am i paying too much? zx6r | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

am i paying too much? zx6r

i was wondering if im paying too much for my insurance, its 8k a year,

$666 per month?

Although that might seem palatable now in order to be riding your presumed dream bike as a new rider, will you still feel the same in November through next April/May when the bike is sitting parked and you're still making those payments each and every of those 6 or 6 months when you can't even ride it?

I just don't understand why some people put themselves in these situations when a more suitable beginner bike could have probably been insured for 1/3 to 1/4 of that.

Last edited:
i was wondering if im paying too much for my insurance, its 8k a year, had my full g license for 5 years or so, clean record, am on m1 but i also finished safety course, the bike is 2010 Kawasaki zx6r

If depends, if you can afford it then it’s not too much.

I wouldn’t pay that much if I were you, I would get M2 and a cruiser for few years to get experience then switch to Sport once insurance is affordable and I get full M.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents here.
When I first started riding, I went with a ninja 250 (which i still ride) and i was being quoted absurd rates with RBC/TD etc (something like 4k-5k a year). I ended up going with State-Farm with an M2 (new rider, had literally just finished the humber course, never ridden a day in my life) at just shy of $1K a year. I know you're asking about a zx6r, but I remember clearly asking statefarm for a 599cc and the rate was almost double. (something like 1.8k a year for a new rider with an M2).

I've heard (please don't take my word for it, just call around) different state-farm agents can get you different rates - no harm in calling and asking.

I've recently switched from State-Farm to TD Meloche as they recently introduced a "ride and drive" pricing policy. and now I'm paying about $450 a year on the bike.

I've been in 3 accident in the car (none at fault - was rear ended all 3 times) prior to getting the motorcycle insurance...and I had 1 speeding ticket in the car (40 km/h over the speed limit). I currently have a 2nd speeding ticket at 15km/h over the limit...and i still got $450 a month with TD (the first speeding ticket is still on my record, so TD's quote includes 3 accidents and 2 speeding tickets).

You can find better rates.

Curious on this thread as well...
Here's my problem that I'm currently facing.... New rider, M2 with Durham College Rider Safety course just completed.
So I called an insurance company in the fall last year when I was thinking of purchasing a bike to take advantage of cheaper sales before winter... Did my homework and got a quote to make sure that I wasn't totally out to lunch on what I wanted (2004 GSXR 600) before I purchased it. The quote I got was reasonable so I figured I would pull the trigger and get the bike I have really wanted for years. Yes, I could have opted for a smaller cc bike but I have ridden off-road bikes my entire life so I do have knowledge on how to ride. And yes, I do understand that the rates would be higher for a 600 SS... which is WHY I checked first. Fast forward to this week after I have already bought the bike, obtained my M1 licence, passed the training course, obtained my M2 licence, safetied the bike and then called the SAME insurance to obtain an insurance policy... and wouldn't you know it... "sorry we can't write that for you... policies have recently changed at the beginning of the year" So after initially telling me "hey no problem sir" to "sorry bud your **** outta luck" I'm kind of in a bit of a jam here. And obviously rather disappointed at the moment for obvious reasons.
Being a male professional, 37 years old, clean driving record, (car obviously) no tickets in like the last 10 years... how does one tackle this problem? Is there anyone in the GTA that will insure a new rider on a 600 SS? Or am I basically gonna be ****** every day I walk in my garage and see my bike sitting there unable to be ridden.
Would really be interested in some feedback from you fellow riders. Really hoping this will sort it's self out so I can ride this summer. Sorry for the rant!

Curious on this thread as well...
Here's my problem that I'm currently facing.... New rider, M2 with Durham College Rider Safety course just completed.
So I called an insurance company in the fall last year when I was thinking of purchasing a bike to take advantage of cheaper sales before winter... Did my homework and got a quote to make sure that I wasn't totally out to lunch on what I wanted (2004 GSXR 600) before I purchased it. The quote I got was reasonable so I figured I would pull the trigger and get the bike I have really wanted for years. Yes, I could have opted for a smaller cc bike but I have ridden off-road bikes my entire life so I do have knowledge on how to ride. And yes, I do understand that the rates would be higher for a 600 SS... which is WHY I checked first. Fast forward to this week after I have already bought the bike, obtained my M1 licence, passed the training course, obtained my M2 licence, safetied the bike and then called the SAME insurance to obtain an insurance policy... and wouldn't you know it... "sorry we can't write that for you... policies have recently changed at the beginning of the year" So after initially telling me "hey no problem sir" to "sorry bud your **** outta luck" I'm kind of in a bit of a jam here. And obviously rather disappointed at the moment for obvious reasons.
Being a male professional, 37 years old, clean driving record, (car obviously) no tickets in like the last 10 years... how does one tackle this problem? Is there anyone in the GTA that will insure a new rider on a 600 SS? Or am I basically gonna be ****** every day I walk in my garage and see my bike sitting there unable to be ridden.
Would really be interested in some feedback from you fellow riders. Really hoping this will sort it's self out so I can ride this summer. Sorry for the rant!

At your age and with your record you CAN get your dream bike insured, but you may pay to play for a few years. Call around to a lot of companies and brokers to get the best quote you can. IIRC I was quoted around $3500/yr for that bike earlier this year by AllState but that might have been with M not M2.

Thanks for the reply SVeezy. Appreciate the quick response. I'm quite aware and was aware ahead of time before getting the bike that I would be paying more for the 600 SS which I didn't object to. Like you said... "you have to pay to play" and at this stage of the game I'm willing to pay! :) (within reason of course!)
I've called around a couple places and most are tending to shy away from it. I have a broker looking into it today / tomorrow as well. Hopefully I'll have some better news in the next couple days. I'll update on the outcome in case someone else may be experiencing the same issues / setbacks as me. Thanks again.

Your mistake was calling last fall for a quote and then still expecting it to hold true 9 months later. At best I would expect an insurance company to honour a quote for a week, maybe 2, tops. Not 9 months.

You need to call around and get quotes from more than one insurance company before abandoning all hope, but yes, you aren't going to find anything "cheap", lets put it that way. New rider and a SS motorcycle is a recipe for $$$.

Since you have a car, you do have the option to install a hitch and tow it to the track to ride if insurance is screwing you to the point where you could pay for a couple track days a month.

I wasn't looking for them to hold on the $ value especially over that length of time as I understand that things fluctuate... (although that would have been nice) Instead it went from a yes we CAN insure you to no we CANT insure you. That is where the issue lays. Had I been given a "HECK NO" originally... I would have looked into a different bike. Thanks for the reply though and I'll keep on the search for something that will work for me.

Since you have a car, you do have the option to install a hitch and tow it to the track to ride if insurance is screwing you to the point where you could pay for a couple track days a month.

I do have a jeep with a hitch already... that's an interesting idea. Not the best solution for maximised riding enjoyment... but worth looking into! Thanks for the idea PLau.

I wasn't looking for them to hold on the $ value especially over that length of time as I understand that things fluctuate... (although that would have been nice) Instead it went from a yes we CAN insure you to no we CANT insure you. That is where the issue lays. Had I been given a "HECK NO" originally... I would have looked into a different bike. Thanks for the reply though and I'll keep on the search for something that will work for me.

This happens all the time as companies adjust their risk profiles.

Again, hate to be blunt, but you need to call closer to the date of these sorts of decisions. My current bike I called my insurance company and confirmed things from the sellers yard before handing over the money and actually taking possession of the bike. I called back 3 hours later after getting it home and actually completed the insurance process and had a temp liability slip in my email 15 minutes later.

Anyhow, keep calling around, but unfortunately between this time last year and now a lot of companies cracked down on the younger/inexperienced market when it comes to supersports.

If you think that's bad ... I was told they can insure me on a SS, only to find out 2 DAYS later that I need to be atleast 30 yrs old else they can't insure me. I'm just glad I didn't sell my existing sport tourer within those 2 days.

Have you tried TD yet?

Sent from my LG-D852 using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Back
Top Bottom