Left handed drill bit needed ASAP - Where to buy or who has them | GTAMotorcycle.com

Left handed drill bit needed ASAP - Where to buy or who has them

-D-

Banned
damaged bolt
top of the gas tank
tried every trick, nothing worked

I want to try a left handed drill bit to see if that can extract the bolt.

Please post or PM me.
If there is a store close to 401/404 or along the corridor close to there please let me know.
Thanks!

Can't use an easy out?

Princess auto on McCowan?

If you can, drill it out and re tap the threads

You probably don't want to wait but Amazon.ca definitely has them. Last left hand bit I purchased was at Sears of all places.

You probably don't want to wait but Amazon.ca definitely has them. Last left hand bit I purchased was at Sears of all places.

I can wait a few days.
Which one do you suggest, add a link.
I was looking at some already.

Hoping someone here can help me out or point me to store close by.

If I'm looking at those images correctly....you could use a bigger drill bit to knock the head off. This will allow the tank to lift off. Then remove remainder of bolt which should still be protruding. That looks like a top hat type spacer under the bolt head. That will save from drilling into the tank tab.

If I'm looking at those images correctly....you could use a bigger drill bit to knock the head off. This will allow the tank to lift off. Then remove remainder of bolt which should still be protruding. That looks like a top hat type spacer under the bolt head. That will save from drilling into the tank tab.

I was thinking that.
I can try it, or chisel off the top also.
Once the friction of the top of the bolt is gone then I should be able to remove the rest with vice grip???
correct?

I was thinking that.
I can try it, or chisel off the top also.
Once the friction of the top of the bolt is gone then I should be able to remove the rest with vice grip???
correct?

Don't chisel if you can avoid it. That bolt is going into aluminum, yes? A bigger drill should centre itself. Just proceed slowly, the head will come off. Then vise grip the rest.

Princess auto, canadian tire, or any hardware store will have bolt extractor kits. Go ahead and toss the gimmicky grabbit in the dumpster, it's useless. Get bolt extractor, drill pilot hole, use extractor bit in pilot hole, done. Works on any stripped or broken bolt or screw, even soft metal, without requiring it to have a viable head on it.

Oh, and never ever buy a tool with a tv commercial ever again, it's the first clue that it's a cheap gimmick. Good tools don't need commercials.

This set has saved my a55 a few times, like when I snapped off a pressure plate bolt while replacing the clutch in my chevy. https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/8-pc-screw-extractor-set/A-p8609174e
or this one for less $ https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/8-pc-spiral-flute-screw-extractor-set/A-p8536229e

Last edited:
I have a set you can borrow but if you broke a head when you're trying to remove a bolt, chances are the bolt is probably seized in there good.

Last edited:
I work as a mechanic from what you have described a left hand drill bit is not going to work. I have a set the only time they work is when the bolt is loose. If it is as tight as you described it will just drill down like a regular bit does. But if you want to try I bought mine at carquest.

I have a set you can borrow but if you broke a head when you're trying to remove a bolt, chances are the bolt is probably seized in there good.

Nothing broke.
I just grounded out the allen head bolt (made from soft aluminum).
The bolt is a bit corroded, not rust but moisture is my guess from previous owner storage.

If I can get the head off like Inreb suggested then I can get some wd40 or oil to loosen up the bolt and remove with drill bit or vice grip.

You can apply some light heat. WITH TANK CLOSED AND LEATHER COVERING ALL BUT THE PROBLEM BOLT USING A HAIR DRYER IN A WELL VENTED AREA. The screw my be aluminum but the nut portion will likely be ferrous. The alloy or aluminum expand at different rates. Heating it then cooling it rapidly may help free the corrosion. PB blaster is a great product to help you out. Save the WD40 cleaning and drying out electronics, its not good at penetrating. If the material is soft I would slowly drill the head off then extract with a cheap easy out. NO HIGH SPEED DRILLING. When your drilling if its looks like ribbon or long pencil shavings the speed is good. If its firing little shards everywhere your going to fast and will dull your bit and if it not alloy and is farrous you will harden the screw making it even worse.

is it recessed or can you cleanly see the head? If you can get a dremmel in there, cut a channel and use a flat screw driver. If it is recessed, use a pilot hole, if the bolt is aluminum and a reverse thread bolt.

Nothing broke.
I just grounded out the allen head bolt (made from soft aluminum).
The bolt is a bit corroded, not rust but moisture is my guess from previous owner storage.

If I can get the head off like Inreb suggested then I can get some wd40 or oil to loosen up the bolt and remove with drill bit or vice grip.

is it recessed or can you cleanly see the head? If you can get a dremmel in there, cut a channel and use a flat screw driver. If it is recessed, use a pilot hole, if the bolt is aluminum and a reverse thread bolt.

see pic
the head is about gone, was trying to cut a slot

I will try to remove the remainder of the head with drill bit
Inreb might be right in so the washer is a spacer. Once I remove the washer then part of the bolt will be sticking out enough for me to use vice grips or something to remove it.

Space is too tricky for dremel. I don't want to damage the tank.

1 stupid bolt holding up the production line, lol

Back
Top Bottom