Transitioning from a cruiser to a sport bike | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Transitioning from a cruiser to a sport bike

Try track courses like racer5 or fast phase 1. You will learn so much but you dont have to worry about insurance or buying the bike right away. If u enjoy it, sell your current bike and get the SS. Or just get an extra bike, a dedicated track bike.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I just recently moved from a ninja 250 to a 2007 triumph daytona. The difference was huge, I was so intimidated at first. The daytona has been my dream bike since I first got into riding so I highly recommend that bike lol. I had to get used to the difference in power and riding position. I still miss puttering along on my 250 though but I just love triumphs. The only thing I can complain about is how the daytona cooks my nuts if I stuck on dvp traffic.

You might be disappointed, the 600 class especially is dead below 7-8-9k rpms

I might be wrong but I don't think the triple in the Daytona suffers the same low-RPM lethargy of its 4-cylinder counterparts. Not sure which Daytona the OP is looking at but the 675 has good torque production down low.

Cant really use them in their powerband until your doing license suspending speeds.(Or so i hear)

This is true of most motorcycles above the learner class machines.

One could argue that one can never fully use the power or abilities of a Corvette or Ferrari (or even a modern BMW...) but they're still amazing vehicles on the street and can be driven responsibly. Just saying one can ride very capable bikes and enjoy them without breaking laws...

Not to mention insurance costs.

Definitely needs to be the #1 thing the OP does: Call his/her agent and get a quote.

This is true of most motorcycles above the learner class machines.

One could argue that one can never fully use the power or abilities of a Corvette or Ferrari (or even a modern BMW...) but they're still amazing vehicles on the street and can be driven responsibly. Just saying one can ride very capable bikes and enjoy them without breaking laws...

Definitely needs to be the #1 thing the OP does: Call his/her agent and get a quote.

The naked bike i recently demo'd had LOTS of power pretty much from the get go(fz 09) and everywhere in large quantities

Keep in mind that super sports are not designed for casual riding but for track.

Almost everyone I know is going the "naked" or sport touring way.
Insurance is one reason, comfort - another (both ergos and better suited power delivery).
^ this X 100 Sport bikes are a dying breed, the future belongs to fun street usable sport tourers or nakeds

Which explains why honda killed off the 600RR, and the only thing yamaha updated on the new R6 is the sticker

Last edited:
Bigpoppa, I'm curious how many 600 super sports have you ridden? You make them sound like terrible bikes that are miserable to ride. I can assure you they are not, in fact the complete opposite. The gear shifter is there for a reason if you use it then a 600 has PLENTY of power for any kind of riding.

I'm over the sport bike thing right now only because I've had a few. 110% I'll have another one at some point though because the bikes are a lot of fun to ride.

I dont see how anything on 2 wheels can be 'miserable' to ride, but its fairly common knowledge that its pointless to ride a SS on a street, sure you can do it, just like you can ride a 50cc scooter around the world, but with insurance cost, and the need to chase the power on those bikes, nakeds and sport tourers being so much fun, it just doesnt make sense.

The sales numbers must not make sense if the big manufacturers are starting to ax the SS, even heard suzuki is looking to phase out its gsxr 600

All I know is, i could NOT keep a straight face while riding the fz. Regardless of where i was in the revs

Op,

The Daytona triple is a beautiful bike and the sound is intoxicating. Riding one is just as much.

Check your bank account and your insurance and do what ever motivates you.

Is it a change? Absolutely. No comparison.

Don't think I've ever read a post of someone getting a Daytona and regretting it. Maybe the insurance cost? Maybe crashing?

I'm sure previous owners sold them for their own reasons but, not likely because they didn't have fun or didn't like them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Daytona 675 and I love the bike. And my insurance now is $1000/year with full coverage. That said, at 5'3", you're going to have a hell of a time any time you need to stop. The seat height on that bike is incredibly high, and the only bike I've ever ridden with more aggressive ergonomics is a Ducati 848. Regarding power band, as was said earlier, on the 675 you don't have to run the bike to 9000+ rpm's before any magic happens, it's always there. My opinion, get a street triple.

You might be disappointed, the 600 class especially is dead below 7-8-9k rpms

Cant really use them in their powerband until your doing license suspending speeds.(Or so i hear)
(By the time the real power starts to come on, your already on the radar of most cops in your area)

Not to mention insurance costs.

See if you can test ride before you buy.

Would be kind of silly to buy a SS only to ride 80 km/h all day

Dead is a relative term. They're still going to be faster than most cruisers before they get into the "real power".

SS bikes are very fun and easy to ride. You don't get into trouble if you respect the machine. That goes for any vehicle, tbh. I would love to get a sport tourer in future but none of them are good looking imo.

... And ergos are brutal for every day riding. Once again - it may work for some but having the handle bar below my nuts doesn't do it for me. Same with the permanent neck crank and folding my knees over my ears. ;)
It must be worse for some. I'm 6'3' 210 with 'runners knee" on both legs and still consider my gsxr comfortable for the daily.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

It must be worse for some. I'm 6'3' 210 with 'runners knee" on both legs and still consider my gsxr comfortable for the daily.

I don't doubt it, I have a friend your size and he likes his CBR1000 too. However SSs are not designed with comfort in mind but performance.

Ultimately you get what you like but some people have blinds on their eyes, quite often due to peer pressure or perceived image. Instead of trying out different types of motorcycles, they automatically choose SS just to "belong."

I dont see how anything on 2 wheels can be 'miserable' to ride, but its fairly common knowledge that its pointless to ride a SS on a street, sure you can do it, just like you can ride a 50cc scooter around the world, but with insurance cost, and the need to chase the power on those bikes, nakeds and sport tourers being so much fun, it just doesnt make sense.

The sales numbers must not make sense if the big manufacturers are starting to ax the SS, even heard suzuki is looking to phase out its gsxr 600

All I know is, i could NOT keep a straight face while riding the fz. Regardless of where i was in the revs

So you haven't ridden one but feel the need to give your opinion on the characteristics of how they ride. Interesting.

And apparently everyone agrees with me, even more interesting

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

https://lynart.wordpress.com/2016/06/11/why-a-supersport-on-legal-roads-is-stupid/

I wrote the above before converting my 08 GSX R750 into a track bike...then selling it due to needing funds.

Now, out of desperation, I bought a liter bike from a friend because the price was very good.

Everything I wrote in that article is still valid, and I know many track junkies (on here) don't ride SS bikes on legal roads for similar reasons.

With regards to lowering your motorcycle, you can do it without telling your insurance but under no circumstances should you keep it lowered any longer than you need to learn; preferably don't lower it all.

I am 5'6, a midget compared to all these 6'0+ riders I know. I cannot place both legs on the ground on my current bike due to liter bikes being wider. I literally slide my *** off the seat before hitting red lights or stop signs so I can put a foot on the ground.

My ex is 4'11, and also one of the fastest riders I know. Her legs are so short she passed a bunch of us without dragging knee while we couldn't help but drag knee; her outside foot wasn't even on the peg. Her first bike was a lowered Ninja 250. After becoming better at riding, she immediately unlowered the bike and told us how much more stable the bike felt.

Lowering any motorcycle, in order to raise your confidence, has one very significant draw back: it completely rapes the handling of the bike. Keep that in mind when lowering any motorcycle.

I disaree with your article the part about:
"Women will check you out"

I used to think that too, but its mostly just kids or dudes that are checking you out

Back
Top Bottom