Chalk marks on rear tire? Theft risk? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Chalk marks on rear tire? Theft risk?

sk1441

I have been parking by motorcycle outside of my building since Sept without any issues, but in the past week someone has been marking my back wheel with what looks like sidewalk chalk. Is my bike in imminent danger of being stolen? I can't think of any other reason why someone would do this. Any insight would be appreciated.

I have been parking by motorcycle outside of my building since Sept without any issues, but in the past week someone has been marking my back wheel with what looks like sidewalk chalk. Is my bike in imminent danger of being stolen? I can't think of any other reason why someone would do this. Any insight would be appreciated.

Your bike is in danger of receiving a parking ticket.

3 hour parking in Toronto typically isn't, but can be enforced for motorcycles as well.

Your bike is in danger of receiving a parking ticket.

3 hour parking in Toronto typically isn't, but can be enforced for motorcycles as well.

^

Parking enforcement usually chalk your tire, come back after the allowed parking time span and give you a ticket if you are still there. :)

Could be the most funny post I've ever seen on here.
Is my bike in imminent danger of being stolen?
And yes, always. Almost certain it won't be the by-law officer who's chalking up your tires though.

I have a permit for the space and a tag on my bike. Charming. Thanks for the info!

The officer probably chalks every vehicle, then comes back and looks for permits only before deciding to write a ticket. I think they just walk along with a chalk on the end of a stick.

There are a number of private parking lots in Toronto where part of the lot is reserved and part is public parking if you buy a ticket from the machine.
This gives people who have business in the building a place to park.
Generally there are signs posted with a time limit. This to prevent folks who work elsewhere from parking there all day.
There is such a lot on William Carson Cres. which is near the York Mills subway. Folks pay to park in the lot and then take the subway downtown. Signs are posted for two hour parking.
You say you have a permit. If it's issued by plate number, do you have it in the m/cycle plate or your car's plate?
If it's in your car's plate and you are parking the bike in the lot, technically it's an offence.
Have a chat with building security to get consideration.

+1 for Parking Enforcement.

My guess, they chalk every vehicle on the first walk by, when they come back they see the permit and don't write the ticket.

If it's in your car's plate and you are parking the bike in the lot, technically it's an offence.
Have a chat with building security to get consideration.

Though, slightly off-topic, most lots downtown are owned by another company (not managed by building security).

Ex. TargetPart, Tigerpark etc.

I had to speak with TargetPark directly to add my bike on to my parking pass. That being said, after confirming the the rep 3 times (via e-mail) that I don't need to have a pass on my bike, I got a ticket from the City of Toronto on the first day in their lot.

Had to go through contacting TargetPark directly to get that resolved and have them pay for it (likely only because I had proof from e-mails).

Last edited:
Lol serouuyiu don't know about tire chalk?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

I've been parking on the street in Liberty Village for the past month. I've been checking my bike for chalk on the tires because parking enforcement used to use that technique for tracking parking in Forest Hill, where I used to have an apt, so I figured they might use it for bikes downtown as well. I've never actually been chalked. I'm under the impression the 3h max is only enforced if someone issues a formal complaint - is that correct? Has anyone ever gotten a ticket in Liberty Village? Seems like the side streets around that neighbourhood are pretty bike-friendly.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Back
Top Bottom