Noob to track days, are tire warmers a must? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Noob to track days, are tire warmers a must?

Ethereal

The more i read up on track days the more I find that the runs are short and tire warmers are ran by what sounds like everyone. Beiing new to this I am running reg street tires(Battlax hypersport 21) Will I be ok with grip? and how long does it take to warm them up without? My first day is this Thursday at SMP and rain may be in the forecast. From what I have learned it seems that tracks tire need to be preheated more then street tires, but the last thing I want to do is low side my first time out by not being prepare.

Do not use warmers on street tires.

You'll be fine with what you've got. Most high performance street tires will be fine until you move up to intermediate group or possibly even advanced. Be smooth and your tires wont give you any hassles. After a lap or two your tires will have heat but don't go ham fisting it at the apex or trying to late brake to the apex or you may have a bad time.

As Dricked said you'll be fine with street tires and no warmers. I just did my first track day with my track bike last week; I ran Q3's on my SV and had no grip issues at all. Have a nice out lap, dial up the speed a bit for the second and have fun on lap 3 and on. Enjoy its a blast!

As has already been posted, u should be ok with those tires for ur first couple track days (all will depend on ur pace).

Although sessions may seem short when u think of them in terms of minutes, u will have more than enough laps to enjoy ur day (u'd be surprised how long a full 15 min session could feel on track). So with that said, make sure to use the first 2-3 laps minimum of each session to get ur tires up to temp before u start to push a bit. By the time ur pace is ready for race DOTs or slicks, u'll have used those tires up and need new rubber anyway. U might as well get ur money's worth for those tires ?

Last point is that if ur tires are really not suitable to be on track, it will get flagged at tech inspection. As long as there is tire service there (Rider's Choice, who is hosting ur day, likely provides tire service although I can't say for certain), u can buy new rubber and get it mounted there (u'll just need to be able to take ur wheels off and out them back on).

AJ

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. Have not been this excited for a long time. I really feel like a kid before Christmas. Will need to put some miles in as my tank is full atm and most suggest running 1/4 of a tank so there is less fatigue to me due to the extra weight. My tire should be good, they have full tread and the reviews say they are great for the occasional track day. 2-3 laps first time out will feel fast as I have nothing to compare my speed to. Looking to ride like I do on the street and I should be ok. Once I get more comfortable I will see if any could give me tips. Will have a beer for those that help me out and are of age.

Last edited:
Take your time, learn the track, and build confidence slowly.
Too many people go out trying to be heroes and get into trouble real fast.
Ride your bike, not the guy in front of you.

Thanks guys. Have not been this excited for a long time. I really feel like a kid before Christmas. Will need to put some miles in as my tank is full atm and most suggest running 1/4 of a tank so there is less fatigue to me due to the extra weight. My tire should be good, they have full tread and the reviews say they are great for the occasional track day. 2-3 laps first time out will feel fast as I have nothing to compare my speed to. Looking to ride like I do on the street and I should be ok. Once I get more comfortable I will see if any could give me tips. Will have a beer for those that help me out and are of age.

My first track day was open (no sessions). I went out with a full tank and came in when the light came on. Pretty sure I went through almost 3 tanks of gas. I couldn't move the next day but heck if I could really tell a difference between full and empty. Fill it until you can see the gas in the tank and you won't worry about running out mid session.

is that a Riders Choice day? if so they will normally send someone out with you for the first few laps to show you the line especially if you tell them its your first time

welcome to the addiction...

It is an RC hosted day

Worry about hydration more than about gas - fill it up and enjoy.
Make a list and check it twice before leaving for the track
Get there early - set up early - get dressed early - do not rush, rushing just get's you stressed, tired and opens the possibilities for a screw up.
Drink water or coconut water as much as you can
Eat healthy snacks like fruits and vegetables and protein bars

Have fun.

I wear white after labor day, doesn't mean it is right.

A quick search will help you.
Explanation please?

Ive been using warmers on street tires.....

