Question before committing to riding ... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Question before committing to riding ...

Hey guys,

I browsed through the forums and had difficulties finding a posting that matched my current situation and was some what recent (most insurance posts seem to be pre-2012 for some reason?)

Anyways, I am turning 21 on July 2nd (people seem to say that 21 is better for insurance than 20/below 20) and am without any form of M license (no M1 or M2). Basically, my Dad surprised me by giving me his '88 250 Ninja for my birthday. Obviously I want to get it on the road as soon as possible, though insurance seems to be a rather muddy topic. I plan on getting my M1 this week, but from there on out Im a little lost.

My Dad has told me that I need to complete the motorcycle safety course before I get the bike, which makes sense obviously, but I'm curious as to how I should proceed with that? If I got my M1 this weekend and then took the course the next weekend would I be eligible for the m2 test, or would it be pointless as I would still have to wait 2 months to take the M2 test?

Also, most places won't quote me on insurance if I only have my M1, in which case I have to wonder how exactly I'm supposed to get riding experience? If I can't take the M2 test until 2 months after getting my M1, how exactly am I supposed to prepare if I can't be on the roads (no insurance)?

Maybe I'm totally misunderstanding things, but I'm pretty lost.

Additionally, my Mom seems to think that I will pay no less than 5000$/year and it will have to be paid in a single payment? I'm a university student and can most certainly NOT afford 5000$ upfront right now so I'm pretty worried. Like all of you I really want to ride, and I literally have the bike in my garage, but I'm feeling very discouraged about getting to ride at all this year :(

88' 250 should be cheap-ish but your young, you wont know about insurance till you call around, no less than 10 brokers/underwriters/agents

Step 1. Write M1 test

Step 2. After passing, look around, and book via a college or a recognized institution the m1 Exit test(for the m2) They usually run about 500$, usually in the summer spots book up fast, so keep that in mind.

You will need gear in order to do the course,( Helmet, boots, gloves, riding jacket, jeans)

Good luck

I went with Learning curves, they were fairly laid back. Before doing the course, see if your dad can give you some pointers

If it was your dad's, leave it in his name and add you to his policy. Will still cost a lot, but hopefully not $5k. That way it can be ridden. Doesn't matter, get your M1, do the course and get the M2 ASAP. No point in waiting as it just takes longer.

My Dad has told me that I need to complete the motorcycle safety course before I get the bike, which makes sense obviously, but I'm curious as to how I should proceed with that? If I got my M1 this weekend and then took the course the next weekend would I be eligible for the m2 test, or would it be pointless as I would still have to wait 2 months to take the M2 test?

Also, most places won't quote me on insurance if I only have my M1, in which case I have to wonder how exactly I'm supposed to get riding experience? If I can't take the M2 test until 2 months after getting my M1, how exactly am I supposed to prepare if I can't be on the roads (no insurance)?

If you get your M1 this week, you can take an M2 course this weekend. The courses require that you have a valid M1 before the start of the riding portion of the course. The places that administer the course are also authorized to administer the M2 test on behalf of the Ministry. So you don't take a course and then have to go somewhere else to take a test. Typically the courses involve riding all day Saturday (learning how to ride), and riding Sunday mornings doing emergency maneuvers and then the testing in the afternoon.

Once you pass the test in the course, that certificate of completion is usually good for about 6 months, meaning that you must go to the Ministry and formerly upgrade your license classification within that time period. You are correct that you have to wait about 60 days from the start of the M1 before you can upgrade in the licensing system to M2. So, once that mandatory 60 day window has passed, you then go to the Ministry to formally update your license class from an M1 to and M2. Some or all riding course operators may submit the fact that you passed the course electronically to the Ministry, so all you do is show up to the Ministry office with your temporary M1 license to get the M1 changed to the M2 after the 60 day window has passed.

For insurance, some companies may insure you while you have your M1 license, if you can prove you have passed the course. This is another reason to shop around in addition to finding a good rate. If you can't find a company to insure you until you formerly upgrade to your M2, no big deal - you will riding in August with many months still left to ride this year. My first year riding I started at the end of July and rode almost every day until December. You are young and have the rest of your life to ride.

No need to be discouraged - you have parents who are not only supporting you, but encouraging you to ride. You also have a free bike. People with far less have done far more, so take advantage of your good fortune!

If it was your dad's, leave it in his name and add you to his policy. Will still cost a lot, but hopefully not $5k. That way it can be ridden. Doesn't matter, get your M1, do the course and get the M2 ASAP. No point in waiting as it just takes longer.

I also id this with my son when he started riding at 17. Insured him as secondary rider on my 83 GPZ550 with The Personal, surprise no increase in premium. I had liability only at $350/year.

Back
Top Bottom