Sturgis 2017 , Roll Call | GTAMotorcycle.com

Sturgis 2017 , Roll Call

Going this year for bike week - we are going to meet up in Sarnia Friday night and to get an early start across the border Saturday morning and are staying at the Buffalo Chip for the week of the 7th. We are also taking the Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday after bike week so we can drop south and come back via Colorado through the Rockies - Trail Ridge Road and Peak to Peak highway. We both have to be back at work on the following Thursday. If you are interested in joining up for all or part of the ride you can post or PM me and I'll give you more details re itinerary.

Last edited:
Going this year for bike week - we are going to meet up in Sarnia Friday night and to get an early start across the border Saturday morning and are staying at the Buffalo Chip for the week of the 7th. We are also taking the Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday after bike week so we can drop south and come back via Colorado through the Rockies - Trail Ridge Road and Peak to Peak highway. We both have to be back at work on the following Thursday. If you are interested in joining up for all or part of the ride you can post or PM me and I'll give you more details re itinerary.
Msg sent

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

I have copied below my itinerary from my Meet-up Group posting - trip up is already set in terms of going out - the other rider also has made reservations - coming back is still in the planning stage and since we both are experienced long distance tourers who have made trips out west solo - we are winging it a bit - but my plan is still to head a little further southwest and come back via a couple of my favourite routes through the Rockies.

"I've been a little late on posting details - still fine tuning a little bit. I am reserved for the Buffalo Chip for August 7th through 12th - scheduled departure date is August 5th from SARNIA. I have to work the Friday - August 4th but am heading off to Sarnia after work and staying at East Court Motel to make an early start Saturday morning. As it is the civic long weekend, I am anticipating border will be busy (I have Nexus). Saturday will be a pretty long day (just over 900 kms) with my next reservation set for Super 8 in Tomah, Wisconsin. Though I would have liked to camp, since I a camping at the Chip, I kept finding campgrounds had 2 night minimum stays for that weekend. Sunday night I am booked at Baymont Inn & Suites in Pierre, SD. Sometime during that day I a hopeful to get off I-90 and explore a little - maybe follow the Missouri up to Pierre.

From Pierre to Sturgis is not far - so that leaves some time maybe to relax and see some of the city attractions. From Pierre my plan is to head further north and explore some of the scenic byways and eventually to head southwest on SD 34 - which is a much easier way to take to the Chip than crawling through Sturgis on I-90. Though it sounds like a lot of travelling - I a allowing for a fairly early arrival at the campground to set up and relax - eta around 4:00 p.m. or so.
Options are to join along for the ride - meet up en route - or just get together at Sturgis - I've already done the trip on my own so I'm easy :)"

I would be interested in tagging along , meet in Tomah as I am planning on travelling across the upper peninsula michigan. The back routes west of Pierre are an interesting ride, I have taken a few of those hwys and every trip has been a good ride. The detour through Colorado sounds ok too.

Beastie are you camping at the Buffalo chip for the whole stay?

This is going to be my first trip so I have a bunch of "dummy" questions. Can I msg you and pick your brain ?

I am camping at the Buffalo Chip for bike week - my travelling companion is also booked there for the week and right now its just us. We will be meeting up the second weekend of July to iron out some fine details. I am good with other riders joining up for either part or all of trip - whatever works - or just texting to meet up at Sturgis - its all good :)

Ok since this is my first real long distance trip. I am planning 600 km per day which would get me there is 4 days. And I planning on camping 4-5 days and then heading back.... Is it a good idea to book the camp site now ? Also how the heck do you pack your tent on your bike

I am still a go for this - though my group is now down to me and one other rider :) At least as at this posting - could end up me, myself and I - which doesn't bother me a bit. I'm still not sure what route I want to take back - as much as I love Trail Ridge Road and then the Peak-to-Peak to Golden, its crazy busy with tourists this time of year. I am thinking of starting back on the Saturday so that I can re-ride the Flaming Gorge Scenic By-way from Green River, WY to Vernal, Ut - its just such a perfect combination of incredible scenery and great riding.

Ok since this is my first real long distance trip. I am planning 600 km per day which would get me there is 4 days. And I planning on camping 4-5 days and then heading back.... Is it a good idea to book the camp site now ? Also how the heck do you pack your tent on your bike

Sorry I missed this post - if you check under the Cruising/Touring section there are some good tips on motorcycle camping. I just put a carrier rack on my bike this year - before I just bungeed the tent to the passenger seat. The rack is going to make a big difference. I bring a soft sided cooler which I actually fill with drinks, sandwiches, salad and put on the back seat - I don't eat fast food and it saves me time to just be able to pull over in a park or rest area and have food and water available. I don't want to spend a day on restaurant food what I can buy at a grocery store for a week. Because I ride in my full riding suit for long distances, I save space on packing clothes - bike shorts underneath the pants can be hand washed and hung up to dry overnight - one pair of jeans, light shorts and tanks and T's - nobody cares what you are wearing - save your space for other things. You won't be far from civilization so a credit card can solve a lot of problems - but why do more hassle than you have to? Spare fuses, light bulbs, duct tape, cold weld, plastic repair, electrical tape, plastic zip ties - light, cheap, don't take up much room and can save an enormous amount of hassle if something happens going down the road. Last year my bike got blown over on Pikes Peak Highway - smashed the plastic on a turn signal. Not an expensive replacement but an easy repair with what I had with me. Bring your tools - surprising how many people don't. I have a chain drive so I need to bring chain lube as well. For camping gear - its colder than you think at night in South Dakota - I brought my mummy down filled sleeping bag. Ear plugs if you actually want to get some sleep - lol. I pack an air mattress and battery operated air pump - it doesn't take up much more room than one of those self-inflatable flat mats or a foam roll and I want a good nights sleep.

Did you end up goin? I went. What an adventure. I stayed at the buffalo chip

Hi, i'm a new member here and want to do Sturgis. Have you any tips regarding roads to take places to stay on the road etc.? Thanks...roadie.

Back
Top Bottom