Anyone with shoulder (Rotator cuff) surgery experience? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone with shoulder (Rotator cuff) surgery experience?

I think I'll have to go with Joe on this one, since he hasn't had a surgery to fix the issue, and others have.

Coming up on a week now post op. Everything I had read/heard about this being a particularly painful procedure has proven right.

I'm down to the point where I'm really only taking the Percocet once per day, mainly in the evening to help settle things for sleep. They work well but I don't really like the overall feeling and they tend to nauseate me on top of it all, but yes, a few hours mostly pain free is nice.

Haven't really been doing a whole lot, any excursions or extended activity leave me quite uncomfortable, so the recliner, the ice therapy machine, and my remote control are my best friends right now. I don't really do that well with the whole sitting still thing so it's not super enjoyable really.

Have been sleeping surprisingly well in the recliner all things considered, but medicating up beforehand is surely helping.

I'm getting better doing everything with my left arm, but I've had more than a few frustrating moments – can't open jars, can't lift anything that requires two hands for balance or weight of course, can't button pants, can't write or sign anything, can't shower alone, can't even get my sling back on myself if I take it off. My left arm started to get quite sore in the last few days, a result of suddenly relying on it for 100% of everything I'm sure. Didn't expect that, but not surprised in hindsight.

First physiotherapy appointments tomorrow – not sure what they're going to do really I am still at the stage where I am sling restricted and not even supposed to contract a single muscle in my upper arm for fear of pulling the tendon off the bone again, but I guess it needs to start somewhere.

Follow up with the surgeon is next Monday, hoping I can be off the narcotics completely by then at which point I will be cleared to drive again at least – looking forward to that as being stuck in the house is going to get tired fast.

Wheee!

So, for those who have had the surgery before that chimed in here earlier.... What kind of sling were you prescribed/did you use?

On Thursday at my first physiotherapy appointment, my physiotherapist was surprised at the sling I was wearing - apparently it was unusual. As we started in and he was reading the surgeons orders for where I was to start it became more obvious that the medical supply store I bought the sling at (before the surgery) had filled the prescription wrong and supplied me with the completely incorrect sling - one that was holding my forearm in an awkward outward facing position. What finally confirmed to there was an issue was the fact that the surgeons orders specifically said for him to not move the arm (during treatment) into the very position that the sling was friggin' holding it at.

I'd thought nothing of the sling up until that moment, having assumed that when I brought a prescription to a medical supply company to purchase a piece of medical equipment...that they would sell me the correct medical equipment to fulfill the prescription.

It also explained that when when I took the sling off for the first extended period of time at the physiotherapy appointment that I was so much more comfortable, but when I put it back on I was in significant pain again.

After more or less confirming the issue Friday I had dialogue with the manager at the medical supply company...and yeah, I got the wrong sling.

Yesterday I bought a more basic sling which doesn't hold my arm in the awkward outward twisted position that the other one was...and boom, my pain is reduced 80%. Today, I ordered the correct sling...but it's going to take a few days to arrive. For the time being I'm trying to get this temporary one angled away from my body at the proper abduction position using a pillow - gets the job done, but a bit less than ideal.

FFS..now I'm all paranoid that I've screwed up the repair because my arm was immobilized at the wrong angle for the first week after the surgery.

Idiots. All of them. I needed colloidal gel for healing road rash and shoppers home health care staff (who really don't know a damned thing in my experience) tried to tell me gauze was the only thing they had that could be used on burns. They had what I needed, but searching around for it while in pain was unnecessary. If staff is unable to give me any useful help (and more often than not provide bad advice), why bother going to the store. Amazon will soon take over the world.

When I knocked my shoulder out I was told to use an abductor sling. It was annoying.

71obPe1ZGlL._SY550_.jpg

Yeah, that's the sling I *should* have been provided. What they sold me is this:

featured_image_-_image_3_-_shoulder_immobilization_in_external_rotation.jpg

If you think the standard abduction sling was a pain, you should try one of these nightmares. I wore this for a week with my arm out at about a 30 degree outward angle, twisting the shoulder joint. Now knowing it was the wrong one I read up on what it WAS designed for - apparently it's specified for dislocations, not surgical repairs.

FWIW this wasn't a Shoppers Drug Mart I went to either, it was a speciality medical supplier that will, for now, remain unnamed.

I always thought that people who filled prescriptions, be it for pills or for medical supplies...actually had to understand what they are selling/providing. I think I was wrong.

people that fill prescriptions for pills are very well trained, often better than doctors in a full understanding of meds.
The people dispensing medical equipment are just salesman, the level of service will depend on the dedication and passion of the salesperson.

people that fill prescriptions for pills are very well trained, often better than doctors in a full understanding of meds.
The people dispensing medical equipment are just salesman, the level of service will depend on the dedication and passion of the salesperson.

Agree on both points.

The latter seems horribly wrong though.

similar experience last month after a foot injury
doc prescribed the elbow type of crutches as I can not weight bear at all yet

gal at the medical supply came from the store room with a pair - two lefts
so one had the grip on the wrong angle, and both had a large L on them

trying to explain this to her I got the screen saver face
her boss came over and argued with me that left and right are the same

found another person that appeared to have a few functioning brain cells
he checked the stores and came back indicating all they had were lefts

so I'm hobbling around on the armpit type crutches

I used to pitch in semi-pro baseball (Intercounty) ... wore my arm right down (repetitive stress) ended up getting arthroscopic rotator cuff surgery in 2003. Physician was Dr. Ron Taylor and Surgeon was Dr. Erin Boynton at Mt. Sinai.

I used to pitch in semi-pro baseball (Intercounty) ... wore my arm right down (repetitive stress) ended up getting arthroscopic rotator cuff surgery in 2003. Physician was Dr. Ron Taylor and Surgeon was Dr. Erin Boynton at Mt. Sinai.

How was your recovery and how is it now all these years later?

I think I'll have to go with Joe on this one, since he hasn't had a surgery to fix the issue, and others have.
Although I was in much pain (and still have only regained about 90% of movement range) I don't think that my injury was near the severity of either PP of FMJ.
But the physio and stretches helped immensely.
Oh, and during physio I used BioFreeze cream.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

Although I was in much pain (and still have only regained about 90% of movement range) I don't think that my injury was near the severity of either PP of FMJ.
But the physio and stretches helped immensely.
Oh, and during physio I used BioFreeze cream.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

Yeah, I had a similar situation. A small tear in the right shoulder, stress, and messed up shoulder blades, left me in significant pain.
It moved from the right side, up the neck and to the left side, maybe from compensation?
At the time, I couldn't touch my hand to my waist.
I couldn't sleep for about 6-8 months, both shoulders were so sore.
Eventually, it went away on its own, without surgery.
Some things that did help were massage, and a stiff pillow to hug and support the shoulders a little while sleeping on my side.
I'm not any where near 90% of my former range - I just to be able to put one hand over my shoulder and grab the other hand, but it's slowly getting better.

Coming back to those in the thread who had rotator cuff surgery, what was your pain level like at the 4.5-5 week point, if you remember?

I've been going gung-ho on physiotherapy as the surgeon ideally wanted near 100% passive range of motion back at the 6 week point, and that's the end of next week..which is when I have a followup appt with him. I'm not thinking I'm going to make that, especially with external rotation which is severely limited right now, and extremely painful to work.

I've been doing a lot of active-assisted ROM exercises here at home, in addition to physio 3x per week.

However, I've been hitting some plateaus in both, and working the shoulder has caused my pain level to flare up again. Spent 3 hours tossing and turning in bed last night before I finally managed to get something close to sleep. Pretty sure I've worked up a near complete tolerance for the Percocet as well, as they don't seem to be doing squat anymore so far as pain control. Thankfully I t have zero tendency towards addiction so I don't really care from that perspective, but aside from the acetaminophen content (narcotic content aside) they seem like a waste now.

I'm surprisingly sore in general and I'm starting to wonder what others experienced at this point for comparison.

I'm at that awkward point where not working the shoulder and getting back the ROM will set me back in recovery, but working it harder is not only increasing my discomfort, but also freaking me out about injuring the repair potentially.

Back at physiotherapy today at noon - I think I'm going to ask the PT to take it a bit easier on things today.

