Tips for getting into Trades | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tips for getting into Trades

have you considered the heavy equipment technician route?
it is hard work, but heavily in demand and the pay is much higher than working on motorcycles
the Cat dealer in Ontario - Toromont, is always hiring and signing up apprentices,
they really like University educated candidates and may look at you for another role as well

I went this route on a whim 30 years ago as I liked messing with bikes, has served me very well
after attaining red seal journeyman status I had excellent mobility and have worked all over Canada,
in Africa, Afghanistan and currently in KSA

this i can agree with, i'm also a red seal journeyman in heavy equipment i work with a hugh construction company, toromount fixes some of our stuff under warranty, great bunch of guys.

also it is hard work and some stress as most of the equipment you work on don't make money setting broke down.

detourlake is looking for new hires. if you can fix the yellow stuff you have a life time career

Last edited:
I work for Toromont Cat as a Technician. If anyone has questions about the trade, feel free to PM me.

when Sheridan had a heavy equipment mechanics course, my dad worked there for 20yrs. His take was lots of grads could fix a machine sitting in a heated bay, 10,000 pc part room beside them and every tool invented, and 5 lifetime diesel guys to ask for opinion. The guys that made really good coin and never saw a layoff was the guy that could fly into butthole wisconson and put a machine back in order.
I went into the trades right out of high school, did 10yrs and do not regret a minute. I got the opportunity to make a lot more money and not get dirty so i took it, but the things I learned in the trades have also been a benefit.

when Sheridan had a heavy equipment mechanics course, my dad worked there for 20yrs. His take was lots of grads could fix a machine sitting in a heated bay, 10,000 pc part room beside them and every tool invented, and 5 lifetime diesel guys to ask for opinion. The guys that made really good coin and never saw a layoff was the guy that could fly into butthole wisconson and put a machine back in order.
I went into the trades right out of high school, did 10yrs and do not regret a minute. I got the opportunity to make a lot more money and not get dirty so i took it, but the things I learned in the trades have also been a benefit.

All people are equal. Please get with program.

If I was looking for a trade, I would look hard at being a taper. You can get all the tools you need for <$500 and they all fit in a bucket. You make a decent amount of money (to a ridiculous amount of money if you teach yourself plaster crown moulding or invest in more tools and go piecework). You are working indoors in reasonably climate controlled spaces. It's easy to pick up cash jobs on the weekend. Sure, it's kind of boring, but IMO the benefits outweigh this, just zone out and put in your time each day then go home and enjoy life.

It's interesting to see all the people positive about heavy equipment mech in here. The investment in tools is huge ($10K+), and when I spoke with mechanics at Toromont before, tool shrinkage was a major problem (most assumed that they would lose thousands worth of tools each year). Maybe the culture has cleaned up so they don't steal from each other (Toromont is a good company, but it takes a real dick to steal from their coworkers).

Taper is very hard work and people laugh behind your back. Tools in a bucket, now there's a rallying cry.

If I was looking for a trade, I would look hard at being a taper. You can get all the tools you need for <$500 and they all fit in a bucket. You make a decent amount of money (to a ridiculous amount of money if you teach yourself plaster crown moulding or invest in more tools and go piecework). You are working indoors in reasonably climate controlled spaces. It's easy to pick up cash jobs on the weekend. Sure, it's kind of boring, but IMO the benefits outweigh this, just zone out and put in your time each day then go home and enjoy life.

It's interesting to see all the people positive about heavy equipment mech in here. The investment in tools is huge ($10K+), and when I spoke with mechanics at Toromont before, tool shrinkage was a major problem (most assumed that they would lose thousands worth of tools each year). Maybe the culture has cleaned up so they don't steal from each other (Toromont is a good company, but it takes a real dick to steal from their coworkers).

Better yet become a unionized labourer and make $35/hr++ pushing a broom. Don't even have to carry a bucket of tools. You can also learn Portuguese or Italian very quickly, your pick

Framing is a trade that really needs no certification... in Ontario at least and pays extremely well after 2 to 3 years. Learn the trade in 2 to 3 years working for someone else the after you gain experience open your own company ....hire employees off you go. Frame 1 house a month pays 25k and two fast guys can frame in house in 2 1/2 weeks making killer money.
Union with full benefits and pension and 10% vac pay

Ah to be young and do it all over again....I'd join the trades for sure....at this stage (37 w/ 1 lil one here) it's too much of a pay drop to start over unfortunately :(

Good luck OP! I will definitely support my son on whether he goes towards trades or uni/college. (Just hoping it's science/math/IT)

A few options:

-Head over to College and do a two year technician diploma in the area you have the most interest in (for example electrical), this will more likely lead to a commercial trade (industrial electrician as an example). Normally I would say do the technology diploma (three year) but you have a degree.
-Apply as a labourer in construction bust your *** and make some contacts.

While nepotism is an issue there is also a lot of risk in just hiring someone as an apprentice with no documented background, or skills. The person could be a complete waste of time. There is also a risk that they just don't want to "work". Knowing someone who knows someone can reduce these risks to the employer (not always though).

OP - I've been managing construction projects for the past 10 years, and get to interact with all the trades involved in getting a building out of the ground from start to finish, and if I had to do it over again i'd most likely try and get a job as an elevator tech / installer as they seem to be the most satisfied of the bunch, work is fairly clean and easy (no long term damage to body) pay is great and once you are in the demand is high bust your *** for a little while and look to move into the adjuster position, thats the guy that shows up with a laptop and an assistant that caries his tools at the end of the job, and programs the elevator, and conducts the final inspection with the TSSA.
2nd choice would be either an electrician or a gas fitter or hvac controls tech, also clean work that isn't very hard on your body that pays well and in high demand.

a lot of whats been mentioned above are great trades but are hard on your body, and not many people get to do them into their 50s due to body parts and joints giving out on them.

There is a reason some of these "easy" jobs pay well, and its usually because they suck and no one wants to do them for 30 years, the novelty of $35/hr wears off after a little while and you get to see the job for what it is...........choose wisely

Not a tradesperson but lift tech did seem like a good way to go. Used to be if you could get in the TTC's crack team of fast moving escalator technicians, you would wind up with a license good for elevators too. I hear that's not the case anymore

Back
Top Bottom