Bridgestone Battlax S21 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bridgestone Battlax S21

Ashtonator

Has anyone used these tires?

I've been reading lots of good reviews on them for aggressive street riding plus some track days.

I was wondering if anyone has used them locally with our streets and temps.

Haven't tried the S21 but imagine they'll be plenty grippy. I recently squeezed an RS10 150/60/17 rear on my ninja 250 race bike. I like them more than the Bridgestone S20 Evo I had prior which I used for about 22/23 race/track days but was still happy with the S20's. In the turns, I was keeping up with and passing middle group guys on "big boy bikes" on the 250 with them. After 22/23 race and some track days, I think heat cycles had the best of them and the front was hoping a bit the faster I was going. After all that abuse, they're still completely usable on the street though.

The RS10's had a weird rippling/waving near the edge of the rear after the 2nd race day. The tire service guy had a look. Said the tire carcass was okay and the stock rear suspension was probably the cause.

Unless you're at the track level of requiring slicks, they're hella grippy. I'm not sure how they do in the wet (dedicated rain tires for that stuff).

So...no, I haven't tried the S21, but they supposed to fall between the S20 Evo and the RS10. I've been happy with both.

Here's the video that made me decide on starting with the S20 Evo (RS10 wasn't available for me at the time).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHnmukUJ7aQ

Last edited:
How often do you ride in the rain? If not at all, then why not just spend the extra $35-40 on the RS10 if you're doing track days as well as street riding? The edge of the tire has no siping and as flat as a racing slick leaned over. Compounds obviously different than a full racing slick.
https://www.petes-superbike.com/rs10-c-2234_1_85_6841.html
I'm not sure how they'll do in the rain but looking at them side by side between my race bike and street bike tires, they wouldn't be my choice.

I have the Michelin Pilot Road 4 on my street bike since I often get caught in the rain on long road trips. They're great all road conditions and still have good grip to the very edge of the tire. I've taken them on the track once but wouldn't want them as a regular track tire.

Rode the S20 on my old GSXr-750 track bike for a good while. They're solid to a good top end yellow pace, at which point they get a bit greasy (I was rarely passed at this point, and moved to red shortly thereafter).
S21 is supposed to be an even better tire, so I can't see anything wrong with that choice at all.

I have just about gone through a set of S21's now on my zx10r (replaced oem S20's). Put them on last August and trying to find a reason to not like them - -so far I'm seriously considering another set. They were inexpensive, lasted fairly well (Aug + 3,000k this spring). I was able to break the rear free several times but I guess that is expected on some of the sandyish northern roads. Funny thing is tho, buddy has sport touring tires (BT something or other?) and has much better mileage and his bike is sticking just fine during our "spirited" rides... I'm struggling with the next purchase with S21's, Pirelli angels or Metzeler roadtec Z8's. I'm leaning toward the S21's again cause it's more of a slick at the edge (no tread) and they seemed to last a little longer than the S20's. I guess I'll just continue agonizing over this until I get real prices from the bike shop I deal with. Happy apexes.

Thanks for the input guys.

Based on what im reading here and everything i read online from U.S forums and some in Asia, seems like these are a good bet and about $45 less than PP3s.

I had the PP3s on my last bike and they were fine but i didnt love them. Never had full confidence in them but that was probably just me as others rave about PP3s. I liked my PP2s more to be honest.

As for your friend Ungoloth, it makes sense that those tires would be able to handle hard leans. I'm currently running stock sport touring battleaxe on my 848 which are definitely not meant for spirited riding (much harder compund compare to PP3 or Q3s) and ive worn the chicken strips completely on street rides. So im sure anything hypersport (or any other track/street tire like s21) will be a huge change for me.

I was looking at Q3s as well but i also do highway commuting to work sometimes so longevity is a factor for me.

I'm gonna go ahead and order a set today from Pete's.

Thanks again for all your input guys!

Thanks for the input guys.

...ive worn the chicken strips completely on street rides. So im sure anything hypersport (or any other track/street tire like s21) will be a huge change for me.
Consider the newer, better RS10 then.

I was looking at Q3s as well but i also do highway commuting to work sometimes so longevity is a factor for me.

Not sure now well the RS10 will do in this area.

Hyper sport tires on the street are a waste IMO, unless you use the bike for 75% track 25% street

any sport touring tire will give you more than enough grip on spirited rides + commuting, and will offer much better traction in the wet, and a MUCH longer lifespan

Both good point Owen and Mbroyda. I will get much better life span out of a touring tire but i also wanna have all the traction i can get without spending a grand every season on slicks.

So i figured take the middle ground and go with something like PP3 or S21 which wont last as long as touring tires but will still last a few thousands miles. Also gives that extra but of traction.

As for wet weather, i try to avoid it and when i gt caught it the rain, i take it easy and dont lean the bike far.

Ill update here about the tires once i get a chance to push them a little.

I just replaced a set of S21's with a set of T30 Evo's. The S21's had much more grip for spirited riding and had no issues with them in rain or cold (switched car for bike in April with the S21's on) but with my commute of 200km daily, the rear was starting to flat spot after only a week or two which pushed me to go with the T30's. If you don't have a long commute and aren't hwy slabbing too much I'd say go for em.

I just replaced a set of S21's with a set of T30 Evo's. The S21's had much more grip for spirited riding and had no issues with them in rain or cold (switched car for bike in April with the S21's on) but with my commute of 200km daily, the rear was starting to flat spot after only a week or two which pushed me to go with the T30's. If you don't have a long commute and aren't hwy slabbing too much I'd say go for em.

Had the T30's... didn't like them too much. They felt very "wooden" and gave, at best, vague feedback. I can understand the choice if you're just droning back and forth to work on the highway. Loved the S20's though.
Switched to Q3's which are great, but wear extremely quickly (1190cc v-twin torque monster). Gonna try the Dunlop Roadsmart 3 next, as I've heard great things about them.

Had the T30's... didn't like them too much. They felt very "wooden" and gave, at best, vague feedback. I can understand the choice if you're just droning back and forth to work on the highway. Loved the S20's though.
Switched to Q3's which are great, but wear extremely quickly (1190cc v-twin torque monster). Gonna try the Dunlop Roadsmart 3 next, as I've heard great things about them.

After having them on for a 1-2k km's or so and a nice spirited ride I do agree they don't give the greatest feedback and are not my favorite. I couldn't justify the cost in tires if I went with a nice soft compound since I log 1000km every week commuting. They are better in my opinion than the PR4's that I had on my previous bike in terms of performance though for a sport touring option.

Good to know.

Im somewhere in the middle. I do about 90km hwy commute to work. My current tires are BATTLAX BT-023 which are sport touring and have lasted forever. But for the weekends when we go out of town and hit some twisties, i really wanna have the confidence i want from my tires.

So lets see how good these S21s are and how quickly they wear off. Ill decide after if the stickiness is worth the compromise on the longevity front not.

Switched this year from the PP3 to the S21 and i love them.

Like previous posts have mentioned, nice and sticky when leaned over. The PP3's did not deliver this kind of grip.

Get them, you will not be disappointed. Go with a 55 rear tire.

The RS10 will not last long. Save your money and get the S21.

Have them on my bike. 2K and they still look new. My bike is used mostly for commuting but will have it at the track tomorrow. Will update with how that went. As for on the road, they have been great wet and dry. The profile of the rear makes leaning it over a little more effort then other profiles but you still can with lots of grip. They are on a 750 and even cold hold well under hard acceleration( in the dry)

f748b522a2d44d438e5b7bbd197bb80d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Back
Top Bottom