Where can I get this kind of stitch in gta? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Where can I get this kind of stitch in gta?

Cycle World Superstore on Sheppard near McCowan in Scarborough has a heavy-duty leather sewing machine to repair motorcycle leathers. They probably can do it.

Do you know of anyone that works there that knows how to use that sewing machine? MC gear can be a little complex. Still, straps are not difficult, with the right thread.

Anyone with a sewing machine can do that stitch, including all home machines. There's nothing special about the stitch. You'll need to use upholstery thread, because cotton will rot and weaken. If you wish to save some money then learn to sew.

I fabricated a leg heat-shield to keep my rain gear from melting on my pipes tonight, since from the looks of this summer we are not going to get 48 hours without rain, so I'm going to be using my wet weather gear a lot more.

A yard of ironing board material from Fabricland, some Velcro strips, and some sewing machine work, and it's all finished - covers my entire right leg from my ankle right up to my thigh.

Anyhow, I did these stitches where the velcro strap attaches to the fabric (which I also stitched up, but that's another story) and it reminded me of this thread.

stitching1.jpg

As mentioned by TorontoBoy, these sorts of things can be done with any run of the mill home sewing machine. I use heavy duty upholstery thread which doesn't rot and also survives the tannins from leather, etc.

Anyhow, looking at your photo of the first attempt Joey, I'd get the next shop to make sure that they pre-position the loops so that they are angled properly based on the way they will sit on the tire - having them stitched basically straight but then asking them to work at a 45 degree angle means that they are not putting tension on the stitched joint evenly. It'll also look a whole lot better.

And yes, I'm secure enough in my masculinity to admit that I know how to operate a sewing machine. I don't remember a lot about trigonometry, The Pythagorean Theorem, or how to calculate the hypotenuse of a triangle, but some of the actually useful skills I learned in high school that I still use was touch typing (I can type in excess of 120WPM) and, yes, how to operate a sewing machine, amongst other "real world" skills. ;)

I fabricated a leg heat-shield to keep my rain gear from melting on my pipes tonight...covers my entire right leg from my ankle right up to my thigh.

stitching1.jpg

Heat cut, or at least heat treated edges - Check, Upholstery thread - Check

It looks good. I usually double stitch the perimeter, which is the stressor, the place that usually rips first. In your "X" I usually just continue with a straight stitch, whereas you did a zigzag. Fancy!

I usually double stitch the perimeter, which is the stressor

Wouldn't have been a bad idea, but there really won't be a huge amount of stress on these in the end, just enough to hold it to my leg basically. FWIW the straight stitches are a very tight pattern so there's actually a ton of individual stitches in there vs a wider pattern with more distance between such.

Back
Top Bottom