Transitioning from a cruiser to a sport bike | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Transitioning from a cruiser to a sport bike

I disaree with your article the part about:
"Women will check you out"

I used to think that too, but its mostly just kids or dudes that are checking you out

They do actually, many won't admit it (asked girls about this lol, also my gf boosts my ego watching her friends check me out before telling them I'm her bf).

However, I haven't ever picked up a girl riding. I've only picked up bros at gas stations on bikes...same goes for lifting. Most guys get into the lifting or riding for girls...and all we get are men!

Only thing i have seen that is sure to work so far is babies, they will literally flock to you in droves, if you are walking around with a cute baby

But then your likely to spend less time riding and more time changing diapers so...

Only thing i have seen that is sure to work so far is babies, they will literally flock to you in droves, if you are walking around with a cute baby

But then your likely to spend less time riding and more time changing diapers so...

We must be in different age groups. Though I am approaching that age where all of my friends are having accidents.

Oh dont worry, she'll be getting baby rabies soon enough

Also, since you mentioned insurance, despite it's popularity on this board every insurance company I've talked to about lowering a bike said they would not insure a lowered bike and would not honor any claims made on one that has been lowered at all.
Wow, i've never heard about that with respect to insurance. if that's the case i'm sol since basically every bike but a cruiser is too tall for me!

Try track courses like racer5 or fast phase 1. You will learn so much but you dont have to worry about insurance or buying the bike right away. If u enjoy it, sell your current bike and get the SS. Or just get an extra bike, a dedicated track bike.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Thanks- that is a really good suggestion. To be honest, I didn't think of that, but is probably a really good idea since i've never been on a sport bike before. Have you taken either course?

I just recently moved from a ninja 250 to a 2007 triumph daytona. The difference was huge, I was so intimidated at first. The daytona has been my dream bike since I first got into riding so I highly recommend that bike lol. I had to get used to the difference in power and riding position. I still miss puttering along on my 250 though but I just love triumphs. The only thing I can complain about is how the daytona cooks my nuts if I stuck on dvp traffic.

Ya i'm pretty much in the same boat. It's been my favorite bike in that class since I first saw it- and then seeing it in person, it's like none of the other bikes there even existed! What was it like going from a 250 to the Daytona? Is it hard to get used to how much more sensitive the throttle is?

I have a Daytona 675 and I love the bike. And my insurance now is $1000/year with full coverage. That said, at 5'3", you're going to have a hell of a time any time you need to stop. The seat height on that bike is incredibly high, and the only bike I've ever ridden with more aggressive ergonomics is a Ducati 848. Regarding power band, as was said earlier, on the 675 you don't have to run the bike to 9000+ rpm's before any magic happens, it's always there. My opinion, get a street triple.

I plan on lowering it until I get used to the bike, then see how it goes-like if i would feel comfortable holding it up with one foot down at a light. I hate to do it, but that's what short people have to do!

One other thing to consider is that the insurance company isn't making money off of you since your bike was written off or badly damaged. If you happen to jump to a more powerful bike, and then write that off . . .

I disaree with your article the part about:
"Women will check you out"

I used to think that too, but its mostly just kids or dudes that are checking you out
From a girl's perspective it's not very different! I find that unless the guy also rides, or has a passive interest in bikes they just think you're nuts!

Thanks- that is a really good suggestion. To be honest, I didn't think of that, but is probably a really good idea since i've never been on a sport bike before. Have you taken either course?
Yeah, I did fast phase 1. The amount of learning I did in a day is incredible. I wouldnt be able to learn that much by myself on a year.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Honestly i think its just a matter of technique and getting used to a taller bike, im fairly tall but even i cant flatfoot a proper dirt or dualsport bike, but once you have the technique down, your ok, the only time it might get weird is at stop lights, but im sure there is a workaround there as well

I didnt realize, but yeah if the lowering throws the suspension off into a fit, its probably better to not lower it at all.

You can still get a fast bike, it doesnt HAVE to be a supersport, or very tall

Earlier i was looking at the Thruxton, 100 hp, and 80 ft/lb of torque, not to mention IT IS GORGEOUS.
Look around, there are bound to be plenty of fast bikes that you can fit on to without lowering

Honestly i think its just a matter of technique and getting used to a taller bike, im fairly tall but even i cant flatfoot a proper dirt or dualsport bike, but once you have the technique down, your ok, the only time it might get weird is at stop lights, but im sure there is a workaround there as well

I didnt realize, but yeah if the lowering throws the suspension off into a fit, its probably better to not lower it at all.

You can still get a fast bike, it doesnt HAVE to be a supersport, or very tall

Earlier i was looking at the Thruxton, 100 hp, and 80 ft/lb of torque, not to mention IT IS GORGEOUS.
Look around, there are bound to be plenty of fast bikes that you can fit on to without lowering

Ya that is a gorgeous bike. I've tried shopping around but they are literally all too tall. Even a CBR500 was too tall for me. I understand that you compromise the performance when you mess around with lowering it, i was just planning on it for maybe the first season until i get more comfortable with all the additional power, and taking off at a stoplight with a throttle that is much more responsive

What has this world come to?

I wouldn't date a girl who rides lol

I can easily see myself getting into a million arguments with her to not go squid.

motorcycling is a sausagefest anyway, would be way better off looking elsewhere.

If your a female however, life is good!

Monster 696 has about 30" seat height stock. That is as low as you get on a (modern) non-cruiser bike.

I would look at shaving the seat down before I would lower the suspension. Width of the seat is a huge factor as well.

Dropping the bike while standing is one thing but dropping the bike while in the twisties because its geometry is out of whack is another.

Last edited:
Wrong again!

Another thread filled with ignorance and misinformation.

Nah, there's some ignorance and misinformation, but the thread isn't filled with it. Do you see the irony in your statement yet?
It did take a sharp turn somewhere to start talking about girls in the middle, but that's normal around here.

If you want your fill of ignorance and misinformation, there are many, Many, MANY, much better threads for that.

The info I had was that the CBR600RR might be discontinued in Europe if they can't get the emissions down.

https://gearheads.org/the-2017-honda-cbr600rr-it-lives/

Back
Top Bottom