Purchasing bike before m2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Purchasing bike before m2

sicksix

Hi, i'm new to the forum and have enjoyed all the info contained here. I just can't find anything relating to my question, so i'm hoping I could get some input and advice from you all. I wrote my m1 on April 20th 2017, which I passed. 2 weeks later I went for my M2 exit course at Humber and was successful. In these past few weeks i've been looking at a lot of motorcycles and have decided to go with a fz6r. Today I pulled the trigger and agreed to buy a used one from a seller. They will be getting it certified and picking up a UVIP for me in the next week. A few weeks ago I called around to many insurance companies and luckily was able to get insurance with my own insurance which is state farm (certas). I have a ticket on my record and no one but them was interested in insuring me. When I spoke with my rep, he gave me 2 quotes. One was being insured under a m1, the other the m2. I'm saving close to $1000/yr if I insure upon registration of my m2. Researching the MTO website, it says I have to have insurance in order to register the bike and switch ownership. I'm definitely more keen on insuring when I have the m2 finally registered, which would be on or after june 20th. Do I have to wait to register the bike until then? As the MTO stipulates a 6 day grace period upon purchase to switching ownership. The seller is needing to get rid of this bike asap, meaning i will have to purchase it this week, and register before I can get my m2 due to the 6 day grace period. Creating the issue of insuring while still under my m1, costing me much more money, because MTO says i cant register without insurance. Is there a way I can register and switch ownership while waiting to insure the bike in 2 weeks or so? Any other advice would be helpful if im missing out on something here. Thanks.

Use your auto policy to register the bike ad then if you want, wait until m2 to fully insure and ride it. I did the same thing, except I bought before I even had m1. took my m1 on the next day they were open and then went to mto and registered the bike using my auto policy. I got insurance after I took the course because nobody would touch me without the course.

BTW it's fully legal to use an existing policy to register a recent purchase. I've done it a dozen times, including at an auction were I temp plated a vehicle 15 minutes after the gavel fell. Cumis insurance told me they cover new purchases for a couple wees grace period until I can get a policy on it.

Last edited:
You don't have to have insurance to change the ownership into your name - you will just get a new ownership listed as "unplated" (and UNFIT, meaning uncertified) that's all. Once you get it certified and insurance in place you go back and get a new ownership and your plates.

As for insurance, some insurers (not sure about yours) will write your policy as if you are an M2 rider even if you only technically still hold an M1 *IF* you show them proof of the completion of the safety course - in reality it's only a technicality of time at that point (the 60 day minimum window between m1 and m2) and insurers know this. Try calling your broker again as a $1000 difference is worth waiting for otherwise, or you might be able to go elsewhere - Dalton Timmis for example.

In the future, just FYI, the cardinal rule with motorcycles is *get a quote before you buy* - a lot of people buy MC's and then find out afterwards that they can't afford the insurance.

This is great info and thank you. So I would be registering the bike unplated, and then when I am able to register my m2 with the correct insurance, I would go back to get the plates?

This is great info and thank you. So I would be registering the bike unplated, and then when I am able to register my m2 with the correct insurance, I would go back to get the plates?

Exactly. The one downside of doing it this way is that the ownership will be changed to "UNFIT" during this change (vs the "FIT" it's probably showing currently from the previous owner) so you won't be eligible for a temporary plate any longer, but if you don't have insurance in the meantime you can't get one anyways so it's a moot point. Take note that you won't be able to ride the bike to the certification however, so you'll need to trailer it, or ask the current owner to drop it off at your shop of choice before he takes his plates off if possible.

Once you get all your ducks in a row you just go back to Service Ontario and finalize the process and you'll walk out with plates, a sticker, and a new ownership showing "FIT" and your new plate number on it.

In the meantime, the bike is in your name at least. Also take note you'll need to pay the taxes on the bike when you change it into your name as well.

Yes. But again, SF *should* be able to price you as if you have your M2. Iirc they did this for me.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

Ok thank you. Im 38 and the insurance quote is a decent $2400 for the m2. Like I said, I called many companies and no one would touch me but State Farm. The ticket I have is a careless (which was bs, its a long story lol) so no one was about to give me insurance. But again its good to knwo the option I have is being able to register the Bike before getting my m2. Thanks again.

Exactly. The one downside of doing it this way is that the ownership will be changed to "UNFIT" during this change (vs the "FIT" it's probably showing currently from the previous owner) so you won't be eligible for a temporary plate any longer, but if you don't have insurance in the meantime you can't get one anyways so it's a moot point. Take note that you won't be able to ride the bike to the certification however, so you'll need to trailer it, or ask the current owner to drop it off at your shop of choice before he takes his plates off if possible.

Once you get all your ducks in a row you just go back to Service Ontario and finalize the process and you'll walk out with plates, a sticker, and a new ownership showing "FIT" and your new plate number on it.

In the meantime, the bike is in your name at least. Also take note you'll need to pay the taxes on the bike when you change it into your name as well.

The seller is going to get certification along with the UVIP. Will it still be valid after getting unfit/unplated?

Last edited:
The seller is going to get certification along with the UVIP. Will it still be valid after getting unfit/unplated?

If the bike is coming with a certification be sure to take it when you bring it to get the bike changed over - it will be registered in your name as "FIT" at that point instead of "UNFIT". The certification paper is only good for something in the range of 30 days so you don't want to hold off on that bit.

So the only thing left to do will be to bring in your insurance slip afterwards again and only at that point will they issue you plates and a sticker. I would look back into the insurance situation as well, as both myself and Joe above mentioned - make sure to be clear that you have ALREADY passed the M2 course and you have the certificate - they may take and write you the policy NOW as an M2 rider instead of waiting. That way you'll have everything you need when you go to change the ownership and you can get your plates, sticker, and ride.

Back
Top Bottom