Home made trailer registration | GTAMotorcycle.com

Home made trailer registration

joey12jet

Is this the only requirement for trailer with less than 900kg?

Reason im asking is because I bought a registered trailer with plate on it but the owner cant find his ownership.

Is it posible for me to register it as my homemade trailer instead of trying to get the ownership. The guy said he will get it today but he didnt do it today. I only have bill of sale.
782c6b040ee0b728115b37287673e115.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

It's dead easy - just go to a Service Ontario and tell them you want to register a homebuilt. They will ask you for a VIN, just give them a few random numbers and you're done.

Technically you're not supposed to do this as the trailer *does* have a VIN already, but in this situation sometimes those VIN numbers have been known to meet an angle grinder. ;)

Alternately, the existing owner, assuming the trailer IS actually registered in his name can go down to Service Ontario and for $15 get a new ownership. This does offer the guarantee that he actually owns the trailer, as well.

They can lookup the trailer VIN with his licence or the plate number, nothing more.

I have a boat trailer that was homebuilt by somebody (no VIN or ownership) that I registered as a homebuilt with no problems at all.

Back
Top Bottom