Caliper Cleaning TnT (Seal Grooves). | GTAMotorcycle.com

Caliper Cleaning TnT (Seal Grooves).

Flywheel

Making my way through the joyless chore of cleaning the brake calipers and replacing the seals. It's a special kind of filth as you all know. A grime that laughs at soaps and solvents, with stubborn underlay of...something. Dried brake fluid? Inside the seal grooves to be specific. It's difficult to be effective at that weird angle and I'm not sure how tough the aluminum is. I want it squeaky clean, not scratchy clean. What say you, gentlemechanics? A smart and foolproof(ish) DIY solution is needed. I have the basics: toothbrush, q-tips, various cleaners (water and petroleum based). Any ideas from the brain trust? Thanks in advance.

When I rebuilt a set of calipers I used walnut shell blasting, if you can find someone with the equipment.

popsicle stick

Just my luck, I have cold-sensitive teeth and not one of them is a sweet tooth. I will see what I can dig up.

I used a dremel type tool, with a small brass wire brush and went at it until the grove was nice and clean..

Is that safe for the caliper? That's got to be pretty abrasive, no? I have seen recommendations of this sort before but I hesitate. My experience with Dremels has shown they excel at vandalizing things you intend to fix. Mind you, I'm a bit on the clumsy side.

No access to media blasting at the moment, DJM. I could probably take them to PRO 6, but I'm a bit stubborn. While probably not true, I like to think the experience makes me smarter. No crashes or flying parts yet, however.

Last edited:
wooden coffee stir sticks...but they are a bit thin. You can get the popsicle sticks at craft stores....or buy some kids some popsicles...or melt them and drink after cleaning calipers.

I guess Im spoiled because I have access to an industrial ultrasonic cleaner. There is nothing better IMO

But, brake cleaner works well. If you're replacing all the seals and dust boots, pull them out and discard them, then just go to town on the caliper and components with brake cleaner and some small brushes.

Then wash them with hot water and soap, then rinse well with hot water. Use compressed air to dry them and to make sure the oil passages are clear from debris

Brake Cleaner + dollar store tooth brushers and misc brushers....
shop air works well to blow stuff away.

wooden coffee stir sticks...but they are a bit thin. You can get the popsicle sticks at craft stores....or buy some kids some popsicles...or melt them and drink after cleaning calipers.

Buying random kids popsicles sounds like a good way to get mauled by angry soccer moms. Also, melted popsicle drank? Gah. I grew up with powdered milk and relish sandwiches, thinking it couldn't get worse. Still, I am sourcing wooden sticks.

I guess Im spoiled because I have access to an industrial ultrasonic cleaner. There is nothing better IMO

But, brake cleaner works well. If you're replacing all the seals and dust boots, pull them out and discard them, then just go to town on the caliper and components with brake cleaner and some small brushes.

Then wash them with hot water and soap, then rinse well with hot water. Use compressed air to dry them and to make sure the oil passages are clear from debris

Good tips, except for the neat-but-expensive ultrasonic cleaner. Unlike Jerry Lee Lewis, my right hand only makes $20 a day, the and left $15. Soapy water will have to do.

Brake Cleaner + dollar store tooth brushers and misc brushers....
shop air works well to blow stuff away.

I just noticed I bought David Suzuki non-chlorinated brake cleaner. Maybe that's why the spray wasn't giving the gunk a hard time? Chlorine is the badass of the periodic table, you know. Various brushes and Chinesium air compressor ready to rock!

All good ideas, gents. Thank you for the assistance.

It was a holdover from my Dad's childhood, I think--when you're being bombed by the Nazis, even fake milk can be a nostaligic luxury. Still remember the giant paper sacks of the stuff, piled high in Dominion. Blue background with a smiling father and child on the front.

Back
Top Bottom