Explanation please?

Ive been using warmers on street tires.....

I am quoting the info I found to support this below(from other forums so ignore the names) I do not have first hand experience yet but this seems to run true over all sports. I like to understand why, and below is allot of good points that helped me understand it. The below info is also from the US where they see more warm days and do not have our climate. But the one common thing is that Street tires warm up fast and hold heat. Race tires dissipate heat.

1 I read an article time ago (cant remember the source) that argued against it. The reasoning made sense to me.
In sum they were saying that differently from race compunds street tires are designed to warm up quick. In exchage for those properties, the rubber can only withstand high temperatures for a short amount of time before degrading. As such "giving the tires a break" was that this guy was recomending.

Heat cycling is not that much of an issue for street tires since they are designed to "heat cycle across their entire life span". I am no tire guru, but it did make sense to me. If you want to avoid the warmers pick up a set of pirellisuperbike pro's. Otherwise send an email to Brad he will find a set for you ridiculously cheap.

2 Originally Posted by MM93View PostIn sum they were saying that differently from race compunds street tires are designed to warm up quick.

correct....

street tires are designed to retain heat, thus warming up quickly.
race rubber is made to disperse heat

me, would tend to believe not such a good idea, based on their heat retaining properties

Got this list from a friend who tracks/races. Modified it a little to meet my needs; this should get you more or less in the right direction.

Track Day Packing List
General
Bike
Bike Key
Front & Rear Stands
Tie Downs
Jerry Can & Small Can (20L Total)fill all jerry cans and bike
Ipad (incl. charger)
Phone (incl. charger)
Camping Chair
Cooler
Water & Gatorade & Food
Canopy
Buckets for Water/Canopy Weights
Track Day Voucher
Tools in Rubbermaid
Cordless Drill
Socket Set / Wrenches / Allen Keys
Wire Cutters / Needle Nose Pliers
Electrical Tape & Blue Loctite
Tire Pressure Gauge
Bike Pump
Rear Axle Socket
Zip Ties
Spare Levers
Brake Fluid
Engine Oil
Chain Lube / Brake Cleaner
Flashlight
Terry Cloths / Shop Towels
Gear in Rubbermaid
Helmet (in Bag) x 2
Dark & Clear Visors
Leathers
Clothes Hanger for Leathers
Ear Plugs (multiple sets)
Boots, Gloves, Back Protector
Dry-Fit shirts
Dry-Fit pants
Hoodie/Jacket
Baseball cap
Flip Flops
Running Shoes
Towel
Bug Spray & Sunblock

Explanation please?

I've been using warmers on street tires.....

My main explanation is that the tire makers say not to. When I was running Q3's Dunlop and Pro6 both said not to use tire warmers. I assume same for other street tire manufactures.

Jeff

My main explanation is that the tire makers say not to. When I was running Q3's Dunlop and Pro6 both said not to use tire warmers. I assume same for other street tire manufactures.

Jeff

Interesting. When I put my Power RS's on my 400 he asked if I was going to use warmers. The tires dont need them, but he said it was better to use warmers when coming off track to help slowly bring down the temp.

The RS is also a race compound street tire, so that maybe the difference.

There are "street" tires, and there are "DOT race" tires ...

The original poster has "street" tires. For those - No warmers. Take it easy for the first couple of laps until their temperature stabilizes. Given that this is the original poster's first track day (Welcome to the addiction, by the way) and the weather isn't all that hot and it isn't an ultra high speed track, it's unlikely that the tires will overheat. Street tires are designed for street conditions - not really cornering all that hard and not repeatedly for a long time. If you try to run at experienced-rider race pace on them, at a high speed track like Mosport in hot weather, street tires can overheat and go greasy.

DOT race tires and slicks are meant to be used with warmers.

One other thing, DO check your tire pressure, no matter what type of tire you use! Track conditions want lower pressures than street conditions. 30-ish psi cold (for the original poster's street tires) is usually a good first guess.

Back
Top Bottom