Red light camera | GTAMotorcycle.com

Red light camera

Ghostrider619

I was passing through an intersection and it turned red when i was in the middle of the intersection. I saw 2 flashes coming from the opposite front LEFT of the intersection. I am not sure if there was a camera on my rear right side of the intersection since i was just focused on those flashes. Do red light cameras in Ontario take pictures from front, the rear or both direction in an intersection ?

I am also not sure if that flash was for cars taking left turns from opposite side of the intersection.

They take photos from both front and rear, showing the red light and car plate, as well as a pic of the driver's face. The photos, unfortunately, are pretty clear.

Last edited:
They take photos from both front and rear, showing the red light and car plate, as well as a pic of the driver's face. The photos, unfortunately, are pretty clear.

^^^^THIS

But its just a $320 fine. No points. Also no way to fight it

Sure about that?

All the red-light camera installations that I've seen in Ontario:
- Only monitor traffic on one approach direction to an intersection (despite having signs present in all directions).
- Only have a camera and flash unit on that one approach direction.
- Only take photos from the rear of the vehicle (which show the traffic signal and the vehicle in question before it enters the intersection and then another photo with the vehicle in the intersection - thus illustrating that the vehicle entered the intersection while the light was red).

It isn't necessary to show the driver's face because the ticket goes to whoever owns that vehicle's license plate and it's just $, it doesn't go on anyone's driving record (because it can't be proven who was driving).

The original poster should be in the clear if the situation is as it was described:
- camera and flash would have been facing the other direction (for someone else going the other direction).
- if the light turned red while you were in the middle of the intersection, the photos can't prove that you entered the intersection on the red.

The photos that these units take, make it pretty hard to refute what happened. In some jurisdictions, people have fought these tickets on the grounds that the duration of the yellow light was not appropriate for the traffic circumstances at the intersection. It's not uncommon for organizations operating these cameras to inappropriately shorten yellow light durations in order to increase ticket revenue. Some of these camera installations trip inappropriately when someone makes a right turn on red at the intersection, but generally that's clear from the photos, and those situations typically get tossed without a ticket being issued. 'Course, if you make a right turn at a red light without stopping (which happens a lot), then that ticket is well deserved ...

I was passing through an intersection and it turned red when i was in the middle of the intersection. I saw 2 flashes coming from the opposite front LEFT of the intersection. I am not sure if there was a camera on my rear right side of the intersection since i was just focused on those flashes. Do red light cameras in Ontario take pictures from front, the rear or both direction in an intersection ?

I am also not sure if that flash was for cars taking left turns from opposite side of the intersection.

If the flash came from front left of where you were when you were turning, it was for someone else, someone else made a left turn from the opposite direction. If you were on a bike, you don't have front licence plate anyways, so who cares.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have seen the pictures or guessing? Are you sure they capture the front? I only saw rear.

It seems like taking pictures with flash from front would be dangerous for the driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also thought they only took picture from the rear, the red light cameras i have noticed dont have cameras on each side of the intersection, just a single camera facing one direction.

If you were in the intersection when the light turned red you are fine. If you pass the stop line at the intersection when the light turns red you are getting a ticket.

In 2-3 weeks you will know if it was for you.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Sure about that?...

You have seen the pictures or guessing?...

Unfortunately for me, I'd like to say I was lieing. 'Twas dark, 23:00, and not another vehicle in sight. The front flash is quite bright and did blind me for a bit. Gave the kids a laugh when the ticket and photos arrived via post. While the head shot is not used for court it worked well for psychological torture. I have a ~$350 deficit in my wallet.

Where was the intersection?

There is a freshly installed red-light camera near my house at an intersection that I go through almost every day ... and the hardware only exists facing eastbound.

edit: This is typically what the ticket looks like (not mine, image grabbed from the internet but they all pretty much look the same)

redlightcamera.jpg

Last edited:
At least 10 locations in Hamilton, all of which only take pictures from the rear.

I'm not really sure what to say. The cameras near me are on metal posts. I could recognize myself in the camera photo, as did my kids. I don't know where the MOT letter is, so can't confirm.

http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/c...nnel=17324074781e1410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD

City of Toronto said:
Who supplies the cameras? How big are the cameras? What is their location relative to the intersection?
AThe system supplier is Traffipax. The camera is an industrial 35-mm camera, manufactured particularly for unattended operation in an outdoor environment. The cameras are housed in a ½ metre x ½ metre x ½ metre enclosure and are mounted on a pole, 20 metres in advance of the intersection. They are mounted approximately 3.6 metres above the ground.

<tbody>
</tbody>

It is my mistake. Only a rear facing camera.

Last edited:
It's going on four months Toronto Boy.
Did you get a ticket for it?
This I submit would answer the questions.

It's going on four months Toronto Boy.
Did you get a ticket for it?
This I submit would answer the questions.

Sorry to be late. I certainly did get a $330 ticket for it. My wallet is much lighter. On the bright side the family has yet another example of my stupidity, though there is no shortage there.

Back
Top Bottom