Noob to track days, are tire warmers a must? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Noob to track days, are tire warmers a must?

As BrianP stated.
Full "street" tires will overheat and degrade quickly when put on warmers and will become slick ...and not the good kind of slick.

Just take the 1st lap or 2 at a med pace each session out to build up the temp and you will be fine.

Got this list from a friend who tracks/races. Modified it a little to meet my needs; this should get you more or less in the right direction.

Track Day Packing List
General
Bike
Bike Key
Front & Rear Stands
Tie Downs
Jerry Can & Small Can (20L Total)fill all jerry cans and bike
Ipad (incl. charger)
Phone (incl. charger)
Camping Chair
Cooler
Water & Gatorade & Food
Canopy
Buckets for Water/Canopy Weights
Track Day Voucher
Tools in Rubbermaid
Cordless Drill
Socket Set / Wrenches / Allen Keys
Wire Cutters / Needle Nose Pliers
Electrical Tape & Blue Loctite
Tire Pressure Gauge
Bike Pump
Rear Axle Socket
Zip Ties
Spare Levers
Brake Fluid
Engine Oil
Chain Lube / Brake Cleaner
Flashlight
Terry Cloths / Shop Towels
Gear in Rubbermaid
Helmet (in Bag) x 2
Dark & Clear Visors
Leathers
Clothes Hanger for Leathers
Ear Plugs (multiple sets)
Boots, Gloves, Back Protector
Dry-Fit shirts
Dry-Fit pants
Hoodie/Jacket
Baseball cap
Flip Flops
Running Shoes
Towel
Bug Spray & Sunblock

Thank you. Lots on here I would not have thought of but I can see the use for sure. If I forget anything is there any near by shops or stores to bail one out?

Near Shannonville? If you forget food/drinks or need fuel, there are a couple of stores in the town of Shannonville itself (6 - 7 km away from track), anything bigger you are going into Belleville. But feel free to ask your neighbors in the paddock.

Track folks are plenty friendly.
If you forget something, need to borrow a tool, need some bike setup help etc... just ask.
Everyone is new and needs help at one time or another.

Have not set up my suspension(stock settings seem ok for the road so far with my current weight). But that would be something I would like some hands on advice. I am more then capable of doing the work but as for settings this is all new to me. My back ground is in racing XC and DH mtb bikes, so I will be able to read the bikes feed back, but need help with what to do with that info. Like I posted before will have beer for those that lend a hand(If of age). Sounds like the same type of vibe at the track as we have on the hills and trails.

Cheers guys

A couple points to touch on. Dricked is correct. Your S21's will be fine, Q3, Diablo Rosso Corsa, Supercorsa SP, etc are all excellent street tires for a track day. You can run them until you get to top of yellow/red group.

Race tires aren't for everyone, they are a trade off. They need to be quite hot to work well. Warmers are nice, because you start at a consistent temperature out of the gate with maximum grip, you are not trying to guess "if they are hot enough yet?" to really get on it. Its nice to know you can go into turn 1 on lap 1 full blast. Trackdays are expensive, not spending laps warming up tires does become helpful once you reach a quick pace. That said, if you don't have the pace (especially if it's a cool day), race tires will cool and loose grip quickly. When a race tire cools, it becomes less effective and they have a limited number of heat cycles. In the green group, IMO most riders are better off on a warm hypersport tire than a cool race tire.

Superbike pros are no longer for sale, Pirelli now sells an SC3 which should be better. The SBK Pro's dropped off fairly quickly. Yes, you could get quite a few days out of them, but grip was an issue. You could run the SBK Pro's them without warmers, but I don't know that it was a great idea, they took quite a while to heat.

Most people are more than willing to lend a hand, so if you need something be sure to reach out to other riders. If you have questions about lines, etc. just ask one of the red group riders if they'll take you out for a couple laps.

Lots of people helped me out. Made some great new friends. The Battlax 21 were amazing!!!! For sure keeping them on my bike. Lots of traction and did not even hit there limits. Matt from RC had me run 28psi rear 32psi Front, and he was bang on. Thanks to all that helped out. I thought I had an addition before. Lap days are a gateway drug. Going to rehab at Fast school phase 1/2 lol. Was really happy with the bike. It was pulling with the 1000s, guys said it was because the short straits it was my torque advantage. 200km/h then right turn. Omg hooked!!!!

6c349e64dcd93200fdcd54b3897a2b6a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

sounds like you had a great time. Fast 1 & 2 are great courses. I would recommend them or any of the racer5 courses. You will have many bikes through your riding career, but skill always stays with you.

Get ready for an expensive addiction.
Last summer I got bit by the track bug.

Did FAST 1, 2, and 3, bought a track bike, genny, warmers, leathers, new dedicated gear, stands, spare parts, etc, etc, etc...

Still cheaper than a drug habit I suppose, nut not by much... : )

not sure about cheaper than drugs lol

all starts with a track day or 2, a year later you are shopping for an enclosed trailer, towing capacity becomes a deciding factor when shopping for cars, and you plan out your vacation around Mosport week in August.

Only a problem if you admit it. He now has a problem ;)

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

yup.

not sure about cheaper than drugs lol

all starts with a track day or 2, a year later you are shopping for an enclosed trailer, towing capacity becomes a deciding factor when shopping for cars, and you plan out your vacation around Mosport week in August.

Funny seems like a drug as i give up others things to do it so seems equal to me.

Trailer in driveway and garage full of bike stuff and room in house with all the gear no wonder in single

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

It only becomes a real problem if you start prostituting for track time and tires.

...would make a real interesting episode of "Intervention" hahaha

LOL i work extra days to be able to pay for tires and track days

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom