New member soon to be rider in Oakville looking for some advice | GTAMotorcycle.com

New member soon to be rider in Oakville looking for some advice

I am looking at a Yamaha Virago 750 that is really nice looking but needs some work on it. Poster says its a good beginner bike and just needs to be tuned

its a 1985 virago 750 with 70k kms on it. I am not sure if that is high or not for the model.

Also I would like some ideas on the best possible way to start riding competently and safely, with suggestions on classes and groups.

If anyone can suggest a better bike that has that same feel to it I would be all ears also.

Ideally something that I could also work on and get into like a hobby.

Hello and welcome

I'm also from Oakville

Not sure if you have your m2 but I would start there

Not sure about the bike but Cardinal rule is to get an insurance quote before purchasing a bike

If you have your m2 you can check out the Indian demo day at peak powersports next weekend in oakville

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I haven't gone for my m1 yet, I am doing that next week. I am under the impression once I get an M1 I can start riding? I am also planning on doing the courses to learn everything before I actually start riding. Just wanted a bike to start looking at and maybe tinkering with. I don't really have any friends that are into motorcycles in my circle so I don't really know where to start. Google is my friend for motorcycles atm.

I haven't gone for my m1 yet, I am doing that next week. I am under the impression once I get an M1 I can start riding? I am also planning on doing the courses to learn everything before I actually start riding.

Look at this thread

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=200189

Doing a csc course will help you get a better insurance rate and might save your life

Successful completion will also net you an M2

M1 insurance rates are ridiculous and come with a lot of restrictions

No highway
No night time riding
No passengers

I haven't gone for my m1 yet, I am doing that next week. I am under the impression once I get an M1 I can start riding? I am also planning on doing the courses to learn everything before I actually start riding. Just wanted a bike to start looking at and maybe tinkering with. I don't really have any friends that are into motorcycles in my circle so I don't really know where to start. Google is my friend for motorcycles atm.

MTOhp provides M1 exit safety course- and they currently have discounted rates for GTAM members. (search for MTOhp to get to the thread that I am referring to). They have a course in Oakville (I did it in Brampton, and really had a great time learning).

Like another person had pointed out- have you asked what the insurance qoute would be for a Virago 750? In my case, the only motorcycles I could afford insurance wise were 250cc cruisers and I bought a 250cc Kymco Venox last month, and I am loving the rides.

.... Cardinal rule is to get an insurance quote before purchasing a bike....

This. So much this.

Realistically any small cruiser is going to give you the same ride. I'd say stick to something 600cc or smaller in the cruiser class or 500cc or less for anything else. It's your first bike...not your last. For a first bike, it would be best to get something you don't have to work on, unless you are very mechanically inclined.

I'd always suggest people to get a ninja 500 for their first bike

Very versatile bike
Easy to work on
Remained relatively unchanged from 1987-2009
Cost effective to buy, insure and run
A decent condition one can be bought for under $1,500

Price out insurance with an agent or broker before finalizing the purchasing of a bike. Some insurance companies don't cover older bikes anymore.

I like ABS on a bike. But many older bikes won't have it.

If you've never ridden a motorcycle before, and think you may have issues with stalling a bike, using the clutch, consider an intro course before the Gearing Up.
That way you can decide if motorcycling is right for you, and get a headstart on the early Gearing Up lessons.

Are you looking at that year range because or price?

I personally think ninja 250, whether older or newer models, is perfect bike to start on given availability until you learned enough or insurance drops from few years of riding.

But some people don't like that bike or that type so.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I was looking at this age range because I think those bikes are really nice. I am mechanically inclined, so I have the idea of working on a bike and getting to know it very well. Maybe I am over thinking it. Ideally something old school that is economical to maintain and repair myself. Something with character. I am really loving the Virago tho.

Any idea on where to look for insurance, so far everywhere I looked at basically laughed me off the phone once I told them I did not hold a full M license haha

These old cruisers = electrical issue, bad brakes and poor suspension. When something is this old it's not economical to repair any more because parts are tough to get.
Certain tire sizes are obsolete as well or you are very limited (not sure if it applies here).

Also ask yourself if you want to ride or repair.

If you want a smaller, nimble cruiser - Vulcan 500. Cheap and EX500 engine in it, meaning that it will keep up with much larger bikes.

Also price wise, if you stick with the Virago, wouldn't pay more than $400-500 for it.

Last edited:
Indian demo today and tomorrow at peak powersports

There is no charge to see and sit on bikes and no sales pressure on demo days

Indian demo today and tomorrow at peak powersports

There is no charge to see and sit on bikes and no sales pressure on demo days

Cant see on the website, you wouldnt happen to know the times would you?

Back
Top Bottom