my audio book and a bit groggy from the long ride went right by the Eglinton turn to home.....duh.

943 KM and my *** feels it. Gonna sleep well. Damn Michegan quartering wind tried to lift the tank bag then my cell phone in the X-mount.
Hard work....but then turn the corner at Flint and all is forgiven :D
That's the longest day ride since The James Bay road - about the same length.

2284 total KM ...a bit much for 3 days.

Pics here

https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries/superior-loop-june-2017

Couple of samples
The Algoma loop was grey and damp but still lovely - wisps of fog on the hills and trees.

ef3b4022de5c1992e1edc9bfdefac0fc

Superior shore down from Wawa clear with fog which was neat

3d32f15d52b4bbb46c6f81653cdbdc58

Took a break at Katherine Cove...people were swimming

ceea5a92dc45920a707ae984fa0210b8

A fav Group of Seven painting location.

Last edited:

I've planned something similar (but never pulled the trigger)

I would try and include the Tunnel of Trees M-119. Just n/w of Harbor Springs

Did the Michigan west coast last year all the way up.

Tunnel of trees is nice - a bit slow though.

Also I surprised to find fruit growing in the peninsulas north of Travere City. Tons of cherry orchards and vinyards. They're as far north as Orillia.

Warm lake beside it ....very nice area around Petoski ....still want to do more south of there ....

hmmph - maybe hair of the dog wasn't so smart ...200 k easy loop to pick up some parts in Guelph via back roads...lovely day tho just beat the T storms home .....but geez....wanted to crawl into a ditch and sleep.

Bike is buzzy ....time to swap chain and sprockets....

Back
Top Bottom