Dead battery advice | GTAMotorcycle.com

Dead battery advice

FattBoyy

Hey guys

While fixing an electric issue (signal not blinking) I drained my battery. Yesterday it turned a few times did not start the light s were on but not starting. Did not even start with boost

After about 2 hours on trickle Charger. Started . Went for a one hour ride turned bike off twice. It started. No issues

Today it turned once and went completely dead. No lights even.

Is this a done battery or a recharging issue from alternator?

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

You may have a drain somewhere. Same happened to me a few weeks ago, turned out I was inadvertently turning on the parking lights when I locked my steering. If it was a charging issue, you wouldn't have been able to ride for an hour after just barely charging it enough to start. Also if the battery was done, it wouldn't likely take a charge.

UPDATE

the negative terminal had broken off battery. Is this fixable?

Like the whole terminal broke off? pic?

No it broke off in the middle. I solder it back on not sure if it will hold but if it does not I will get a new battery. The battery is practically brand-new only one year but the idiot. Installed it torque the negative terminal so tight that he twisted it then and that's why it broke off

Depending on the terminal design, I have pre-drilled and then run a screw through the broken terminal into the piece attached to the battery. I'm not saying the is the best permanent solution, but it has worked for me in the past.

If the batt is still good, what ever it takes to keep it connected saves $$$. It's only the negative terminal after all.

This is where I am at

29a1422fe6a2c05073c310ed411dc275.jpg
47a58629eab168f5402be41ed2515579.jpg

tap something like this down into the neg block?
Double-ended-screw-bolt.jpg_350x350.jpg

or bolt the terminal wire end right into the block with a very short screw? not sure how much material is below the top of the batt though.
hex-washer-head-tapping-screw-1.jpg

Last edited:
Buy a new battery....save yourself the headaches.....

Walmart
Canadain Tire
Kapsco Moto

all have inexpensive batteries....

or purchase a good one and be worry free for a few years

you need a good solid ground, or you will have issues.........

What he said.

This is where I am at

I have honestly not seen one of those battery terminals twisted before. This raises some questions that will probably go unanswered, like where did the tech get a 10mm impact socket

Those terminals are pretty soft, but they would have had to really wrench on it to fracture them. A small socket wrench would be enough. I mostly only use a screwdriver by hand. Doesn't need to be tighter than that.

FFS a new battery is like $70 at Walmart. Why even bother with a welfare repair like this?

Back
Top Bottom