Has anyone done the East Coast trip? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Has anyone done the East Coast trip?

If crossing New Brunswick through Miramichi in June, don't stop or you'll be in danger of being carried away by blackflies! Have done the east coast a couple times. Halifax is amazing; the highlight of the trip and looking forward to returning there one day.

The Trans-Canada is pretty boring. I kinda knew that going into it, I just wanted to see it for myself. I did the other leg south of the border, and I would recommend that strategy.

When planning your arrival at the dock for the NB -> NS ferry, keep time zone differences in mind. I know I'm not the only one who's made that mistake

use the 132 and not the 20 (trans Canada - nothing to see but trees). On the 132, you get lots of corners and things to see (St-Laurent, gulf and sea, towns, etc.)

I was born in Montreal so I have been East often. What you want to do is head to Nova Scotia and ride The Cabot Trail. You will never forget. Best motorcycle road and sights in the country (I liked that ride better then my Banff-Jasper ride to give you and idea). Use the 132 untill you reach Riviere-du-loup and hop on highway 2 direction Nova Scotia. Post pictures when you come back :)

Last edited:
I did a shorter route Ottawa-Montreal-Quebec with a friend. Wouldn't say that it was something fascinating, but generally it was a great time to hang out with my mate. Think solo I would be bored to death

Did round trip in an RV. Went east through Canada and back west through the US. The US is of course more interesting than the trans Canada going east.

Thanks for all the advises. And ewww to blackflies.
I was told to crossover the US but I kinda want to make it a Canadian trip :)
What about cellphone reception? I had bad experience with not having cellphone signal in Cali.
Are there a lot of gas stations along the way? My tank is about 200km.

Bell is the dominant carrier in the east. Lots of cell towers along the major highways. Plenty of fuel stops too.

It's when you venture off things get a little scarce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depending on how you route there can be some big stretches between stations. Cabot Trail in particular IIRC. I'm not the best planner but I did have a 24L tank. Also when you're in the asscrack of nowhere stations tend to close in the early evening (though in theory you should be done riding by that point anyway)

I did the Ontario to Cape Breton loop 2 years ago.
Would highly recommend going one direction through the US.
We went east through New England, crossed into NY at 1000 islands.
East through NY, Vermont, NH and into Maine. Great trip.
Crossed into NB at Calais. East across NB and into NS, then up to the island.
Cabot trail is a fantastic ride. Route back west stayed in Canada, and it was
kinda boring, and construction/traffic through Quebec was terrible.
To have a bit of stop and site-seeing time, it's an easy one week trip.

Paging @boots
He did it last year and going again this year (in the car, but still may have some answers)

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

I did it solo a few years back and went through the states. Crossed over at Niagara Falls, through the Adirondacks, ferry across Lake Champlain and continue east from there. I enjoyed the whole ride out, save for a boring stretch in Maine. I basically went there and back again, was sick the whole trip and there was nothing but rain every day. Hope to do it again with better sometime. Never a issue finding fuel for me, though my range is pretty good on a GSA with a 32 L tank. I usually start looking at filling up when I get down to a quarter tank.

I am thinking of doing a week long east coast trip starting this Friday. This is going to be my first major trip on my bike so looking for other riders to ride with. Anyone interested?

Thanks you all again.

I was recommended a few nice routes going through the U.S. but that gotta leave for next time going with someone else I guess. For now I'd like to travel within Canada. It won't be as bad to stop in MTL, QC. It looks like there will be a few long stretches about 700km more or less.

I was considering of booking accommodation ahead of time but I think if something happens and I can't reach the destination as planned that I will be screwed with the reservation.

Thanks for all the advises. And ewww to blackflies.
I was told to crossover the US but I kinda want to make it a Canadian trip :)
What about cellphone reception? I had bad experience with not having cellphone signal in Cali.
My light comes on at 160km. I was fine. Word of advice, if you plan on doing lots of small backroads & avoiding highways, put some highways every 180kms. That way you will see stations. Passing through a town every 180km is also a good idea

Get a Nav program that does not need cell coverage. I use TomTom.
It will show you all the stations and also provide you with immense fun via Winding Roads.

rule of thumb if off the main routes...fill up as soon as you see a gas station after you are at 1/2 full.

Cape Breton suggestions,
Once you cross the causeway, turn left and take the scenic route thru Port Hood. Spend a night in Inverness an have dinner at the Glenora Distillery, you will go back! Spend some time in Baddeck , and the old hwy from Sydney to Port Hawkesbury is a nice ride! I would recommend taking the ferry to Port-aux-Basque and visiting Gros Morne, if you have the time?
-

Back
Top Bottom