Brand new r3 - tire flat every morning. Less than 100 km | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Brand new r3 - tire flat every morning. Less than 100 km

Yeah, kinda doubt that. I bet you could show one to 100 motorcyclists and 75 wouldn't even be able to identify what it is, and maybe 5 or 10 of the remaining 25 might actually own one.

Handy tool for sure, and yes, not uncommon amongst backyard mechanics, and yes, if I was in the OP's situation I'd certainly check if it was something simple first that I could fix myself in 10 seconds with a valve stem tool, but it's moot if the OP isn't handy, or actually owns the tool.

I have a pack of steel valve caps with the "tool" built into their tops. I toss the plastic caps. spit is free.

OK, yeah, that's good advise for a novice with little to no tools.
Slather the wheel with soapy water while still on the bike. Bubbles will appear from somewhere.

That's a pretty big 'if' - until its looked at properly the OP is dangling.
It may be rim porosity (rare), a bad tire (possible) or as has been suggested a leaky valve stem.
"They will say it is any way" - how do you know that ?

IF IT WERE MY BIKE, I'd get some soapy water and slather the wheel/tire then look for bubbles.
The air has to be escaping from somewhere, doesn't it ?

OK, yeah, that's good advice for a novice with little to no tools.
Slather the wheel with soapy water while still on the bike. Bubbles will appear from somewhere.

Sometimes the simplest answers are the ones most overlooked.

OK, yeah, that's good advise for a novice with little to no tools.

It is good advice. No different than washing the bike. Like I said, do it in sections. Inspect, roll the bike a bit and do the next part of the tire, repeat till he's checked the entire wheel. When done, hose the tire off.

Come to think of it...I don't have a valve tool. Only one of the plastic caps with one built in.

Last edited:
If it is leaking around the entire circumference of the rim then the bead may not have ever been seated properly. Riding it in that condition may be hazardous.

... or the tire is defective or the rim is defective. Either way ... same result ... not safe to ride. The leak is (evidently) not because of a puncture in the tread, so it should be covered under warranty.

Now I would try to set the bead before riding it again.

Aye, but given that the bike is under warranty and it's (evidently) Yamaha that either messed up the install or supplied a bad part ... let the dealer do it.

I would take it back to the dealer. Be prepared for the evading responsibility list.
It's not a bike problem, it's a tire problem. Response: Where did I get the tires? Right here. That makes it YOUR problem.
We aren't responsible for that. Response: Here's the invoice, you charged me $1000 for dealer prep and you didn't even see if the tires would hold air? I want a new tire or refund of the prep.

I have seen this happen a few times. I have brought it up with Yamaha and Michelin (the tire manufacturer). The issue is the molding lines around where the bead seals to the rim. Hard to catch at PDI because the tires don't leak very quickly until they start being used. Not sure who your dealer is, but I am sure they will take care of you.

The tires are installed on the rims at factory, so nothing a dealer would have seen unless they had a few go flat in the shop before being delivered.. <cough>, allowing us (them) to fix it before it's an issue.

Back
Top Bottom