trading bikes with someone...how to handle taxes ??? | GTAMotorcycle.com

trading bikes with someone...how to handle taxes ???

D

Dr. Luxurious

ive got a bike for sale and im thinking of doing a straight up trade with someone for another bike ...can the braintrust please advise as to how to best handle the sales tax situation ?
no money will be changing hands.
thanks !

The barter system was all the rage before the advent of the mechanical horse. It's hardly a coincidence that death and taxes rose markedly afterwards. Trading those bikes is going to set the western hemisphere back about a century. Taxes should be your last concern matey.

just put $1.00 on the transfer and keep your hard earned money. let us know what happened?

this. Sell them to each other for $1. You will still need the UVIP and safety, so still gonna cost a few $.

When the letter comes just don't confirm the $1. Hilarity will ensue.

If you give low value on bike you'll get a letter sometimes. Happened to me. Made paper airplane.

Declare $1 as other people have stated. If the buyer receives a letter requesting a confirmation of what they paid for the bike, obviously, they can ignore it. However, the greater problem is if if the seller receives the same letter. Have a good understanding with the seller that you're going to declare $1 for the transaction and they they are going to also ignore any MTO letter should they receive one.

Done this twice now - just as everyone has said...put a dollar down as sale price to make it official. On my receipt that I show the ministry, I show bike/vin traded for bike/vin....they had zero issues with it...

Never got a letter...

Back
Top Bottom