Tips for getting into Trades | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tips for getting into Trades

wearelopey

Hey all,

Strongly considering getting into trades, namely electrical, plumbing, or HVAC. Did the University thing (Liberal Arts) and found I enjoy working with my hands, and variety in a career. I really don't want to sit in an office all day doing data entry etc.

I'm on the lookout for Union apprenticeship hiring (Just missed IBEW a month ago), but the chance of me getting into any union is dicey.

I was wondering if anyone has any tips, leads, or personal experience about entering into trades?

What worked for you? What do you look for when choosing your next apprentice?

I'm good with my hands, and have a decent head on my shoulders. I will admit I'm pretty green in terms of trades (minor electrical, plumbing, HVAC at my parents place). I currently work in the motorcycle industry and although becoming an apprentice motorcycle mechanic is an option, I can't see myself doing it as a long term career.

Should I take a pre-apprenticeship at one of the colleges? I've heard that this won't necessarily help land an actual apprenticeship. This would also take up to 2 years to complete.

Should I just get in anywhere I can as a general labourer/helper and hope for an apprenticeship one day? I'm 27 now and worried that in 5 years I still won't be offered any kind of legitimate apprenticeship.

I'm willing to do what it takes to enter a trade, but sometimes it's difficult to start and I'd like to use my resources as wisely as possible. The goal being to prove myself and be taken on as an apprentice.

I live in Toronto if that makes any difference.

Again, I'm looking for any and all advice on how to enter trades, and appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks for looking!

What country I tell you a guy needs to beg into a trade and union. For shame.

Pretty interesting. I'm almost in the same boat as you. Got a business degree and have been toying with the idea of going down a similar path. Like yourself, I'd rather not spend more time in school, especially if it won't exactly help in landing an apprenticeship. Like most things in life, I'm assuming it's a case of who you know instead of what you know.

It's about who you know. If you don't know anyone it's going to be tough. There are green 18 year old apprentices who don't know what a pair of pliers are that work for the IBEW because their dad or uncle is friends with a foreman.

I can only speak for IBEW 353 as I'm an apprentice with them right now, the hiring process is tough but people who are green do get through, you just need some decent mechanical aptitude which they will test (Look at JAC website). When I got in, there was something like 150 openings and near 2000 applicants, but there is a way around this. Find a unionized company to take you on as an apprentice, and get sponsored into the union through them. Skip all the interviews and tests. Lots of people do it this way but again lots of these people have connections into the trade.

Pre-apprenticeship courses are pretty much useless in electrical because 353 has its own pre apprenticeship on top of the 5 year apprenticeship (only 6 year apprenticeship trade), and you would learn the same if not more than what's in a program (Can't speak for pre app programs on other trades). Very few apprentices who I've met have taken a pre app course and has gotten in to the union.

If you know nobody, sure try to get your foot in the door as a worker. But watch what company your going into. Lots of guys do this and end up getting treated like ****, hate it, and quit.

If I were you and had no connections, keep doing what you do right now until there are openings in which ever Union and apply. Intakes happen a few times a year in every union. If you don't care about Union, then apply everywhere your interested in and hope for a bite. Generally low rise non Union is easy to get because of high turnovers and demand, but at least you got your foot in and gain experience.

Sorry if it feels like I'm preaching unions but it's honestly a really good system for apprentices especially the JAC/IBEW 353. Extra training is provided and required, schooling is free, and pay is higher.

Any questions just pm me

Last edited:
unions are great, until you get laid off, and you are #5000 on the list before you get hired again....

unions are great, until you get laid off, and you are #5000 on the list before you get hired again....

Even accounting for your point making exaggeration this can be a huge plus depending on how much of a slave you want to be to the system we call society. Unionized tradesman can make 2000hrs. pay in 1400ish hours? Take spa for 600hrs. if you know what I mean. Of an 8hr. shift you work 3ish hrs. probably more, to cover your total tax burden. Now if you need a certain type of car and the wife needs a $10,000 front door, ya, work like a dog.

@Sunny....getting laid off is part of life everywhere. It's a matter of how you game the systems. If you get into the right union you'll see guys go on a layoff for months at a time to wait for a big job again and make way more than what they lost during their 'layoff' at which they work for cash....Big construction jobs pay a stupid amount of money to the unions to supply the labour, game the system well, and you'll make 150k/year easy with ZERO SKILL. Sure it's not in every union, and not in every construction jobs, but choose your field wisely in this City and you'll be set. And learn how to suck on some D...that always helps as it's ridiculously competitive.

