OPP now using GPS Darts for fleeing vehicles | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

OPP now using GPS Darts for fleeing vehicles

They have to catch up to person speeding away thus a chase of some sort needs to happen right?

Oh, yeah, for sure. Let me correct myself then.

PrivatePilot said:
Yeah, prolonged high speed chases are such a better idea when the potential for eliminating them or only needing to pursue for 10 or 15 seconds before breaking off exists.

:rolleyes:

Step 1 - Lose cops
Step 2 - Pull into grocery store and stick to inside of the bumper on a minivan
Step 3 - Park a block or two away and wait

And this is popping out of an opening in the grille with no aiming and it is hardly well shaped as a projectile. It quite literally is only slightly more energetic than a Nerf gun. Unless the cop is directly behind in traffic and quite close, it isn't even going to get to the back of a car in front of the cop at a normal following distance.

Meh. Expensive toy.

Sounds like something out of "Mission Impossible" where everybody follows an exact pattern. Laws will be passed that all drivers must have clean derrieres on their cars so the adhesive will stick. Aiming will be by mind control and the speeding vehicle followed by remote control drones.

The darts MIGHT work sometimes if the cars have two man teams. A car chase is totally different than a WWII dogfight. Budget for second person???

Marijuana has been inhaled at some point in this endeavor.

These were NEVER intended to be used on motorcycles. The inherent danger of hitting the rider is too great. Secondly, they are tracking it in real time from the comms center. They will be able to see that the vehicle stopped say in a parking lot. If the item is then transferred to another vehicle, they would see that the dart stopped moving. The officer would have made note of the vehicle targeted.. so if it was a sedan and the dart is now stuck to the rear of a minivan obviously, they would realize it had been transferred.

Lastly, the pursuit vehicle will still be following the general direction of the vehicle. It isn't like they shoot the vehicle then break off the pursuit and go for their lunch break before resuming looking for the vehicle. So the perp, won't have 10 minutes to stop to transfer, the dart and casually drive away..lol

It is simply a trial project to see if it will be an effective tool. As the report said the initial test will only involve 3 cruisers for the entire province. The likelihood is one will be in GTA, one near Ottawa, and third perhaps along the 400, north of GTA

Changing vehicles is not really a viable option.
Cop cars have dash cams. They would obviously have a shot of the car make / model / and license plate.
Even if you ditched the dart they are still going to have a viable means to track down the offender.

I can see these working and being effective in a situation where the police are about to pull over a suspect or someone with a warrant and a history of running before the cops flick on the lights BUT if a pursuit is already under way, well good luck.

If if I was running (I won't) I would be much more concerned about the cops radioing ahead or a helicopter/plane.

Back
Top Bottom