OPP now using GPS Darts for fleeing vehicles | GTAMotorcycle.com

OPP now using GPS Darts for fleeing vehicles

what about a Vette made of fibreglass?

Adhesive as well as magnetic. Given the amount of plastic on most vehicles relying on magnets alone was clearly not going to be enough.

Glue based. Hot glue, since it needs to be heated up. Good luck catching a bike though...too small a target to tag. Plus they have to get directly behind the vehicle.

Some of the stories said something about aiming capabilities, but not sure what the capabilities of that are. I do agree that a bike is a harder target, but I suppose a dart with a net style design (that just entangles itself in signals and bodywork etc) would fit the bill.

Having watched the video, I don't think this is going to work on motorcycles. It needs to stick to a roughly-flat/vertical surface. If fired at a bike, it may hit the tire (which obviously won't work), or it may hit the rider's clothing (easy to ditch - although if push came to shove, it may have the rider's DNA on it). The license plate or the back of the bodywork are really small targets.

Besides, I am quite sure anyone who gets this stuck to their vehicle just needs to find a place to stop, yank the thing off and toss it, then disappear.

If the cop is close enough to make this stick, they're close enough to read a license plate.

It will work in some situations ... but not all of them.

Besides, I am quite sure anyone who gets this stuck to their vehicle just needs to find a place to stop, yank the thing off and toss it, then disappear.

That assumes they know it's there to begin with before they roll into their chosen hiding spot and leave a nice breadcrumb right to themselves.

Obviously it's more aimed at fleeing cars vs bikes, but I think it's safe to assume that in the case of a bike that flees the officer would probably give it a shot regardless. Worst case they miss, best case, well....

It's certainly not an ultimate solution, but it's another tool in the box I guess.

Cops can barely barely hit a barn door as it is. Cool tech, but tagging a bike? Unlikely.

This looks like a minimum 3K item per car plus training . I`m sure a few will be rolled out . But I doubt every car will have one .

Great NERF for OPP....:rolleyes:

[FONT=&quot]Never modify any NERF blasters or other NERF products. Use only the darts, discs, rounds and water designed for specific NERF blasters.[/FONT]

Cops can barely barely hit a barn door as it is. Cool tech, but tagging a bike? Unlikely.

And this is popping out of an opening in the grille with no aiming and it is hardly well shaped as a projectile. It quite literally is only slightly more energetic than a Nerf gun. Unless the cop is directly behind in traffic and quite close, it isn't even going to get to the back of a car in front of the cop at a normal following distance.

Meh. Expensive toy.

Wow, they really can't find enough stupid crap to waste money on. Great, they can tag a car if it's 15' in front of them. Not exactly subtle though, won't be hard to find on the vehicle given it's almost the size of a pop can, and the driver WILL know that something hit their car so once the cops are lost, pull over, pull off, stick to underside of parked car, drive away.

Meh, if one hits my car, it'll fall off with that part of the car; probably the same for inreb's bike.

Meh, if one hits my car, it'll fall off with that part of the car; probably the same for inreb's bike.

LOL.

As for the distance and aiming capabilities, it was vague...but I did see reference to them being aimable.

Glue based. Hot glue, since it needs to be heated up. Good luck catching a bike though...too small a target to tag. Plus they have to get directly behind the vehicle.

Having watched the video, I don't think this is going to work on motorcycles. It needs to stick to a roughly-flat/vertical surface. If fired at a bike, it may hit the tire (which obviously won't work), or it may hit the rider's clothing (easy to ditch - although if push came to shove, it may have the rider's DNA on it). The license plate or the back of the bodywork are really small targets.

If the cop is close enough to make this stick, they're close enough to read a license plate.

It will work in some situations ... but not all of them.

this.

I saw an interview of a cop telling all, saying they actually relish a good chase, to add to their otherwise abysmally boring days.

I can see this working with cars. Just be in the same part of the lane as the car you're chasing.
Sounds a bit iffy for motorcycles as there is much less of a target to hit.
It is certainly better than the current system which basically consists of the driver and the cop putting their lives at risk until one of them crashes.
Usually taking an innocent bystander or two with them.

Don't think they can target a bike. Biggest target is the rider's back. ...'cept the big rigs, those might have a chance of hitting the top case or bags.

Its just a excuse for cops to play with electronics during a chase. Way to much of taking the eyes off the road fiddling with that toy.

Its just a excuse for cops to play with electronics during a chase. Way to much of taking the eyes off the road fiddling with that toy.

Yeah, high speed chases are such a better idea when the potential for eliminating the need for such exists.

Back
Top Bottom