OBD readers for bikes? | GTAMotorcycle.com

OBD readers for bikes?

ajaxguy

So my bike has a check engine light that came on yesterday..still rode to work and back and i know there is no issue..maybe something small. I have a obd reader and plugged it in last night( it fit) but it only has car models listed so I cant pull it up.

Is there a specific one or cheaper just to get the dealer to read and clear it?

Mine I looked up on the internet. I had to short out two wires to get it to show on the clock. Not sure where or if yours would be up somewhere though.

Last edited:
On Suzukis you can jump the port with a paperclip and see the code. Different process for Yamaha.
If you google it you will find out how to put the bike into diagnostic mode and see the fault code on the dashboard.

Hmm...I have a Triumph wonder of the same process

I've got one for piaggio, gilera, vespa etc. If you can get by with twisting wires together for yamaha, that seems much cheaper and easier.

I have been googling and i think one of those mini bluetooth ones is the answer..plus can really see whats happening.

I have been googling and i think one of those mini bluetooth ones is the answer..plus can really see whats happening.

I've got one of the ELM327 readers (not the smallest one, mine is about the size of a pack of smokes). It is more finicky than my cabled OBD reader, but for the price it works quite well. For some reason, it doesn't always establish a connection with the car, and you have to plug/unplug and restart the car to get it going.

I use torque on android. Torque doesn't do output testing though. If I didn't have vagcom, I would be looking for a different app as output testing can be very helpful.

I've never tried connecting it to a bike.

So my bike has a check engine light that came on yesterday..still rode to work and back and i know there is no issue..maybe something small. I have a obd reader and plugged it in last night( it fit) but it only has car models listed so I cant pull it up.

Is there a specific one or cheaper just to get the dealer to read and clear it?

Clearing the code is cheap. Finding out why it came up in the first place....

Clearing the code is cheap. Finding out why it came up in the first place....

Well ya of course, those mini bluetooth tell you everything abotu why. I just installed an integrated any maybe it has to with that, as it was literally right after.

Just select any old manufacturer from that list. The code will be accurate, just not the definition. Take the retrieved Pxxxx code + Triumph + Model to google and find what the code means.

Just select any old manufacturer from that list. The code will be accurate, just not the definition. Take the retrieved Pxxxx code + Triumph + Model to google and find what the code means.

**** really? Ok will do that tonight...thanks alot!

**** really? Ok will do that tonight...thanks alot!

YES ! What he said ...pick anyone. All you are after is the code # and you can look it up.

Maybe change your signature as well, to avoid future confusion.

Back
Top Bottom