Waypoint gps apps? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Waypoint gps apps?

bigpoppa

I'm looking for something very specfic, essentially i want to be able to plan my trips out beforehand on a map and have it appear on the gps/map while i am riding, without the need for adding addresses.

I tried this with google maps, and it works ok, but its only letting me put a limited number of 'desinations' on the map.

Best way to explain this would be, i want to mark a bunch of waypoints on a map, and have it become a route, then i want a gps/app to guide me from waypoint to waypoint without fail.

I have tried various apps, but none really seem to do what i want, at this point while it would be nice to have free solution, but i wouldnt mind spending some cash provided it does EXACTLY what i want

Any ideas?

I am facing the same problem. There is a feature on Google maps that allows you to plot a route. It's called "my maps" Hee is one I made. But the problem is it won't allow turn by turn navigation. You can download the .kml file and convert to .gpx. but I can't find an app to read the kml file.
https://goo.gl/maps/jXN4d1e7rcp

I know it's not the answer you are looking for, but this is one of the reasons I broke down and bought a Zumo after debating it for years.

There are several ... Furkot will work...search in the touring section. But the interface takes a bit of time to master.

Well for me furkot works like googlemaps with a ton of additionnal features IF needed. Most importantly trip saving, exports to various formats, search (around your trip)/import routes/tracks from other sources (your own tracks, well known routes/tracks websites etc), search (again around your trip) places to sleep...

AdvNener, Apr 12, 2017 Report#1056Like+ QuoteReply
DRTBYK

Not sure this was the place to ask my question but thanks for the replies.
I'm trying to justify taking the effort to learn a trip planner, I've played with FURKOT some but the way I've always traveled I've never felt the need to plan any detail at all. But this spring I'm thinking I will take some 2-3 trips and maybe should try planning something for a change.

I've also tried BaseCamp but always end up back in Google maps, it is just too easy to type in points, drag, drop and move routes. Then just somewhat remember what the route looked like, put a couple of points directly in the GPS and go. FURKOT and Basecamp I just can not do that, making changes in either just gets things royally screwed up.
First, Furkot and BaseCamp are completely different types of Applications. BaseCamp is first and foremost a ROUTE Planner. Yes, it does have a companion Trip Planner feature but it is very poorly integrated with the rest of BaseCamp.

Furkot, is a very robust TRIP Planner. You can use it like you would BaseCamp, to just create a Route, and you can use it the same as you would use Google Maps. But, here's the caveat, Furkot expects you are planning a Trip. That Trip has a Starting Point potentially some intermediate Stops and a Final Destination. This Trip has a time-line and Furkot can help you manage that time-line (a.k.a. Itinerary). If you are truly interested in using Furkot and getting the most out of it for your purposes, you might want to take a look at one or two of my Furkot videos.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDVWA3kZLksgxzNKXwMcYfz2_XEI7Igqe

Browse the thread
http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...p-planning-tool.1028148/page-53#post-32091176

Best way to explain this would be, i want to mark a bunch of waypoints on a map, and have it become a route, then i want a gps/app to guide me from waypoint to waypoint without fail.

Try RouteConverter (Mac/Win) (on or offline versions). By default it uses Google Maps but others are listed. Add waypoints to the map as you would on Google Maps and the lat/long is added to the list. The list will hold more than 200 waypoints. The results can be displayed as a route, waypoint or track. I've laid out routes offline without the limit that Google Maps imposes. I've imported GPX, KML files into the app a few with more than 200 waypoints. The results can be saved into more map formats I thought possible:.gpx, .klm, .os2, .gdb and .trp to name a few. I use Copilot on a cheap android phone (poor man's Zumo) and have used .trp file prepared by Routeconverter. Copy the file to the phone or SD card and load the trip into CoPilot. Some forum members are kind enough to post URL of their rides. It take a little while to prep: Google Map URL -> GPSVISUALIZER -> GPX file -> RouteConverter -> .trp file -> Phone -> CoPilot. Easier than Google Map/My Maps, Furkot or Garmin BaseCamp.

Try RouteConverter (Mac/Win) (on or offline versions). By default it uses Google Maps but others are listed. Add waypoints to the map as you would on Google Maps and the lat/long is added to the list. The list will hold more than 200 waypoints. The results can be displayed as a route, waypoint or track. I've laid out routes offline without the limit that Google Maps imposes. I've imported GPX, KML files into the app a few with more than 200 waypoints. The results can be saved into more map formats I thought possible:.gpx, .klm, .os2, .gdb and .trp to name a few. I use Copilot on a cheap android phone (poor man's Zumo) and have used .trp file prepared by Routeconverter. Copy the file to the phone or SD card and load the trip into CoPilot. Some forum members are kind enough to post URL of their rides. It take a little while to prep: Google Map URL -> GPSVISUALIZER -> GPX file -> RouteConverter -> .trp file -> Phone -> CoPilot. Easier than Google Map/My Maps, Furkot or Garmin BaseCamp.
So do you end up with turn by turn navigation? Or a route highlighted and you follow with you GPS location?

If you have a Garmin GPS you can use Basecamp (Garmin mapping program). You can drop waypoints wherever you want on a road without an address, then drag all your points in the order you want and it will route it for you. If you do not like the route you can add more waypoints to take you how you want. It is my favourite program and has all the maps physically downloaded to your computer which for me is important as I have been in places with no wifi and no data and needing to plan or alter the next days route. While you could do it on an actual nav device or phone, it is not an ideal way to plan a trip on a small screen.

So do you end up with turn by turn navigation? Or a route highlighted and you follow with you GPS location?

The GPS device or the app you are using would provide the turn by turn instructions. RouteConverter is for creating/organizing the waypoints and converting them into various formats used by various GPS hardware/software.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom