Insurance Questions for 125 CC Scooter | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insurance Questions for 125 CC Scooter

Ellesbelles123

Hi guys,

I'm new here. I have a 125 CC Yamaha Vino. I purhased it this past week, got my M1, but I have yet to register it and drive because I don't have insurance and I haven't registered it yet.
I work for State Farm but I'm not licenced to practice insurance yet if this helps, I was wondering if anyone has experience with them or if I should go elsewhere.

My scooter is 125 CCs, 2005. I have my full G licence and my M1. I've been insured on my car since I was 16 and I just sold it to get a scooter for easier commuting in the summer (and my car was in garbage shape but that's beside the point haha). I'm 20 right now. I've never been in an accident nor do I have any demerit points or speeding tickets.

If I added my boyfriend to the insurance I'm curious to know how much more it would cost. He's 20, full G licence, 3 demerit points from when he had his G2. He is insured on his parents' cars.

I don't need to know exact numbers, just a ballpark.

Thanks in advance guys, I'm stoked to be part of this group.

Ella

I have a Yamaha BW125 and I pay $156 / year full coverage on it ... or $120 if I want only basic liability and theft on it ...

I have a Yamaha BW125 and I pay $156 / year full coverage on it ... or $120 if I want only basic liability and theft on it ...

Difference is that you've been riding for 15+ years and likely much older than OP. Don't think your premiums would be anywhere close to OP's "ball park". ;)

OP, best, and most accurate answer to your question is to walk over to an insurance "agent" at your workplace and ask.

Best advice is call a few companies, and get actual quotes. As you will learn when you become qualified to sell insurance, even a block difference in the GTA can alter your rates considerably. So even If someone here had a similar scooter, similar driving record and age, their premium could be vastly different than what yours may end up being. If you can hold off, until you get your M2, it will make a difference. I doubt state farm, (despite you working for them), will consider you as I believe they are one of the companies that require 5 years licenced, (M class).

You could also just call a broker and have them do the comparison shopping for you.

Good luck

Difference is that you've been riding for 15+ years and likely much older than OP. Don't think your premiums would be anywhere close to OP's "ball park". ;)

OP, best, and most accurate answer to your question is to walk over to an insurance "agent" at your workplace and ask.

LOL, of course the best thing to do is call a broker. I thought she was looking for what other people pay so I responded back :)

I miss the old days when insurance wasn't so high for new riders.

Op take your bf off your policy asap.
Just my $0.02

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

It will be difficult to give you even a ballpark quote, as you live in Ottawa and we're in the GTA. The GTA should be more expensive. You need to register it within 7 days of purchase, and then get a safety certificate as well as insurance.

In my experience any bike under 500ccs have similar insurance premiums. Shop around. Does State Farm give you an employee discount? Ballpark figure is <$500/yr. Older riders, with bike license and experience, will have much lower premiums.

Going back in my memory State Farm charged me about $250/year for a 180cc scooter when I was new to riding; granted that was 8 years ago. When I got my first 'real' bike it was pretty much like starting from scratch, $1200 / year for the first two years for an 865cc then it started dropping down to around $1/CC

Back
Top Bottom