Hi GTAM Fam jam,

Could use some help pricing a bike.
Ninja 500, 110k KM (thats right, a hundred and ten thousand KM), 2002
Hasnt been used in 4 years.
Has been dropped before (stationary)
Currently asking for $1000, private sale
it does start and work; new battery

Needs new tire
oil change (at least, if not all fluids)
some tweakings like tightening the clutch and brakes
prolly new brake pads
gear was sticking a bit between 1 and 2

what do you think?

thanks!

It'll cost you another $1k to get that thing up and running anyway and you don't know what else is wrong with it - brake seals and fluid, chain, clutch, and on and on.......

You can do better with lower Kms. There should be quite a few of these around but you might need to go a little further afield to find them. Great bikes, this was my first bike.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

Last edited:
This was also my first bike
But like others have said not more than $500-600
There are others with far less kms for a lil bit more coin

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Its worth maybe $300 as parts, that's for title, frame and motor IF its running. otherwise pass.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Joe Bass - feel free to speak your mind, bro.

Its honestly been difficult finding anything decent for <$1500 in all of Ontario over the past week that i have been searching. I am seeing comparable ninja 500s for $2000+ as is on kijiji(for example, http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1171134600&siteLocale=en_CA&requestSource=b), autotrader, craigslist, let go, and the GTAM forums albeit with a lot less mileage. I really wish there was more of a selection.

I am leaning towards offering $500 and see what happens, even though i am not mechanically inclined. I priced out the tires ($300 for a set installed), tune up ($400, incl carburetor cleaning and oil change), taxes ($130, @$1000 pricing.. not sure they will accept the $500 price), and safety cert ($100) -- so another $930 worth of out of pocket expenses (you were right on the money, kruzuki), for $1430 all in + another $900 for insurance.

Even if i were to get a $1500-2000 bike, it would come out to approx 1800-2500 all in; so this is still approx $400-1100 off (but with an understandably much lower resale value when i go to sell it).

and you forgot about the brakes, the sticking gear between 1st and 2nd

and 110 thousand kilometers....

ohhh and your not mechanically inclined.....hope you have good friends that are, or you have deep pockets

I would wager that it might even need a new chain, then you need front and rear sprockets.....

and it could go on.....

but it's your money.......

Oil change can be done at home under$40
Ministry will definitely accept$500 if you bring them a uvip signed by seller or a bill of sale

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

The real kicker here is that you're not mechanically inclined. Buying a beater is a terrible $ decision unless you're willing to do all the work. And no sub-$1000 bike is going to be running fine for any length of time.

Save up for a newer bike or save up for parts and tools. Your choice. (I went with the latter, but I love to tinker and take stuff apart.)

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Joe Bass - feel free to speak your mind, bro.

Its honestly been difficult finding anything decent for <$1500 in all of Ontario over the past week that i have been searching. I am seeing comparable ninja 500s for $2000+ as is on kijiji(for example, http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1171134600&siteLocale=en_CA&requestSource=b), autotrader, craigslist, let go, and the GTAM forums albeit with a lot less mileage. I really wish there was more of a selection.

I am leaning towards offering $500 and see what happens, even though i am not mechanically inclined. I priced out the tires ($300 for a set installed), tune up ($400, incl carburetor cleaning and oil change), taxes ($130, @$1000 pricing.. not sure they will accept the $500 price), and safety cert ($100) -- so another $930 worth of out of pocket expenses (you were right on the money, kruzuki), for $1430 all in + another $900 for insurance.

Even if i were to get a $1500-2000 bike, it would come out to approx 1800-2500 all in; so this is still approx $400-1100 off (but with an understandably much lower resale value when i go to sell it).

Get back to the higher priced ads, it's partway through a (rainy) season right now, the initial rush should have passed, give them a reasonable offer if they are too high and you should see results.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes/...00/1268296021?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

That looks like a better deal and I bet they still have the dog bones to raise it up. Also there's probably wiggle room on the price.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes/...89/1265071863?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Can't see the pics very well but kms are lower.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes/...00/1264267940?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

And this guy already knows the year is an issue....probably wiggle room there too.

I've had one of these before.

Do not get the pre-1994 model. They have 16 inch wheels and very limited tire options. The 94-2009 has 17 inch wheels and you can get much better tires for it.

With out seeing it, I wouldn't pay more than $500 for the one you're talking about. Sounds like it's going to need some attention to get going. 114k is not much to worry about but that's starting to get up there if previous owners have been abusive or neglectful with maintenance.

If you are a new rider...get a running bike.

Minor stuff like scratches, bodywork, needing tires and brake pads is not a big deal, but transmission and engine would be a big deal...especially if you aren't mechanically inclined.

@tester123 Sorry, I misread your op. I thought you were trying to price the bike to sell

That bike is virtually impossible to sell with low mileage even.

It rivals the Katana for the Pontiac Award.

Therefore $500 sounds high. I'd say $300-400. But I wouldn't buy that one at all. I would get one that needs nothing and is in good shape. And I would pay $1,000 max for it.

Or for $1500 you can get an SV650 instead.

Suzuki sv 650 on Kijiji http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-tourin...tent=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=sms

Back
Top Bottom