A new standard in tourers? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

A new standard in tourers?

Really it sounds like a chopper? that would be a reason for me to walk away. I like a nice engine sound like a maseratti sedan , that whole loud pipes thing just isnt for me.

With stock pipes it's going to be plenty quiet. As for this bike not stealing customers from HD, I don't agree. While there are a certain segment of the riding population who have drank the Kool-aid and believe that HD's are the only REAL bikes, there are plenty of riders who after a few years with an HD happily move back to a metric bike, my Father included! Many are attracted to the "mystique" and heritage of an HD but after living with one for a few years find that "mystique" and "heritage" don't do anything for how the motorcycle performs or runs. I've know 4 guys (besides my Dad) who traded their Electraglides for Goldwings and one who did it for a Voyager. All of them say that their Wing is a better motorcycle in every way.

I think it'll do well. The luxury touring market is competitive with the BWM K1600gtl, the Harley Electraglide Ultra and the Roadglide ultra, and arguably the reigning king, the Goldwing. The Kawasaki Voyager is sort of the budget entry into the field but shouldn't be counted out as it is a very competent tourer with enough bells and whistles to be counted as a luxury tourer, just not quite on the same level as the others. The Yamaha FJR has been at the top of the big sport touring range pretty much since day one, and when it isn't, it's close. Yamaha knows how to do touring. I think this one will definitely give the others a reason to take a long look at their bikes and where they need/should update and improve them, especially the Honda as it is the longest serving bike in the category (but still my personal favorite). I think that making it a V-twin is a bit of a gamble seeing as the two best bikes in the category are 6cyl and the air cooled thing is a mistake IMO, but everything else looks right on the money. The price tag is not out of line compared to the competition either. An Ultraglide is $30,000+, a Goldwing is $31,000+ and the BMW K1600gtl is $32,000+. Heck, the big sport touring bikes like the FJR and the Concours are $19,000+ and the BMW R1200rt which sort of lands in the middle between the FJR and the K1600 is $21,000 base but gets up to $28,000 quick when you start adding factory options.

I can't wait to see some reviews on it and how it stacks up, especially against the Honda!

+1

I think the appeal of this bike is mostly limited to the V twin cruiser crowd. Virtually no one riding a sport touring type bike would be looking at this new Yamaha as an alternative IMHO and, yes, the Goldwing seems to be in a class of its own. We'll have to wait a few years to see how it goes.

I'm going to guess the target market, once you get over 30k are probably looking more at long range costs, tire replacements , maintinence and overall cost of ownership and the comfort/fun for the money than the out the door costs.
When you have 30k + for a toy your into a bracket where the fun the toy produces for the cost is probably more important than the sticker price.

I'm not saying cost isn't always a consideration, but when I'm looking at a product like that $108. by weekly isn't in my list of reasons to buy.

Virtually no one riding a sport touring type bike would be looking at this new Yamaha as an alternative IMHO and, yes, the Goldwing seems to be in a class of its own.

I know that the older I get, the more I find these bikes appealing! I'm not ready to give up on ST bikes just yet (although I may consider and ADV Touring bike next just for the comfort) and I don't have $30k so its only pie in the sky talk right now, but if I did have that kind of $$ I'd take a long hard look at one. I am hoping to get out on a demo ride with a Goldwing this summer. I'd probably happily ditch my Bandit for one!

I know that the older I get, the more I find these bikes appealing! I'm not ready to give up on ST bikes just yet (although I may consider and ADV Touring bike next just for the comfort) and I don't have $30k so its only pie in the sky talk right now, but if I did have that kind of $$ I'd take a long hard look at one. I am hoping to get out on a demo ride with a Goldwing this summer. I'd probably happily ditch my Bandit for one!

I upgraded the stock seat on my Bandit to a Sargent and even at that it is not as comfortable as the stock seat on the Honda F6B.

I went to the demo day on Saturday at KW Honda and rode the CB 500F, F6B, and an Africa Twin. For putting on the miles it is hard to beat a touring rig. With a slightly taller aftermarket windshield I could easily live with this bike. After an hour I did not want to get off of it. I can't imagine how comfortable it would be with an aftermarket seat, heated grips etc.

Analogue gauges... Yes please! :)

Next time out I will check out the Goldwing and see how much different it would be from the pared down version aka F6B.

I might hit one of the Harley demo days and take out one of their touring rigs as well.

Really it sounds like a chopper? that would be a reason for me to walk away. I like a nice engine sound like a maseratti sedan , that whole loud pipes thing just isnt for me.

I didn't say loud pipes, what I meant is that it's going to have the stereotypical V-Twin sound. Even with "quiet" pipes a V twin has a very characteristic sound.

Zoodles: If you liked the F6B you'll LOVE the full on Goldwing! I can tell just by looking at it that the seat on the F6B is not going to be as comfortable as the GL. The GL has a lot more lumbar support. Also it comes stock with heated seat front and rear and heated grips! It also has a much taller screen that the F6B so that would solve that issue too. I never really understood the F6B. You can't take a luxury sedan and make it look like a muscle car. It basically takes away some of the best creature comforts and replaces them with all black paint. Its a styling exercise at best but there are much better options for a blacked out bagger than a Wing. If you're going to go Wing go ALL Wing!

Am I the only one bemoaning the loss of the v4?

That motor was amazing. If they had stuffed a v4 into it and kept the Venture heritage, they would have been on the right track. With the demise of Victory, there's room for a futuristic, fully capable tourer... putting a big air-cooled twin in it is a nod to heritage, which is at odds with the looks. Which I kind of love.

My brother-in-law has a Venture, and with the pipes he has on it, it's the best-sounding motorcycle I've ever heard. Like a smallblock Chevy.

Am I the only one bemoaning the loss of the v4?

That motor was amazing. If they had stuffed a v4 into it and kept the Venture heritage, they would have been on the right track. With the demise of Victory, there's room for a futuristic, fully capable tourer... putting a big air-cooled twin in it is a nod to heritage, which is at odds with the looks. Which I kind of love.

My guess is they had their plate full with designing the frame, bags, fairing, electronics etc from the ground up. They probably didn't want to tackle designing a brand new v4 as well. According to the online literature the 1854cc Vtwin in this thing is mostly the engine out of the Stratoliner with some re-tooled cases etc to accommodate the 6 speed gear box. You can't blame them. A total ground up build costs a fortune and often has a few hiccups in the first year of production. By using a tried and true motor and just tweeking it a little, they reduce the likelyhood of the problems being with the engine.

I had two beautiful GSXR's in the garage when I added a big V-twin bagger (mostly to be used for long touring and riding 2-up). I swore it would never replace a sportbike in the garage. A year later the bagger is the only one there and cost had nothing to do with the decision. Bagger was more fun in 90% of my street riding and the GSXR's stayed parked.
Street Glide Special was the same price but I liked the Magnum better.

I can totally see that. Full on SS bikes are not much fun on the streets. The ergos suck for being in traffic, you can't use most of the power legally and you get raped on the insurance.

Yamaha builds a GoldWing....

Yamaha builds a GoldWing....

They already did that, that's what the original Venture Royale was. This is more like an HD Road Glide

Back
Top Bottom