Buying private sale bike | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying private sale bike

Bill of sale and proof of payment means exactly diddly squat if the vehicle turns out to be stolen - the police will show up and relieve you of it, and you *could* actually face charges for possession of stolen property, as well.

I would never buy anything that I didn't see an ownership for ahead of time....in the sellers name.

The ownership also means diddly squat if it turns out to be stolen.

Reread the post I quoted. He was saying for example you could of reported some of the old vehicles that you had sold stolen and basically claimed them back as yours even though legally you sold them to someone else, that person simply never transferred the ownership but that doesn't mean they don't own it.

Ownerships are simply to easy to transfer in and out of peoples name to be the be all end all of legal ownership. It is more a registration then anything else. If you need to prove you legally own something you will need to show a bill of sale and proof of payment, those two items together form a contract. There's plenty of old ownerships floating around out there for vehicles in someone's name other then the current legal owner.

The title system in the U.S. is a bit better in this regard but can be a huge pain at times.

Um...not everyone has a hitch on their vehicle.
Maybe not, but everybody "knows a guy".

How recent is this experienced knowledge? It was my understanding that either last year or the year before they changed it. The policy has to be active for the proper VIN and it's all in the system now. I know in the past you've just had to write it down and they basically took your word that it was correct.
Used my auto policy when I plated my bike in April. But the information about new purchases being covered, came from Cumis insurance back in november when I told them I may be purchasing a vehicle at auction over the weekend. Live auctions typically have an mto agent available on site to issue special trip permits for purchases that are not titled unfit. Bought a truck at that auction, and got a trip permit 15 minutes later onsite. MTO in this case would have no reasonable expectation that the vehicle would be specifically listed on an active policy.

I've never provided a UVIP for anything I've sold. Why? Because Kijiji buyers are the most flakey bastards on the planet. I don't know how many times I've had someone flake out after they said "I'm coming on Saturday to see it."

Last bike I sold the guy provided his own UVIP. Which is the way I think it should be. If you're a serious buyer and want to know if there's a lean, even if I say there isn't, you should spend the $20.

I also won't safety it without a deposit. Again, way too many people flake out. The next guy might not care if it has a safety, so I've wasted $100.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I am selling one of my bikes, the buyer agreed to buy it. I just got the bike's safety done and the UVIP. I am sure he will show up; I have faith in people. I will let you know. worse case scenario, I will list the bike again or I lost $60 for the safety. I have sold my items on Kijiji, only once did the buyer not show up...

The OP is in Peterborough not the GTA hence the travel-to-see issue.

I bought my last Goldwing out of Michigan but the bike belonged to a member of a forum I was on and he didn't have any bad vibes. He sent lots of pictures pointing out every scratch. The price was very reasonable so I basically said "If it's as you show it I'll take it at your price."

I was patient in my search and the seller wasn't in a mad rush to grab cash so it was close to a deal made in heaven.

OP, it helps if you are looking for a specific bike not just an "Anything decent" replacement. If you join a forum supporting that bike you might get some leads and if they have something listed on their buy and sell section you can to some extent check out the credibility of the seller.

On Kijiji or CL every bike is mint and never dropped, just needs a battery.

The UVIP makes sure the bike doesn't have any undesirable nasties but also lets you know how often it changed hands. When I got back into bikes the UVIP on my first purchase showed the bike had changed hands at least once a year. To me this was an indication of either a beginner bike or a lemon. Fortunately for me it was the former but I went looking for a replacement after a year or so as well.

Has anyone considered that the seller might not be the owner? John Doe is selling a bike for folding cash and it turns out the bike isn't his. Forgery is easy if the ownership was stolen with the bike. "I'm selling it for my uncle, brother etc." If a draft or certified cheque to the name on the ownership causes a problem there might be a problem.

Last edited:
I won't even finish reading an ad if I see "selling for my father" etc. I have a Dodge Caravan with the 6cyl in it and I tow a large pop-up all summer so renting a U-Haul trailer and pulling it isn't an issue. I've got some good ratchet straps too but would probably need a canyon dancer or something so I could clear the body work. I'd prefer to have as much info on a particular bike as possible, feel fairly confident that as long as the test ride doesn't reveal any issues and I find the bike comfortable be ready to do the deal that day and just pop over to the MTO same day and ride it home. It would be no trouble to get my brother to give me a ride to see a bike. So far it's been a little daunting. I've contacted 2 sellers about bikes asking if there have been any accidents, damage etc. The one seller stated that there were some marks from a tip over. When I asked for pics of the damage and a UVIP he said he would send me the pics but never delivered on them. A couple of days later the post was down so I'm assuming the bike sold. I had a friend from this site see my post and call me up and share his experience with buying bikes this way and it was a huge help and confidence booster for me. I don't have the exact bike I want nailed down, it's down to the "big 3" in Japanese ST bikes, the FJR, Concours, and ST. With my price range I am looking at the C10 Concours and the ST1100 more than the FJR. I'd love a nearly new FJR but I don't have the funds. Basically I am hoping to move to one of these bikes for a year or three or four until I get some more $$ saved up.

