Can I get my M on a Polaris Slingshot? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Can I get my M on a Polaris Slingshot?

sid_for_speed

So the previous poster gave me this crazy idea...

the polaris Slignshot is considered to be a motorcycle...I think...

If so, can we go get our M on it?

Will the examiner entertain this idea if I show up for a test, riding(COUGH driving) this vehicle?

So the previous poster gave me this crazy idea...

the polaris Slignshot is considered to be a motorcycle...I think...

If so, can we go get our M on it?

Will the examiner entertain this idea if I show up for a test, riding(COUGH driving) this vehicle?
i sure hope not, i know they wont let you get a full M on a spyder, and honestly if you arent able to pass the test please take lessons.
the majority of the test is road riding/lane positions, shoulder checking and using lights and signals.

i also remember reading its only classified as a motorcycle for crash test reasons..you dont need a M class to actually operate it according to a shop that sells them that i was talking to.

If I do not get my M on it...because it's not technically a bike then can I get away by not wearing a helmet?

If I do not get my M on it...because it's not technically a bike then can I get away by not wearing a helmet?

You require helmets in a Slingshot.

As Brian mentioned, you can probably use it for a road test, but the same as someone who uses a Spyder you'll end up with a restricted M endorsement which means you will walk away with an "M(M)" licence which is then good ONLY for 3 wheeled "motorcycles". At that point, legally, you are not legal to ride a 2 wheeled motorcycle anymore.

If you want to become legal for 2 wheels at that point you need to take the road test again and pass the full M licence road test to have the "M" endorsement removed, the same as someone who has an M(L) (low speed/moped) licence who wants to upgrade to a full unrestricted M.

https://www.ontario.ca/faq/what-do-i-need-do-upgrade-my-ml-or-mm-licence-full-m-licence

So then I assume a M class holder (2wheel bike) is allowed to ride the slingshot with no issues..?

So then I assume a M class holder (2wheel bike) is allowed to ride the slingshot with no issues..?

The slingshot requires a G class to operate actually but are registered as a motorcycle.

Spyder (or any other trikes) can be operated with any M class licence.

Your question was specific to taking the road test in a three wheeled vehicle however, in the resulting restricted license that would come with it.

Arguably, come to think of it, the MTO could potentially disqualify you from taking your road test in a Slingshot given as how it is classified as a G class vehicle, actually, but the fact it's registered as a motorcycle on the ownership would give you a point to argue it.

I suspect it would be dependent on how well versed the examiner is on the Slingshot, if he/she knows that it's actually considered a G class vehicle despite being a 3 wheeler with helmets that many would lump in with motorcycles a a result. The fact it's registered as a motorcycle on the ownership would just confuse things even more I would think.

I suspect the same potential confusion would come into play if somebody arrived for a G road test in a slingshot - it's mixed breed licence/registration situation just muddies the waters.

In the end instead of dealing with all the possible confusion, license restrictions, and potentially being refused the test completely, just do it on your motorcycle instead.

The slingshot requires a G class to operate actually but are registered as a motorcycle.

Trust our licensing system to zap the fun out of both ends!...It's a car, but I need a helmet to run it on the road...It's a bike but I need a G licence to operate it...:p

That's because the rules (law) was written before anyone anticipated the possibility of a vehicle designed like this.

General rule, but if you can't pass the M on an actual bike, maybe you need to rethink the motorcycle thing or practice a lot more first. I can understand someone preferring a 250 over a R1, but a Slingshot would be completely pushing it.

Trust our licensing system to zap the fun out of both ends!...It's a car, but I need a helmet to run it on the road...It's a bike but I need a G licence to operate it...:p

Normally the law does some stupid **** but in this case, no.

Have you ever landed head first without a helmet on asphalt? I have, and I flatlined after.

And the thing handles nothing like a motorcycle; if you don't understand this, a lot of people are going to know you're a bad rider or missing some brain cells.

Doesn't the Slingshot corner flat, between the lines? Almost falling over every time you turn is one of the great joys or riding. I get it though, some people like spiders, others are phobic. For me, jumping spiders are excluded. I just can't get too salty when that family of critters gets curious. In fact, I was downright sad when I accidentally squashed one in my car, thinking it was a mosquito.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom