Advertising your business - What methods are the most effective? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Advertising your business - What methods are the most effective?

used car sales is a local business, wouldn't spend much time/money
reaching beyond your neighborhood with online ads
so like you mentioned, these sound logical to me:

Leaning towards the King and Queen bus ads as well as standard interior posters and possibly a shelter poster or two.

.....Korry's has been around forever and they've always done the radio thing so....the proof is in the pudding? ...

Its his voice that gets me. I can honestly say I cant remember any other radio commercials except his. I have never bought as suit there and never will but if I lived downtown maybe I would have.

If you go radio get a voice that sounds like he is about to die...seems to work.

Its his voice that gets me. I can honestly say I cant remember any other radio commercials except his. I have never bought as suit there and never will but if I lived downtown maybe I would have.

If you go radio get a voice that sounds like he is about to die...seems to work.

Oh come on, the Spence guy tops the list. most annoying (yet effective) radio voice ever....

Here is a different perspective. In a world where everyone sells a widget i.e. a car, vaccum cleaner, whatever, its hard to distinguish one business from one to the next.

A car is a generic tool used by all, thus the competition for business is high. Like most, I have had both positive and very negative experiences buying both new/used vehicles. Years ago, my dad always went to the same GM dealership every ~10 years and bought the same truck from the same guy, because that's what you did. You haggled for $2000 off and a set of winter tires, and got a "deal". We can talk about the good 'old days, but reality is most of that fat is already cut now, so the fake smiles and "deals" are largely gone.

Here is my point, as a buyer, I do not go to a dealers website and see what cars they have, I search all cars and see which dealers comes up. I will research several dealers and go from there. The sequence of events here is the distinction. In a world of widgets, personally I am brand agnostic, I search for product. I then check the BBB, etc. to check for red flags and go from there. While a bad review or two is expected, I look for general trends in what people though of a business. Some will never be pleased, others will always give an A+. Unfortunately the internet does not regulate the competency of a reviewer, so its all with a grain of salt. Volume of quality review is important here. If a dealer takes the time to put effort in the deal, I will put effort in the review. Its that simple.

Do you know what you are selling? And I don't mean the brochure. Do you know the service history? What are the common issues with this particular model (I'm not asking, I already know, I'm just seeing if your are B.S'ing me or not). Tell me straight up what the car needs and what it does not and do not waste my time. Quote all prices on paper, and do not try to renag or fudge them.

I'll go for a test drive and judge for myself. Ask me if you should assist or not (I will always say no, but I get others may like that), do not just hop in.

Service is the key to any widget business. Everyone promises it, but very few deliver. Did you meet me at a scheduled appointment time, or did I have to stand there for 20 minutes while you gabbed on the phone? I don't care if you are talking to someone else, call them back, we had an appointment. If I showed up off the street, a few minutes is fine, but 20 minutes is not. Did I have to ask 5 times for a delivery date, or did you voluntarily keep me updated on the progress? Did you do what you said you were going to do? Are all of the paid for add-ons in there, or do I have to come back again? Did you verify the 3rd party put the right tint on the car? etc. When I showed up, was the vehicle presented as though you actually cared about the deal or did you have to fish it out of the back of the lot? Its the little details that shows you are a professional that the vast majority miss. In a world where price is largely the same, its the little things.

And number 1, did you take ownership of issues, or just blame them on someone else? That's the biggest one. Not "I'll have my guy do it when I get a chance". No. "I will get it done", is the only answer. I don't care how. Get it done. This leads to a good review, which leads to more sales.

It's the experience that sells the business, not a business that sells the experience. IMO all marketing is B.S. Results are everything.

Last edited:
The cheapest form of advertising I can think of is a vehicle wrap. Vehicle graphics are way cheaper than radio, newspaper, mail outs etc.

Eg. say you fully wrap a large cargo van for $4000 (estimate). It will last minimum 5 years. Should last closer to 10 years though. So if we use 5 years on a $4000 wrap. That's only $66/month. If you even just park this van on a busy street you will get between 20,000-40,000 views a day! From locals...They also don't require a permit like signs.

Back
Top Bottom