There's nothing wrong with my Bandit, it's in great shape. I've just come to a point where it's not what I want anymore. The one thing I have on my side is a lack of urgency. I have two small kids and several family camping trips planned this summer so riding isn't my number one priority any more. I can wait for the right bike and the right deal to come along. Thanks for all the help guys and gals.

Last edited:
I won't even finish reading an ad if I see "selling for my father" etc. I have a Dodge Caravan with the 6cyl in it and I tow a large pop-up all summer so renting a U-Haul trailer and pulling it isn't an issue. I've got some good ratchet straps too but would probably need a canyon dancer or something so I could clear the body work. I'd prefer to have as much info on a particular bike as possible, feel fairly confident that as long as the test ride doesn't reveal any issues and I find the bike comfortable be ready to do the deal that day and just pop over to the MTO same day and ride it home. It would be no trouble to get my brother to give me a ride to see a bike. So far it's been a little daunting. I've contacted 2 sellers about bikes asking if there have been any accidents, damage etc. The one seller stated that there were some marks from a tip over. When I asked for pics of the damage and a UVIP he said he would send me the pics but never delivered on them. A couple of days later the post was down so I'm assuming the bike sold. I had a friend from this site see my post and call me up and share his experience with buying bikes this way and it was a huge help and confidence booster for me. I don't have the exact bike I want nailed down, it's down to the "big 3" in Japanese ST bikes, the FJR, Concours, and ST. With my price range I am looking at the C10 Concours and the ST1100 more than the FJR. I'd love a nearly new FJR but I don't have the funds. Basically I am hoping to move to one of these bikes for a year or three or four until I get some more $$ saved up.

There's nothing wrong with my Bandit, it's in great shape. I've just come to a point where it's not what I want anymore. The one thing I have on my side is a lack of urgency. I have two small kids and several family camping trips planned this summer so riding isn't my number one priority any more. I can wait for the right bike and the right deal to come along. Thanks for all the help guys and gals.
These both seemed decent and they're local to me. If you're interested in anything over this way PM me and I can go give check it out for you to save the trip only to find a turd lol.

Please view this ad:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-tourin...aign=socialbuttonsVIP&utm_content=app_android

Price: $*4,100

Download the application from the Google Play Store.
http://goo.gl/Hs9Yg
Or

Please view this ad:

Honda ST1100,
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-tourin...aign=socialbuttonsVIP&utm_content=app_android

Price: $*3,500

Download the application from the Google Play Store.
http://goo.gl/Hs9Yg

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Thanks for the offer Iceman, but I'd rather do it myself. I keep an eye on Kijiji and Autotrader pretty regularly and the right bike will pop up sooner or later. I'm looking for a very clean example, preferably in the 50,000-65,000km range. The ST1100 that I had contacted the owner of looked very clean and had 36,000km on it. The FJR had 63,000km. I'm in no rush. I find around the beginning or middle of August bikes start popping up for guys who are thinking about getting a new one over the winter or during show season and they want to free up the $$ or don't want to store their current bike for another winter.

So I went to see a 2004 Yamaha FJR on Wednesday. It was immaculate! The paint was flawless (aside from the 3 scratches the owner had already sent me pics of) and it was as clean as a showroom new bike. It had 56,000km on it and had extremely detailed service records and receipts. The owner after talking with me for a few minutes tossed me the keys and said to take it out as long as I needed to! Then he went inside saying he had a couple of chores to do. I took it for a test ride and everything was as it should be, but there was one fatal flaw. The bike lived up to it's nickname "The Toaster"! I thought my left let was on a rotisserie! At first I figured it was just because I was going 40km/h in town, but once I got out on the open road and up to 100km/h it was just as bad! I even tried to reason with myself that I would get used to it, but then I remembered that it was only 20c out and that in mid summer it would be unbearable! I had heard other Gen1 owners complain of the heat and figured it was just blown out of proportion, but it was a deal breaker for me. I was bummed!

As I continue to search for a new bike I hope other sellers are as easy going and trusting as this one was, but I doubt it!!

Back
Top Bottom