I need to grease my shaft.... | GTAMotorcycle.com

I need to grease my shaft....

GateKeeper

Ok now that I have your attention.....

Get your mind out of the gutter....

I need some high temp grease, optimoly, or what ever some one might have, BelRay brand or imilar and just as good...

Not the cheap stuff in Canadian Tire, was there don't want that stuff...

Any one close by I can get some from, I can offer a beer if you come to me, or I can bring cash or coffee, both if I need to come to you

Don't need a lot, just to lube the splines on both ends

Shoot me pm or post here, I'll check back as often as I can

Thanks

Got a Honda dealer near you? They have the hands down best moly lube that can be had and you can buy it in small toothpaste-tube style things. They had it in stock at the parts desk of the Bowmanville location when I needed it as it was the only recommended option (for fear of stripling the splines out on the my rear drive, as is common for people who use other stuff) when I did my rear tire this spring.

Or you could just use KY. ;)

I have the same stuff from Honda, moly 60 paste in a big tube. The only thing recommended for goldwing drive splines, I think it was under $20.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Any moly grease should do, right? I get mines from crappy tire

Not all Moly's are created equal. There are plenty of stories online of people that used regular grease or cheap moly and ended up stripping the splines between the rear drive And rim. A good quality moly is so thick that it's almost hard to squeeze out of the tube and spread, but it stays where you put it – lesser quality products or regular grease simply fly off instead & leave the parts unprotected.

Word is a lot of Yamaha shops actually use the Honda moly - the Vstar650 for example is famous for striping out the rear splines if a poor quality moly is used. The Honda stuff works wonders.

Moly 60 paste is 60 % moly whereas moly grease is approx 3% moly and not suitable for drive shaft splines.

It's ubelievable on how hard it is to get this particular grease......

BMW recommends

Castrol Optimal Paste TA - can't find a single place that sells it, including the dealer so far...

Honda 60 - well the Honda dealer close by had Honda 77, not the same, they can get me UREA SR1 - 35 bucks for a small tube,,,,WOW - this might be my only recourse at the moment, but still need to order it

I have read that CV joint grease is great, but where the heck do you get that, Loctite 65 moly paste comes close and could be used, and Permatex aluminum based anti seize is a contender, but I have to check the specs of the one that is sold in Canadian Tire

never thought it would be so difficult to get grease.......

OK, dealer can order it in, special order and has to be prepaid and can have it in the next day....well, 2 more trips to Oakville.......one to pay and one to pick up....

Last edited:
You can use Loctite silver anti-seize to substitute for Castrol Optimol paste, available anywhere.

Alright good to know

BMW dealership on Dixie will have it for me by lunch tomorrow, the Castrol one, it's 15 minutes away, so my search is over

I was thinking of the Permatex anti seize stuff, similar to Loctite I think, but was not sure if the specs meet or exceed the ones that Castro has, don't want to be getting a new 1500 dollar shaft, for the sake of 30 bucks in lube

Thanks for all the input....

all this makes me wonder what all the dealerships are using when servicing drive shaft bikes if nobody carries this product

all this makes me wonder what all the dealerships are using when servicing drive shaft bikes if nobody carries this product

you would be surprised as to what I was told that I could use

some use whatever they grab off the work bench

some use whatever they get at Canadian Tire

some didn't even know there was a specific grease for drive shaft bikes

I just hope they all at least read the instructions and guidelines when they work on a bike, and follow the recommendations provided in said documentation...

and then I get this from one of Castrol's suppliers

Optimol Paste TA has been discontinued. Castrol makes Molub-Alloy Paste White T available instead. In terms of application, please note that the Paste White T is suitable for applications where temperature does not exceed 250 Celsius. This is significantly lower than the 1100 Celsius of Optimol Paste TA.

We do not currently have Molub-Alloy Paste White T in stock. It is usually available in 20 kg pails, 180 kg drums, and cases of 20X100 g tubs.
Once you advise me the package size required I’ll advise price and lead time

so even the grease that is supposed to be used is no longer made and the stuff that replaced it is not as good on the heat side of things....WOW

Just get the Honda stuff, as mentioned even service facilities for other manufacturers use it frequently and it is extremely well regarded for driveshaft spline applications.

Just get the Honda stuff, as mentioned even service facilities for other manufacturers use it frequently and it is extremely well regarded for driveshaft spline applications.

I would have but it was a 3-4 day wait, they had to order it in, and more expensive,,,,I got the one BMW recommends at the BMW dealer at Dixie and Eglington, I ordered it yesterday and am picking up today..

The drive shaft in my last BMW bike was over 238,000km when it finally kaputted. When i opened everything up it sure smelt like grease, and burnt seafood. High temp would have been better.

I'm in the process of doing the exact same maintenance on my R1200GS LC. I got some Loc-Tite moly assembly paste from Glen at Flying Squirrel. Cost me $25 for a little tub, and it's the right stuff.

Back
Top Bottom