Last edited:
Again, I did not have surgery but a decently injured shoulder followed by rehab. I had a hard limit to my ROM (I could not raise my arm above my shoulder in any direction, it was like it hit a physical stop). I checked with PT then went into a pool and swept my arms (like making a snow angel). There were a lot of horrible noises and it felt awful, but I regained almost entire ROM in a few minutes of this. PT then worked his magic on improving stability and fixing a couple hitches in my ROM (going from 45 degrees in front over the top to 45 degrees in rear had some notches).

Obviously make sure you check with a knowledgeable person before trying this, you don't want to tear apart the repair.

Coming back to those in the thread who had rotator cuff surgery, what was your pain level like at the 4.5-5 week point, if you remember?

By that time I'd been back racing MX. Pain was no more than any of the other lingering stuff from other injuries.

By that time I'd been back racing MX. Pain was no more than any of the other lingering stuff from other injuries.

I’m guessing you had a small tear then, not a full thickness massive tear like I had where they had to completely reattach to the bone with an implant and stitches.

I was warned even using the arm active (vs passive or active assisted) before 4 weeks risked destroying the repair. It’s 6 weeks before I even get discharged from the sling, I have 2 months or more or light active strengthening (not allowed to lift anythijg heavier than a cup of coffee for another 1.5 weeks yet, then gradual steps) and I was told to forget even thinking about returning to work until 4 months. Maybe 6.

Anyhow, feeling better after today’s physio appt - all my work on the weekend paid off with some extra ROM and he told me to worry less about destroying the repair so long as I follow my limitations and prescribed physio.

Buy dang, it’s slow going...

Next week I’m allowed to start moving the arm under my own power. At this point I don’t think I could get it up and onto my handlebars even if my life depending on it, using a reference we can all equate to.

Last edited:
I’m guessing you had a small tear then, not a full thickness massive tear like I had where they had to completely reattach to the bone with an implant and stitches

Ripped my humerus right out of the socket. Could touch my knee while standing straight up. Not sure exactly what got stitched to what, but he put a screw through the clavicle into the scapula to hold it back in place (it's the vertical scar crossing the horizontal scar on my right shoulder in the pic I posted). Doc knew I'd go too hard too soon on it, so he tossed in some hardware (he was right. I was racing a month later).

Ripped my humerus right out of the socket. (he was right. I was racing a month later).

Your supraspinatus must have been mostly intact - that sort of injury is possible without rupturing/tearing it. If it was torn and repaired doing motorcross a month later would have been physically impossible for you (honestly, most people including myself have no ability to even lift the arm above waist level at 4 weeks), and you'd most certainly have wrecked the repair even if you could.

A supraspinatus repair takes about 4 weeks to even *start* adhering to the bone again at the repair site, and another 3-6 months to become strong enough for moderate work, and reportedly 12 months to actually finish healing.

Some people manage pain better than others.

Some people manage pain better than others.

Respectfully, it's very clear you had a very different surgery than I did.

I've broke my ankle a few years ago (just after buying my VTX) and was back to riding weeks later and mostly normal 5-6 weeks after. I've had a C1-C2 spinal fusion so I'm no stranger to big surgeries as well.

But to put it bluntly, a massive tear supraspinatus repair is a whole different ball of wax. It's not a matter of managing pain better than someone else, it's a matter of not being physically able to even do something if you wanted to. Read back to some of the earlier responses in this thread from people who've had the same surgery.

I guarantee none who've had a massive repair would agree that they'd be doing motocross 4 weeks post op, And if you did you'd have totally destroyed the repair inside a few minutes. I'm not even allowed to drive right now because the simple act of pulling the shifter into gear from park (as well as any unplanned explosive muscle movements, IE bracing for a collision or something) would destroy the repair - pain is completely secondary at this point. Hell, if it was just dealing with pain I'd have been driving inside a week.

4-12 month recoveries are the norm for this surgery. No shortage of stories of people who rushed back to work or ignored doctors orders and destroyed the repair (or ended up with frozen shoulder) who are the statistics who come out of the surgery with no improvement (or worse off) than before. My whole goal with bothering to have the surgery is to actually fix it - I was tired of sleepless nights and not being able to get my arm over my head without it being a 10 second painful ordeal to get it there, much less back down again.

Back
Top Bottom