Piston Ring Compressor | GTAMotorcycle.com

Piston Ring Compressor

Mike-the-Bike

On the home stretch with my GPZ550 restore. Had the cylinders honed with new rings and need to get it assembled

The smallest ring compressor we have at work is 4 inches. I need about 2.4/60mm inches. Is there anywhere in the GTA I can buy these? Or does someone have a set they would be willing to loan, rent for money, Tim's or case of beer :)

TIA

On the home stretch with my GPZ550 restore. Had the cylinders honed with new rings and need to get it assembled

The smallest ring compressor we have at work is 4 inches. I need about 2.4/60mm inches. Is there anywhere in the GTA I can buy these? Or does someone have a set they would be willing to loan, rent for money, Tim's or case of beer :)

TIA

If its a 'one time' just go buy some proper diameter hose clamps.
It has a taper in the bottom of the liners. correct ?
You don't need much squeeze to slide the cylinders down.

Princess auto will have them. I believe it's made by lisle. You use an Allen head socket or Allen key to tighten up and the band will tighten up to a small diameter. Fairly cheap and they work well. Had mine for more than 20 years. I have used mine many times with success. Just have to make sure you tap the tool after winding up to make sure the bands are level so the rings slide in the bore properly.

If its a 'one time' just go buy some proper diameter hose clamps.
It has a taper in the bottom of the liners. correct ?
You don't need much squeeze to slide the cylinders down.

Yup.

We have a those at work for larger engines but they don't come apart so they are only good for putting the piston in from the top of the cylinder. Its not a problem with the aero engine as the crank can be bolted up once the piston is installed. Kind of like a car. Can you separate the smaller ones to get the off the rod as the piston goes in from the bottom?

+1 for the hose clamps.

I had a gpz750 that had the 810 wiseco big bore. Because Kawasaki machined the bottom of the cylinders thinner where they exit the block its hard to get a good chamfer. I think all their 4's from that era was the same.

It will go in. You need to make sure the pistons are lined up 100% with the bore. If the rock slightly the small chamfer allows the ring to pop out. Just go slowly.

I found the only other piece of essential equipment needed was a large swear box:)

Back
Top Bottom