As for OP, I thought about it as well and I regret 100% that I didn't do it. But I thought about it in my 30s, you can find my thread here as well. I'm not in a position to drop down my salary to the apprentice level. Good luck. If I could do an apprenticeship part time, or even schooling part time to be accepted I'd be all over it. Humber offers the entry level HVAC semester as an on-line which will get you the G3 license. After that it's all in-class.

have you considered the heavy equipment technician route?
it is hard work, but heavily in demand and the pay is much higher than working on motorcycles
the Cat dealer in Ontario - Toromont, is always hiring and signing up apprentices,
they really like University educated candidates and may look at you for another role as well

I went this route on a whim 30 years ago as I liked messing with bikes, has served me very well
after attaining red seal journeyman status I had excellent mobility and have worked all over Canada,
in Africa, Afghanistan and currently in KSA

As JV stated above, that's a great suggestion. Heavy equipment repair/maintenance will always be in demand, and not as many guys going into it as plumbers, electricians, etc. The pay is fantastic, good benefits, and get with the right company and they'll take care of you outside of the union. I'm in tunneling and can tell you that if you're good...there will NEVER be a shortage of jobs for guys like that. Your name travels quickly, and if you're a great mechanic with a good attitude, the money and offers just flow in. Grueling work, injuries, hard work conditions, dirty, and very stressful when the entire job site shuts down for you to finish your job. But very rewarding.

Grueling work, injuries, hard work conditions, dirty, and very stressful

yup, some days it is all of those things, except the injury part, entered the trade in mid 80's
and never missed a day from a work related injury, smart guys end up doing the sort of
work that is lower risk and easier on the body - troubleshooting, the sledge hammer guys burn out fast

OP, if you're interested, have a look here:
http://careers.toromontcat.com/pages/big-careers-apprenticeship

Last edited:
Grueling work, injuries, hard work conditions, dirty, and very stressful

yup, some days it is all of those things, except the injury part, entered the trade in mid 80's
and never missed a day from a work related injury, smart guys end up doing the sort of
work that is lower risk and easier on the body - troubleshooting, the sledge hammer guys burn out fast

OP, if you're interested, have a look here:
http://careers.toromontcat.com/pages/big-careers-apprenticeship

I was at a Saturday BBQ a few years ago with a heavy equipment mechanic buddy. He got crushed to death Monday AM.

He was a husky guy with a get it done attitude working for a high risk company. Sometimes the safest thing one can do is say no to the boss.

Have the journeyman / apprentice ratios changed recently for electrical? I heard it was going to 1:1 so fewer apprentices? Not sure how that plays out for newbies.

Did one night shift shut down of heavy millwrighting at Dofasco last month. My buddy did 34 years there. The human body is very exposed. If it was easy woman and children would be doing it.

@Sunny....getting laid off is part of life everywhere. It's a matter of how you game the systems. If you get into the right union you'll see guys go on a layoff for months at a time to wait for a big job again and make way more than what they lost during their 'layoff' at which they work for cash....Big construction jobs pay a stupid amount of money to the unions to supply the labour, game the system well, and you'll make 150k/year easy with ZERO SKILL. Sure it's not in every union, and not in every construction jobs, but choose your field wisely in this City and you'll be set. And learn how to suck on some D...that always helps as it's ridiculously competitive.

As for OP, I thought about it as well and I regret 100% that I didn't do it. But I thought about it in my 30s, you can find my thread here as well. I'm not in a position to drop down my salary to the apprentice level. Good luck. If I could do an apprenticeship part time, or even schooling part time to be accepted I'd be all over it. Humber offers the entry level HVAC semester as an on-line which will get you the G3 license. After that it's all in-class.

try himark...

https://www.himark.ca/

It's about who you know. If you don't know anyone it's going to be tough.

Pre-apprenticeship courses are pretty much useless in electrical because 353 has its own pre apprenticeship on top of the 5 year apprenticeship (only 6 year apprenticeship trade), and you would learn the same if not more than what's in a program (Can't speak for pre app programs on other trades). Very few apprentices who I've met have taken a pre app course and has gotten in to the union.

If you know nobody, sure try to get your foot in the door as a worker. But watch what company your going into. Lots of guys do this and end up getting treated like ****, hate it, and quit.

Taking and completing a multi year pre apprenticeship course shows a prospective employer that you aren't a flake who decided that morning to become an electrician by throwing a dart at a dartboard. That gives you an edge over a walk-in but not necessarily over someone with connections.

Are you getting sufficient bang for your buck by taking the course?

Taking and completing a multi year pre apprenticeship course shows a prospective employer that you aren't a flake who decided that morning to become an electrician by throwing a dart at a dartboard. That gives you an edge over a walk-in but not necessarily over someone with connections.

Are you getting sufficient bang for your buck by taking the course?

If your young out of highschool with no connections, sure it could be worth it. Already having a degree, in a different field and are in your late 20's early 30's, personally I don't think its worth the money or time. It is also financially difficult for some.

If you spent tens and thousands of dollars on a degree and then jump ship to a trade, it will show the employer your serious and are in it for the long haul. It shows you have commitment, confidence and drive to become successful in the trade. Of course having a pre app course will better your odds, by how much, I don't know. Speaking about LU 353, the pre apprenticeship is a probationary period, so I think they are more lenient in hiring people who jump ship like that. Quite a few older apprentices I've met have degree's and were able to get in relatively easily

Its funny, trades have some of the most in demand jobs right now, but those jobs are some of the hardest to get into

Hey OP, sounds awfully similar to the situation I was in at your age. Now 36 years old. I too went the University route, but unlike you I never finished, did 3 years and bailed. I really wanted to use both my brains and my hands. That is what I enjoyed more than slugging it in the university game.

I dropped out at 21 I believe, worked for a few years with a hardware company. You would think it would have been easy to get into a trade at that time, mid 2000s, but it was not. It was funny because working with the hardware company I was on jobsites everyday with framers, plumbers and electricians. I struggled to find anybody that would hire me as an electrical apprentice. I had a friend working in a residential union company, and I called the owner weekly for years and still could not get hired. Finally I went to the annual electrical union intake. Wrote the test, passed with flying colours. Unfortunately I screwed up the interview lol.
Anyway back to square one, I called multiple companies weekly, both union and non union, and was still shut down multiple times. All I did was think to myself, if there is such a shortage of skilled trades its been awfully tough to get in. My father knew a friend who had a friend that managed a non union electrical company and that is where I caught my break so to say. Nevertheless I still had to call everyday for months busting chops just to get a chance. Finally I did. I guess I made a good impression the first day as all the guys there told me "you are the first new person to get hired that actually showed up with a tool bag and all the proper tools".

I worked very hard for the first few years and being non union the pay wasn't good. I took a huge pay cut to start fresh as an apprentice. I was actually just considered a labourer at the time as the first 2 years I was not registered as an apprentice. Either way I stuck it out, worked my butt off, did my schooling (3 times you go to school over the 5/6 year period) and did very well in my schooling (top grades at Humber in final year).

A hard work ethic and studying hard will get you very far. I worked so hard for my license that in 2009 I needed a back surgery lol. Since then, I have changed from commercial/industrial electrician to more the maintenance side of things because of the surgery, to slow down a bit on the heavy stuff. Now, I only handle 1 major building for the government of Ontario as a non union government employee. I used my skills and knowledge to land that job, and because electrical is so vast of a field, there are many avenues to take after you are licensed.

Any of the trades mentioned above are great. But its going to take major work on your part. Also, you are NEVER too old to start something new. I always thought I was old at 26yrs doing my first term of electrical school, but to my surprise there were a couple of older dudes in there too. The great part of the trade is everyday you are learning. Even now, being licensed you learn new things, both from on the job troubleshooting, to others teaching you things, or by simply reading and keeping up to date.

You will definitely make more money in the unions, but at first you must take anything you can get even non union. I have worked with Toromontcat employees on big generator jobs for Telus and those guys know there stuff ie controls and PLCs. That is not a bad avenue to take. Also working with Eaton electrical contractors on complicated transfer switches, those know there stuff too and are highly trained on working safely on high voltage equipment. You learn new things from others all the time. Its very rewarding when people both at work, and friends/family rely on you for your information and skill set. Much better than pushing papers in my opinion.

Just keep your head up and do it, you are never too old, just be passionate about your field, learn as much as you can and great things will happen to you. Just don't be one of those apprentices that stare at the floor while your journeyman is on the ladder doing work and waiting for the next tool to be handed to him lol.
Good luck

Last edited:
Sub'd
I was recently thinking about making the same career move.

Thanks everyone for the great replies! I'm really appreciative of the insider input I'm getting.

I do enjoy the idea of mechanics, and am going to look more into the Heavy Equipment Mechanic trade. Seems like something I'd enjoy and would love the variety of different equipment, travelling potential, decent income, etc.

I'm going to look into whether my taking a program for it at Centennial would land me a job out of school, or whether applying direct to CAT or another outfit would be the route to go.

Lastly, for union apprenctice intake seems I'd need a high school physics credit, and possibly chemistry (for HVAC) to be fully eligible for their respective apprenticeship programs. This is something I may be doing shortly to upgrade my skills a bit.

Please keep on replying and keep the information flowing!

Again, I appreciate the personal experiences, and the motivation that this seems like the right route for me to go down.

Will try my best to keep you guys posted on how things turn out.

Cheers!

for the HD trade, best school in Ontario is Sir Sandford Fleming, but who wants to go to Lyndsay?
Centennial course at Ashtonbee campus is also good, I went through there in the 80's and it served me well,
strangely enough, I'm being recruited now for a teaching position back at Centennial, 30 years later,
would love the job but the mining pay cheques are hard to give up

I was at a Saturday BBQ a few years ago with a heavy equipment mechanic buddy. He got crushed to death Monday AM.

He was a husky guy with a get it done attitude working for a high risk company. Sometimes the safest thing one can do is say no to the boss.

Have the journeyman / apprentice ratios changed recently for electrical? I heard it was going to 1:1 so fewer apprentices? Not sure how that plays out for newbies.

sorry to hear about your friend, that sucks bro

Back
Top Bottom