New rider need help got screwed over by a dealer. | GTAMotorcycle.com

New rider need help got screwed over by a dealer.

Hi guys,

I am new to this forum. I just got my license and i was about to buy my new bike this week but i got screwed over. Here is the story: i found a good deal on a new bike from a dealership in montreal for 2016 model. I called this morning confirmed the price which is also advertised clearly on their website and the sales manager confirmed it. I asked if i can put a deposit down, he asked when i am going to come from Toronto to pick up the bike and I said today or tomorrow. He said they will have enough and no need. So i took the day off today, rushed to rent a pickup and other equipment needed to transport the bike. After all was done and ready. I called again just to make sure they don't sell out before i get there. I was gonna offer a deposit again since they only had 3 left. The guy (sales manager) said oh sorry we changed our mind we are not going to sell the bike to you. His reasoning was we don't make much on it and we want to sell it to locals. I asked why you didn't tell me this morning when i asked and you said to come when you knew I was from Toronto. I went through a lot of trouble preparing everything and time time and money was wasted (spent 200 on equipment and rental car to bring it here). He said we changed our mind. I told him they should honour the deal and told them i will also need gear and will buy bikes in the future if they honour their deal but he refused. So at the end i felt what they did was discriminating and told then I may seek legal advise for the way they treated me a customer and the costs i already incurred including my time away from work. He didn't seem to care of course. Are there any lawyers who can provide advise or help or anyone with similar experience can share their thoughts as to what to do at least to teach them a lesson not to do this to other people. I will highly appreciate your inputs.

Last edited:
You are sol nothing you can do but forget it and move on.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Lawyers? Discriminated? Honestly?

Hate to be blunt...but put your big boy underwear on and move on. Find something local - there's no shortage of motorcycles in this province and you'll save yourself all sorts of hassle. By the time you rent a van and pay the gas to and from Montreal, plus a days lost work..were you really that far ahead? Especially if you arrived (after having bought it sight unseen) and you found the bike was actually a turd?

Last edited:
You are sol nothing you can do but forget it and move on.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I can't agree more. I feel for you but I wouldn't waste anymore time let alone money for a lawyer ... it could be a lengthy battle with unpredictable outcome. Do yourself a favor and move on.

Lawyers? Discriminated? Honestly?

Hate to be blunt...but put your big boy underwear on and move on. Find something local - there's no shortage of motorcycles in this province and you'll save yourself all sorts of hassle. By the time you rent a van and pay the gas to and from Montreal, plus a days lost work..were you really that far ahead? Especially if you arrived (after having bought it sight unseen) and you found the bike was actually a turd?

It was a brand new bike and yes the deal was very good and worth going there i couldn't get anything close to it here unfortunately . I had a lot of vacation time left so i decided to use a day and take a road trip. I am just very angry at the way this idiot treated me and wasted my time more than anything and want to teach him a lesson. Have you ever gone to a clothing store and the seller tells you we wouldn't sell this item to you that is on sale and will only give it to locals cause they might shop again from us? After calling in and checking with them first before going and them confirming you can buy it!!! If this idiot gave me the deal i would have gone back when it came to upgrade my bike or bought gear from their shop. Just goes to show how stupid he is. The least i hope i can do is write bad reviews and maybe complain to a consumer protection body in Quebec about his wrong and discriminatory business practices. I was mainly looking to see if anyone or a lawyer can guide me to the right bodies.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Last edited:
It was a brand new bike and yes the deal was very good and worth going there i couldn't get anything close to it here unfortunately . I had a lot of vacation time left so decided to use a day. I am just very angry at the way this idiot treated me and wasted my time more than anything and want to teach him a lesson. The least i can do is right bad reviews for his business which i haven't done yet.

Get someone to proof read your review before posting it.

Ultimately a business is not legally obligated to do business with you so you are completely wasting your time trying anything from a legal perspective, not to mention it'll cost you thousands in legal fees (potentially more if the business decides to make your life miserable in retaliation) to accomplish little or nothing after it's all said and done.

Post an online review and be done with it, but do so cautiously regardless to avoid libel especially after you already threatened them with legal action once already - you can express an opinion in a review without issue, but if you start stating "facts" (and they're not actually all correct, or the dealer decides they're up for debate), well, you could potentially find yourself in legal trouble, again...if the dealer decides to fight back.

Just think how lucky you are that you called a 2nd time, just think how it would be if after the call in the morning you just decided to go, and once you got there they then told you they were not going to sell you the bike,,,,then again if you had gone, maybe you would have been lucky and it was there and you paid and drove back with a new bike........

