Min Bike prep for SMP lap days | GTAMotorcycle.com

Min Bike prep for SMP lap days

Ethereal

Looking to take my bike to some lap days but find some of the rules fuzzy. Referring to the link posted at the bottom I have a question about #9 and #12

9. Oil drain plugs and bolts that hold fluids in reserve should be drilled and lockwired and free of leaks. Antifreeze is not permitted. (distilled water and waterwetter is allowed).

Does this mean has to be wired? or should be?

I ask this because upon looking at the requirements for RACE school a street licensed machine does require it for the use on the same track. I am looking at doing them minimum to my bike and do not want to start drilling anything if not needed.

12. Full riding leathers in good condition are required, either 1-piece or 2-piece. If 2-piece leathers are used, the upper & lower parts must be zipped together with afull circumference zipper. Leather gloves and boots (that go above the ankle) arerequired. Plastic, Kevlar, or nylon riding apparel is not permitted.

Does this mean boots need to be leather? or are racing boots ok?

Link to SMP lap days
http://www.shannonville.com/assets/files/2017 Shannonville Motorcycle lapping Day Rules(8)(9).pdf

Link to RACE rules and prep at Shannoville

http://www.shannonville.com/assets/files/2017 RACE School Application - English.pdf

I have done both regular SMP lapping days and lapped on a Friday practice of a race weekend and the two inspections are WAY different, on the Friday before a race round the inspection is very thorough, they guy has a stand that you roll your bike onto and he gives it a good check, where on a regular SMP lapping day I passed tech while the bike was still strapped to the trailer.

To answer your questions:
1. no need to safety wire for lapping, just swap the coolant for water and tape up the lights
2. I dont get what you are asking, I don't think there are race boots that are not leather

Most look like they are all nylon with some leather

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

I have done both regular SMP lapping days and lapped on a Friday practice of a race weekend and the two inspections are WAY different, on the Friday before a race round the inspection is very thorough, they guy has a stand that you roll your bike onto and he gives it a good check, where on a regular SMP lapping day I passed tech while the bike was still strapped to the trailer.

To answer your questions:
1. no need to safety wire for lapping, just swap the coolant for water and tape up the lights
2. I dont get what you are asking, I don't think there are race boots that are not leather

Maybe he mean't like Red Wings type of leather boots?

Half of my race/track boots are hard plastic and half leather.

Track style boots that come way above your ankles are a must.

In my experience, boot material has never been part of the requirement. The main requirement being that the boots are over ankle.

AJ

Most look like they are all nylon with some leather

Those are nylon shells/sliders/structures over top of leather inside.

Proper roadrace-style boots of any reputable brand won't be a problem.

The good ones have various structures to support your ankle to only allow it to bend in the direction that it's supposed to, and provide at least some decent amount of resistance against getting squashed flat. If you crash and go tumbling, and/or the bike lands on your foot in the process, you will want to be wearing something good instead of just the bare minimum.

The plastic on its own isn't sufficient because if you go sliding as opposed to tumbling, it can melt and/or wear through.

I am looking to do the bare minimum prep to the bike. As for gear I have a full race set(Shoei x14 helmet,Dainese one pcs suit, Five RFX3 gloves, TCX R-S2 EVO boots). It was the nylon part of the rule that made me question my boots. I know they have leather but look to be over 70% nylon.

I am looking to do the bare minimum prep to the bike. As for gear I have a full race set(Shoei x14 helmet,Dainese one pcs suit, Five RFX3 gloves, TCX R-S2 EVO boots). It was the nylon part of the rule that made me question my boots. I know they have leather but look to be over 70% nylon.
U should be 100% with those boots ? It would be a first to me if u were given any problems participating in any track day with those boots.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

So for the Riders choice track day I have to get a back protector as well. Guess that little foam hump does not count lol. I thought the suit had one built in.

Yes, back protector is a must in my opinion. It was mandatory at our days when we were running them but not sure if all organizers now mandate them. Lots of options now though at many price points ?

Always a good plan.

So for the Riders choice track day I have to get a back protector as well. Guess that little foam hump does not count lol. I thought the suit had one built in.

They don't do a tech inspection on gear.
always a good idea to wear one though just in case...

It's my first track day so I want to be prepare.

Another question. How much gas does one use for a day of riding? My bike is 750cc and I have above avg endurance from cycling.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

I always bring 20L with me, whatever I dont use goes in the car

25L of 94 is more than good enough and as mbroyda said, any extra can just be put in ur car/truck. Always better to have more than less and have to possibly find extra fuel. At Shanny they do have pumps but no guarantee they'll be open. I also bring a separate small jerry can of low octane fuel for the genny.

25L of 94 is more than good enough and as mbroyda said, any extra can just be put in ur car/truck. Always better to have more than less and have to possibly find extra fuel. At Shanny they do have pumps but no guarantee they'll be open. I also bring a separate small jerry can of low octane fuel for the genny.

94 normally has ethanol.

Shell, Canadian Tire or Ultramar 91

Back
Top Bottom