Speeding ticket reduction and options? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Speeding ticket reduction and options?

ajaxguy

I know there is a sticky but I didn't see this in that sticky.

So I received a speeding ticket in my truck last Saturday while in Quinte after my sons baseball game. I am normally pretty good with watching in areas that I dont go to that much, but was just enjoying the views honestly and didn't pay attention to my speed.
Now mind you it is definitely a trap area as it was a 50km zone..we all know what 50 feels like lol.

I was apparently doing 80 which I am sure I was. he was in a stealth car, nice cop and all and asked about my record which i told him nothing in three years.

he came back after 10 mins, and said I was right no tickets recently and took that into consideration along with me coming from the ball game and reduced it from 80 in a 50 ( $250 fine) to 70 in a 50 ( $95 fine) and obviously explained my options.

I usually fight all my tickets, but when i get them I am local..so I have to travel over an hour to fight it and thats not so bad I guess, but if I do lose can the crown bump it back to the original amount and speed that he reduced it from?

If not, then nothing to lose really and might as well see if I can catch him not there or whatever.

he came back after 10 mins, and said I was right no tickets recently and took that into consideration along with me coming from the ball game and reduced it from 80 in a 50 ( $250 fine) to 70 in a 50 ( $95 fine) and obviously explained my options.

I usually fight all my tickets, but when i get them I am local..so I have to travel over an hour to fight it and thats not so bad I guess, but if I do lose can the crown bump it back to the original amount and speed that he reduced it from?

If not, then nothing to lose really and might as well see if I can catch him not there or whatever.

Ticket can be bumped up to original speed in court (unless for some magic reason the cop didn't record the original speed, but I have never heard of that happening).

I haven't fought a quinte ticket, but in my experience the smaller the municipality gets, the lower your chances of winning are. When the JP, prosecutor and cop are on a first name basis, your chances of winning are pretty damn small.

I had a ticket that was reduced on the spot...went to get another reduction at the first attendant mtg...she told me it had already been lowered. Had the original speed written and circled on the cops copy.

Last edited:
Unless you feel you can win in court and get it completely tossed out...honestly, you're proabably better off just paying it and being done with it. It's a minor ticket that won't effect your insurance much (if at all), and you only stand to lose trying to fight it in a full court if you turn down early resolution - the Crown will almost always amend the ticket to the full original (non reduced) amount, so you'll be looking at more money and probably points as well - I believe it's 3 points for 30 over.

Early resolution won't offer you much if anything aside from probably more time to pay if you need it, because again, the ticket was already reduced.

Weighing the cost of gas and potentially time off work to try to fight a <$100 ticket that (given your clean record) isn't going to matter much anyways wouldn't be worth it for me UNLESS it was a ticket that was going to have a dramatic effect on my record/licence somehow.

A paralegal is a waste of time and money for this as well, again, UNLESS you know for sure that the ticket is going to be completely tossed out. Any other outcome is just going to cost you more money in the end.

There will be of course people here to say "fight everything", but they never rush to tell you about all the times they did that and lost anyways, costing them more money after the fact for having accomplished little or nothing.

The speeding ticket given by Cop even if a minor does effect your insurance rates, my be by 10% or less. and it will stay on record for 3 years. So just take this into consideration along with what other says.

When is your insurance policy coming up for renewal. Is it in next few months ? In case u decide not to fight it, then don't pay the ticket until renewal (if possible) - as "most" insurance companies check your Driving Abstract only at renewal. So if U don't pay until your renewal then it will not appear on your record and you can enjoy another full year without being penalized for this ticket.

All great points but was leaning towards private pilot answer.. as the cost/time ratio is worth more then the $95 and I know most insurance companies wont rape you for one minor ticket..my renewal is November but I would rather pay sooner then later so that 3 years isn't drawn out any longer.

All great points but was leaning towards private pilot answer.. as the cost/time ratio is worth more then the $95 and I know most insurance companies wont rape you for one minor ticket..my renewal is November but I would rather pay sooner then later so that 3 years isn't drawn out any longer.

Doesn't your 20 km/h over ticket still include points?

It's 3 points. If you have the willpower to slow down until it's off your record, then that's the best way to go, otherwise, fight every ticket.

It's 3 points. If you have the willpower to slow down until it's off your record, then that's the best way to go, otherwise, fight every ticket.
Don't mean to threadjack, but I got a 36 over a bit ago, waiting on the court date atm, and it doesn't have any demerit points noted in the ticket, just a hefty fine. If it doesn't note it, are there still any points? Is it cause to have the ticket tossed in court if it's missing it?
This was a speed trap at the Bathurst bridge north of St Clair, very common trap spot.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

From my understanding, points don't matter except for losing and/or keeping your license if you are a repeat offender or still hold a learners license (so G2, M2, G2M2, GM2, etc). As far as insurance companies care, they only see Minor, Major, and Criminal, so they'll treat a 10 over ticket the same as a 49 over. Therefore biggest reason to fight would be to change the classification, or if you really think the cop was in err and you weren't speeding at all.

Points aren't on the ticket as they have nothing to do with the judicial process. They are assigned automatically by the MTO with the conviction and only for that conviction. ie; you're ticketed for a 6 point offence but plead guilty on a 3 point offence. That means 3 points are assigned. There is no leverage for the points, the JP can't adjust it at all.

Don't mean to threadjack, but I got a 36 over a bit ago, waiting on the court date atm, and it doesn't have any demerit points noted in the ticket, just a hefty fine. If it doesn't note it, are there still any points? Is it cause to have the ticket tossed in court if it's missing it?
This was a speed trap at the Bathurst bridge north of St Clair, very common trap spot.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Points aren't on the ticket as they have nothing to do with the judicial process. They are assigned automatically by the MTO with the conviction and only for that conviction. ie; you're ticketed for a 6 point offence but plead guilty on a 3 point offence. That means 3 points are assigned. There is no leverage for the points, the JP can't adjust it at all.
That is exactly the information I needed! Thanks a bunch. ?

Back
Top Bottom