My Bike Studders in 1st Gear - UPDATED | GTAMotorcycle.com

My Bike Studders in 1st Gear - UPDATED

nikos1965

Thank you all who replied to my post regarding the issue with my v-star 1100 that would spudder when cold at low rpm in first gear.

I had some buddies over last night and they immediately though it was a spark plug issue so we went at it. As we were pulling off the spark plug wire from the plug we than realised the wire was CRACKED right off just before the boot. So now we have a broken spark plug wire. We are not sure if this job is someone we can do ( simple ) or a service job. I YOUTUBE searched - replacing spark plug wire on v-star 1100 and nothing came up.

Any help would be appreciated, Thank you

From the least knowledgeable person on this forum: pull old wire off. Put new wire on.
And once again:
Stutters.
Sputters.
Sorry. I have issues.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

Thank you all who replied to my post regarding the issue with my v-star 1100 that would spudder when cold at low rpm in first gear.

I had some buddies over last night and they immediately though it was a spark plug issue so we went at it. As we were pulling off the spark plug wire from the plug we than realised the wire was CRACKED right off just before the boot. So now we have a broken spark plug wire. We are not sure if this job is someone we can do ( simple ) or a service job. I YOUTUBE searched - replacing spark plug wire on v-star 1100 and nothing came up.

Any help would be appreciated, Thank you

Doesn't sound like a big job . Just make sure you route the new wire the same as the old .

so unless it's a molded type boot onto the wire, you should be able to snip off at the break point, remove the bit of wire that still might be in the boot, and screw on the boot back onto the wire....

not the best of videos but it gets the point across, if this is applicable to you....

[video=youtube;UUcfzpM8aa8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUcfzpM8aa8[/video]

The problem will be that the spark plug wire is molded into the ignition coil and is effectively one-piece with the ignition coil.

Gatekeeper hinted at what to do. See if you have any slack in the ignition wire that would allow the ignition wire to be shortened past where the break in the wire is. If you do, then unscrew the plug cap from the wire (think about replacing the plug caps with new ones while you are in there ...), trim the wire at the break, install new plug cap as per video.

If you don't have enough slack in the wire to do this, or if the wire is damaged or rotted and about to fail along its entire length (which is rather likely), best bet is to replace the ignition coils.

It IS possible to unscrew ignition wire from coils even though they are molded in ... reef on them enough and they'll come out. Getting new ignition wires in there and successfully in contact with the internal terminal AND getting them to seal properly against the elements ... been there, done that, failed, bought new coils ... maybe you could have better luck than I did ...

As I suspected (and replied in your other thread), it was an ignition problem.

BTW, in the future, it's easier if you maintain a single thread for things like this vs starting a separate one with updates in it - people who participated in the first one may never see the second one to help you more, and things just get broken up with relevant info from the first thread often being lost in the second.

I had a buddy with more knowledge than me and he did just that. Good thing the break wasnt at the coil end and there was enough slack to make a cut , clean it and attach to cap. Changed to a new cap as well. Works good runs good. Thanks for everything.

Back
Top Bottom