Buell Blast...not starting after new battery and fresh gas... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buell Blast...not starting after new battery and fresh gas...

V

verity

Well, this is my first official post asking for technical help.....

Help!

My Buell Blast hadn't been ridden but I did take care to winterize her.

When I finally tried to start her, she would start for a short bit then stop. With a little help I discovered it was the battery and went ahead and replaced it.

Now the battery is healthy but she just won't start.

What else should I have done? I must have missed something....

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much....

How old is the gas. How long since it was last running well?

If I have this right, you tried to get it running recently and it would run for a short period of time then die and you determined this was the battery? How did you come up with that diagnosis?

Now it won't start at all (I am assuming it cranks quickly as the battery is new, but it just never fires).

My money is on a fuel problem.

EDIT: I see in the subject you say fresh gas. Was it stored empty, full or partly full? My money is still on a fueling problem.

Last edited:
Apparently these things eat carb boots? If it was bad enough that could do it

Did you store it with empty tank? If so you will need to put the petcock to on position get some gas in the carbs

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Kill switch?

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Lol if we don't hear back from him..... It was the kill switch ??

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Hello all...in the fall I did add the fuell stabilizer but I may not have run it long enough to have it mix thoroughly...

So this is where I am: I replaced the fuel, changed the spark plug and tried to run it again. Nothing.

I understand that the next logical step is to clear the carburetor. I read something about Seafoam and reviewed a few posts.

Has anyone succesfully added the Seafoam to their fuel and had it solve their problem? My understanding is that this method works for bikes turning over; does the same hold true for one that simply won't start? (Battery is fine, electrical all fine...)

Suggestions?

Thank you.

When you replaced the fuel, did you drain the fuel bowl on the carb?

Seafoam needs to be introduced into a running motor.

Is your kick stand switch working, or your clutch safety switch?

Seafoam needs to be introduced into a running motor.

Is your kick stand switch working, or your clutch safety switch?

To the best of my knowledge, all of my electrical functions are working fine. (She is a Buell Blast, factory setup, no modifications...)

I think the blast is small enough you could start it on propane to get it going. That's what I normally do to get stubborn engines running under their own power. Do not attempt this unless you understand what is going on, you don't want you to cause a fire. I have done this many times with no problems.

before a) move the bike to a well ventilated area with a nearby fire extinguisher
a) get a propane torch (or two, I would start with 1 for a blast) with attached propane cylinder(s)
b) open the airbox and remove the air filter
c) put the torches in the airbox (preferably as close as possible to the carb, i normally put them in the throat). The torches are not lit and the gas is off (this is important).
d) get the bike ready to start (neutral, kill switch on, key on, etc). Plan a direction to safely throw a flaming torch if things go horribly wrong.
e) turn on the torches (do not light them, just gas on full flow) and immediately crank the engine. If the bike doesn't catch in 5 seconds or so, stop cranking and turn off the propane. wait a few minutes for gas to dissipate before trying again. If the bike starts, leave it running on the propane for a minute or so to get the engine warmed up and draw the crappy fuel out of the carb. Turn the torches off and remove them, hopefully the bike keeps running on gasoline (if not, repeat with the propane, if it runs fine on propane and won't run on gasoline you have narrowed yourself down to a fueling problem likely related to a plugged carb).

Again, be careful, this isn't very dangerous, but it can go wrong if you are unsure about what you are doing.

Option B is PM Frekeyguy and let him make your bike happy for a reasonable price.

Seafoam... My understanding is that this method works for bikes turning over; does the same hold true for one that simply won't start? (Battery is fine, electrical all fine...)

Please clarify: you press the start switch and the starter motor turns over / cranks the engine? Or you press the start switch and no action from the starter motor?

If cranking, but no eventual starting/running, then maybe fuel related and you can try method noted above or spraying starter fluid into the intake.

if not cranking, and battery voltage is 13V, then I'd suspect one of the safety interlocks - kill switch, kickstand sensor, clutch lever switch.

x2 above - step 1 is to know what you mean by "It won't start".

Does it just roll over like crazy but shows no sign of firing at all?

Does it roll over and sputter and show signs it *wants* to start, but can't?

Or does it just do nothing at all when you hit the start button? If so, does everything else light up and work as normal?

Drain the fuel in the carb bowl for a bit to flush out the stale fuel/water.

When it did start did it backfire at all. If so it may have dislodged the carb from the boots slightly causing an air leak and may prevent it from starting.

Back
Top Bottom