Where to go for rear shock refresh? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Where to go for rear shock refresh?

Owen

Where can I take a rear shock to get refreshed? It's from a 2006 GSXR600 and going on a Ninja 250. I only paid like $35 for the shock. Low-ish KM but it's 10 years old.

What would it typically cost?

Is it difficult to do yourself? I've dissembled and reassembled front damper rod forks/seals/oil probably a dozen or so times on different bikes but never done a rear shock.

So Pro6 and riders choice won't/can't do a stock GSXR shock.

Racetech can do a rebuild of the seals etc and put in their components if I decide.

Now I just need to decide.

Fast Company!! They just built me an olins rear for an 03 gsxr and rebuilt the front with race tech. Amazing job!

Are they still in Breslau? I know the shop was up for sale some time ago

Fast Company!! They just built me an olins rear for an 03 gsxr and rebuilt the front with race tech. Amazing job!

elka shocks, priced a shock for a ninja 250 about a year ago - $499

With tax ($565), that's almost what I paid for the bike. If I can't use that shock on another bike down the road, I'm not interested in spending more than a couple hundred max. The stock GSXR 600 shock is more than capable for the Ninja 250...it just need to be refreshed.

On the flip side, I've been riding on an untouched stock Ninja 250 shock that's almost as old and doing okay with it. I could also just put this thing on and see how it goes?

The main reason why I'm looking for rear improvements is on the recommendation of the tire service guys when I asked about a really weird waving/wear pattern on the rear after putting some new tires on. The tire is 150/60 compared to the 140/70 | 130/70 recommended sizes, so that could also have something to do with it.

Another Ninja 250 rider (Mike Rainowski) can pull off 1:22's with the stock rear while I'm a couple seconds slower right now (still improving every weekend though, YAY!)

Yes. Still in Breslau. He is looking to move but as far as i know he will still be running the business wherever he ends up

Disclaimer, I'm more of a mx guy with no track bike experience. Just thinking out loud to maybe give you another idea.

I doubt a gsxr shock will just bolt up to a ninja 250 so instead of rebuilding that and then messing around trying to get the thing to fit why not have race tech rebuild your stock ninja shock with a gold valve kit and revalve it to your specific use. If a guy is getting around alright on a stock shock it would probably work out pretty good and your not hacking anything up.

Disclaimer, I'm more of a mx guy with no track bike experience. Just thinking out loud to maybe give you another idea.

I doubt a gsxr shock will just bolt up to a ninja 250 so instead of rebuilding that and then messing around trying to get the thing to fit why not have race tech rebuild your stock ninja shock with a gold valve kit and revalve it to your specific use. If a guy is getting around alright on a stock shock it would probably work out pretty good and your not hacking anything up.

It's as bolt on as you can get without actually being bolt on. A few minor modifications. It's been done before by lots of people.

If money is going to be spent, it's not going to be on the stock ninja 250 shock. They're probably the cheapest shocks around. Would be better to have the gsxr shock rebuilt instead, for the same price.

With tax ($565), that's almost what I paid for the bike. If I can't use that shock on another bike down the road, I'm not interested in spending more than a couple hundred max. The stock GSXR 600 shock is more than capable for the Ninja 250...it just need to be refreshed.

lol your cheap like me ! like.
how much is a new rear tire?

Isn't the 300 ninja shock stiffer sprung and bolt on? wouldn't a gsxr shock need a spring and re-valving of comp./rebound? seals spring and oil, ride height, and who can do it now? Maybe Im all wrong and you have researched this. just food for thought. fork springs stock?

edit- I like owens earlier post "to just put it on as is and see" this approach doesn't cost $ and whats to lose? really appreciate your low budget have fun race set up. Let the stopwatch decide ...curious, please let us know how it works out.

Last edited:
lol your cheap like me ! like.
how much is a new rear tire?

Isn't the 300 ninja shock stiffer sprung and bolt on? wouldn't a gsxr shock need a spring and re-valving of comp./rebound? seals spring and oil, ride height, and who can do it now? Maybe Im all wrong and you have researched this. just food for thought. fork springs stock?

edit- I like owens earlier post "to just put it on as is and see" this approach doesn't cost $ and whats to lose? really appreciate your low budget have fun race set up. Let the stopwatch decide ...curious, please let us know how it works out.

Not cheap. Some upgrades just don't make sense money wise. It's fun racing, not some huge championship.

The problem with putting it on and seeing what happens with out proper research/advice is that it can have a negative effect on handling and end up crashy crashy.

The 300 stock is only preload adjustable. The 2006 GSXR600 stock spring is in my weight range, according to Racetech. Ride height is only a few mm higher and can raise the front equal amount to compensate. The big unknown for me is the condition of the internals of the rear shock I have.

Current front forks are Racetech springs and all that fun stuff.

Not cheap. Some upgrades just don't make sense money wise. It's fun racing, not some huge championship.

The problem with putting it on and seeing what happens with out proper research/advice is that it can have a negative effect on handling and end up crashy crashy.

The 300 stock is only preload adjustable. The 2006 GSXR600 stock spring is in my weight range, according to Racetech. Ride height is only a few mm higher and can raise the front equal amount to compensate. The big unknown for me is the condition of the internals of the rear shock I have.

Current front forks are Racetech springs and all that fun stuff.

Sounds like the shock is a good fit for your bike. sorry about the Cheap remark lol.
google fast company kitchener waterloo and you can get a tel number. and Z1 cycle in etobicoke may do a shock refresh. can't think of any places closer to hamilton.

Last edited:
sorry about the Cheap remark lol.

All good!

Turns out the rear ride hight actually drops by a few MM (slower steering) but longer dogbones will bring it back up to stock. I could also go up a few MM to quicken the steering, but this thing already falls in to corners (my front is dropped a few MM), so stock rear is good enough for me.

Back
Top Bottom