Chatty driver; weird experience | GTAMotorcycle.com

Chatty driver; weird experience

TTS

I was riding home from work a couple days ago. While stopped at a traffic light, a car stops beside me. The driver rolls down his window and starts talking to me rather enthusiastically.
I wear earplugs while riding so I couldn't get the entire message, but the gist of it was "...lane position blah blah, did you take a motorcycle safety course blah blah.". I just nodded and waved and tried to ignore him. He went on ahead so I thought that was the end of it.
Maybe five intersections later, while I was stopped in the right-hand lane, the guy drives on the shoulder to pass a few cars and stops beside me, and he is continuing to talk to me about...??? Again I try to ignore him.
Next intersection, he's in the right turn lane and I'm in the left turn lane. From two lanes away, he's still trying to talk to me. He turns right and I go left, and that was hopefully the last I'll see of him.

Anybody had experience with drivers trying to hold a lengthy conversation? Or worse, trying to give riding lessons from the safety of their car?

I was riding home from work a couple days ago. While stopped at a traffic light, a car stops beside me. The driver rolls down his window and starts talking to me rather enthusiastically.
I wear earplugs while riding so I couldn't get the entire message, but the gist of it was "...lane position blah blah, did you take a motorcycle safety course blah blah.". I just nodded and waved and tried to ignore him. He went on ahead so I thought that was the end of it.
Maybe five intersections later, while I was stopped in the right-hand lane, the guy drives on the shoulder to pass a few cars and stops beside me, and he is continuing to talk to me about...??? Again I try to ignore him.
Next intersection, he's in the right turn lane and I'm in the left turn lane. From two lanes away, he's still trying to talk to me. He turns right and I go left, and that was hopefully the last I'll see of him.

Anybody had experience with drivers trying to hold a lengthy conversation? Or worse, trying to give riding lessons from the safety of their car?

Never had a stranger telling me how to ride, but have had people that stop for a chat about once every one or two months at a light. Usually depends if I make eye-contact with the person.

A bit weird that he'd ride up the shoulder trying to talk to you... Perhaps he was trying to get your #?

When on the road, or at a light - people smiling, talking, thumbs up, inquiring about if i ride in a group with friends is pretty common and usual for me. No one giving riding lessons ever, that is not normal :)...
However, people (random strangers when walking with helmet in hand, or at restaurants/shops etc) telling me to ride carefully and safe, and talking about horrific accidents is also pretty common for me. Used to bug me just a bit initially, but now i just smile and nod - pretty inured to it now.

Last edited:
I had an enthusiastic gentleman pull in behind me at a gas station near Mosport on a race weekend. He was clearly a fan(not of me). He insisted my bike wobbled a bit here and there and as such was concerned about my safety. I knew what he was talking about because I had raised the rear about an inch or so and dropped the forks to reduce rake and trail. I admitted to none of this and played dumb and dumber. Eventually he walked back to his car and waiting wife all the while shaking his head. I can see why we get a bad rap.

How do you describe your riding in contrast to what he was telling you?

I get the occasional curious question. Mainly middle-aged men driving minivans. I do keep a small bottle of Veuve Clicquot in the trunk on the off chance that a sexy chick winks at me.

Had a guy yell at me from his 2nd storey Bedroom window for letting my bike idle to warm up a little while I put my gloves on, he used some vulgar language :confused:

aside from that, another asked to ride my bike while I was fueling, I jokingly asked if he even had a license, said he didn't need one... rode of :lmao:

and like budwizest, lots of stories of people who know people who've died riding etc... Otherwise, no convos while on the move in traffic. At that point, just smile and wave boys.

madagascar-penguin-smile-and-wave-boys-just-smile-and-wave.jpg

I was just passing Port Perry on 7A when some goof squeezes up the shoulder past about 5 cars (missing each by inches) at a light to see what Harley I'm riding. Pulls right next to me, like a foot from me, window down, and proceeds to ask me all kinds of questions. "Nice bike, what kind is that? Softail? What year is that...blah, blah, blah. Pretty annoying. I had earplugs in too, couldn't hear much. I said "Buy one, you won't regret it. But if you ride like you drive, you won't live long..." Some people just get a little too enthusiastic.

Had a guy yell at me from his 2nd storey Bedroom window for letting my bike idle to warm up a little while I put my gloves on, he used some vulgar language :confused:

aside from that, another asked to ride my bike while I was fueling, I jokingly asked if he even had a license, said he didn't need one... rode of :lmao:

and like budwizest, lots of stories of people who know people who've died riding etc... Otherwise, no convos while on the move in traffic. At that point, just smile and wave boys.

View attachment 38807

I had a guy yell at me from his bedroom window at 8 o'clock on a saturday morning...we were push starting my 250 rotax CAN AM down the street.
He was right, I was young. I made no eye contact lol

I've had several drivers yell out their windows that one of my lights is out (it's not, one light is the high beam and one is the regular beam).

Had quite a few people say 'nice bike' from their cars, with a couple of them wanting more details. That's about it.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Back in the day when I rode the fastest production motorcycle on the planet people would ask me to gun it off the lights. Anything for a cheap thrill I guess.

Frequently get a wave or ? from kids.
Sometimes guys will comment.
Longest convo I had at a set of lights with a guy in a Porsche. He complimented me matching my shirt to my bike. Then he said something about Boston Pizza....lol

Favourite time was when 2 hillbillies in a ratted pick up truck yelled out "nice purple bike fa**ot!" then squealed the tires taking off. I laughed it off.They were promptly lit up by the cop behind them.

But OP, that dude sounds like a whacko.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

"Keep your visor down and never make eye contact." Haha ^ Was thinking the same. Never happens to me because i'm not looking around to see who's looking at me, just that traffic is safely stopped behind me..

If i'm in my car and a squid rolls up beside me revving his engine trying for attention i'll usually just ask if it's going to stall.. People are way more chatty these days though, prescriptions maybe? :p

I think he wanted your number.

Last edited:
Favourite time was when 2 hillbillies in a ratted pick up truck yelled out "nice purple bike fa**ot!" then squealed the tires taking off. I laughed it off.They were promptly lit up by the cop behind them.

Strange, considering hillbillies aren't known to be that picky about partners. Also, your best chance for a slow dance in the 80s was waiting for the DJ to spin Purple Rain. Seriously, that song had a 100% success rate.

Strange, considering hillbillies aren't known to be that picky about partners. Also, your best chance for a slow dance in the 80s was waiting for the DJ to spin Purple Rain. Seriously, that song had a 100% success rate.
Lolz
I sometimes wonder if you and @inreb are one and the same

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

Back
Top Bottom