Canadians are taxed below the OECD average | GTAMotorcycle.com

Canadians are taxed below the OECD average

It's all relative. We are neighbours with USA, which we tend compare everything with. their taxes are lower than ours, ergo, our taxes are too high.

Maybe I'm reading this incorrectly. But is this not a comparison of tax per GDP average? All this tells me is that Canada has a higher GDP. It doesn't accurately represent what the average tax percent is per person. I always thought that when you combine all the taxes we pay...income, property, sales etc... it actually works out to almost 55% of the average persons income. I seriously doubt for example that the average in Italy is higher than Canada.

Switzerland & USA, Capitalism rocks!

Taxation is theft!

What a bizarre chart. Even if relevant, the point is what? Hey these other governments rape their citizens even harder, be happy? Lol

Maybe I'm reading this incorrectly. But is this not a comparison of tax per GDP average? All this tells me is that Canada has a higher GDP. It doesn't accurately represent what the average tax percent is per person. I always thought that when you combine all the taxes we pay...income, property, sales etc... it actually works out to almost 55% of the average persons income. I seriously doubt for example that the average in Italy is higher than Canada.

It may be accurate. There's a culture of rampant tax avoidance in a few European countries (you might be able to guess which ones) which would mean higher relative taxes to cope with that.

IMO any discussion about taxes needs to be prefaced with the acknowledgement that anyone born white in Canada between 1950 and present day is among the richest, most entitled, safest cohorts in the history of the world. We are so incredibly lucky. Our quality of life is better than most of the population of the world will ever know.

Now, with that out of the way, let's talk about how awful our taxes are.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

The discussion shouldn't be about tax % it should be about how our tax money is being spent. It should also be about our government's inability to ever reduce spending instead of thinking up new ways to grow their revenues. This BS about minimum wages is a perfect example. Complacency is for the weak.

IMO any discussion about taxes needs to be prefaced with the acknowledgement that anyone born white in Canada between 1950 and present day is among the richest, most entitled, safest cohorts in the history of the world. We are so incredibly lucky. Our quality of life is better than most of the population of the world will ever know.

Now, with that out of the way, let's talk about how awful our taxes are.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Wth bubble do you live in. Clearly you made out great because the country seem to be run my sane people (business people).

The point is about today. In 1950-!970 (maybe 80's) A family of 4 could live in a modest house within the 416.
The father could work for the post office or TTC bus driver let's say and the mother stays at home to raise the children.
They might own a small car...kids went to Uni/College.

So, that is 1 person working a "regular job" taking care of 3 others while paying for a home in the 416.
Try that exact formula today. Divorce rate is now at 50-60%, more than back then. That means 1 parent might be raising kids alone or split between the homes.
Average price for a small family home in the 416 is $700k+...905 is not that much better either.

Man, you seriously miss the mark.
In your day...did the govt spend $1 BILLION NOT to build a powerplant???
What was the deficit back in your day?

The discussion shouldn't be about tax % it should be about how our tax money is being spent. It should also be about our government's inability to ever reduce spending instead of thinking up new ways to grow their revenues. This BS about minimum wages is a perfect example. Complacency is for the weak.

Is there one country where a portion of that country doesn't ***** and moan about how taxes are spent? If some people are happy on one area you can bet another are ****ing livid.

I don't know. I live in this one.

Who would be happy about billions wasted on power plant projects and modernized health records?

Who would be happy about billions wasted on power plant projects and modernized health records?

correction...you mean $1 BILLION spent to NOT build a power plant.
WE paid $1 BILLION for dirt we already owned that is still dirt.

I'm annoyed and hopefully the idiots that did it will pay for it but hopefully not be replaced with even bigger idiots. One can only hope right?

Modernizing health records is something we actually badly need. It should be done properly though.

The discussion shouldn't be about tax % it should be about how our tax money is being spent. It should also be about our government's inability to ever reduce spending instead of thinking up new ways to grow their Friend's revenues. This BS about minimum wages is a perfect example. Complacency is for the weak.

Exactly.

Are you talking about the giant duck? Come on that was a wise use of money!

Back
Top Bottom