Ultimately a business is not legally obligated to do business with you so you are completely wasting your time trying anything from a legal perspective, not to mention it'll cost you thousands in legal fees (potentially more if the business decides to make your life miserable in retaliation) to accomplish little or nothing after it's all said and done.

Post an online review and be done with it, but do so cautiously regardless to avoid libel especially after you already threatened them with legal action once already - you can express an opinion in a review without issue, but if you start stating "facts" (and they're not actually all correct, or the dealer decides they're up for debate), well, you could potentially find yourself in legal trouble, again...if the dealer decides to fight back.

Yes sure but the seller had already verbally agreed to sell the item at a specified price and they have it still advertised on their website. The seller knew fully well i was from Toronto and I incurred some costs and my time was wasted. The advertisement which is still up does not specify the deal is only for locals. So if they refuse to sell just because perhaps i am am an ontario resident, i think it is a form of discrimination and we have laws against that. I am not sure what the legal perspective on this is... but what this dealer did was absurd. So i guess a lesson for everyone especially new riders is to get everything in writing especially if you plan to buy your bike out of province.

Yes sure but the seller had already verbally agreed to sell the item at a specified price and they have it still advertised on their website. The seller knew fully well i was from Toronto and I incurred some costs and my time was wasted. The advertisement which is still up does not specify the deal is only for locals. So if they refuse to sell just because perhaps i am am an ontario resident, i think it is a form of discrimination and we have laws against that. I am not sure what the legal perspective on this is... but what this dealer did was absurd. So i guess a lesson for everyone especially new riders is to get everything in writing especially if you plan to buy your bike out of province.

Once again, I understand your frustration but you do realize that verbal confirmation isn't really a legally binding agreement? You have no proof or a signed document in case you take the dealer to the court. I wouldn't go as far as discouraging other members to shop in Quebec or some other provinces ... you just had a bad luck and you should leave it at that.

Unless you had a sales contract, a vin number on that contract and a deposit down that bike was not yours so you are SOL

So if they refuse to sell just because perhaps i am am an ontario resident, i think it is a form of discrimination and we have laws against that.

Get a grip. The dealer probably gets daily emails/phone calls from 'committed buyers' that never show. Move on.

Unless you had a sales contract, a vin number on that contract and a deposit down that bike was not yours so you are SOL

I know the bike wasn't mine. Just what they did was not acceptable by any business or moral standards and i don't know if it is even legal . Can a seller at Hudson's bay store for example refuse to sell you an item just when you are willing to pay the price they are asking just because you are not from toronto when that is not their store policy.

Once again, I understand your frustration but you do realize that verbal confirmation isn't really a legally binding agreement? You have no proof or a signed document in case you take the dealer to the court. I wouldn't go as far as discouraging other members to shop in Quebec or some other provinces ... you just had a bad luck and you should leave it at that.

Thanks Brian, i am not discouraging anyone from buying in Quebec. I am sure in some cases they can find better deals in Quebec and there are good dealers there. Just saying they should be more careful especially new riders like me. I will reveal the name of this specific dealer perhaps later.

Thanks Brian, i am not discouraging anyone from buying in Quebec. I am sure in some cases they can find better deals in Quebec and there are good dealers there. Just saying they should be more careful especially new riders like me. I will reveal the name of this specific dealer perhaps later.

No doubt ... I wouldn't knock on this dealership door again. Btw, what kinda bike you're after? Are the local deals that bad compared to Montreal?

Take it as a lesson learned. Without a signed contract you have NO deal. Don't go out of your way(renting transport etc.) until you have a guaranteed signed deal. Businesses have no obligation to sell to you. If an individual salesperson refuses to sell to you, you might have some sway going to their manager or head office if it's a big business/corporation. A small business, probably not so much. A salesperson at a dealership wants to sell, generally they make commissions, if they say no, it's probably coming from higher up like the owner or manager. Give em a bad review, but chances are it's not going to matter. Locals won't care and that's probably the bulk of their business.

Whenever you offer a seller a deposit and they refuse, don't put your heart on it, they most likely have someone on their way to get it or have some side deal that do not include you - I learned that lesson long ago.

Just think about it, would you ever while selling a bike or anything else for that matter say no to a deposit?

A verbal agreement is a legal binding agreement provided you can prove it, as it confirms all the legal requirement of contract. but still i think the best way is to go with what other says, a careful online review of the service you got form them.

This happened to me as well albeit with a private seller. we agreed all terms he did not take the deposit and said he trust me and then next day when i call him he told me sold it to some one else for $200 more. So I just searched for few more days and got a better deal.

A lawyer's hourly fee would probably be more than you were going to save by buying this bike. If they don't laugh you out of their office first.

Back
Top Bottom