1980 Honda CBX Tank has no vents? | GTAMotorcycle.com

1980 Honda CBX Tank has no vents?

unL33T

Gotta clean the rust out and reline the tank on my new to me 1980 Honda CBX. Before I start filling this thing with questionable chemicals, am I correct that there are no additional holes in the tank besides the filler cap and petcock? Looks like the vent is in the cap?

h3AvR2C.jpg

wBQQQyU.jpg

Got a lining kit from POR15 on its way once the rust is cleared.

Also, is there any cleaning I should be doing to ensure the cap vent functions properly? Otherwise I'm just going to clean off the surface rust.

Thanks all.

The vent is in the cap, there should be a round rubber gasket. Peel the gasket back (carefully) and check the vent with a fine wire. You should be good to go.

The vent is in the cap, there should be a round rubber gasket. Peel the gasket back (carefully) and check the vent with a fine wire. You should be good to go.
I already removed the rubber gasket that was the seal of the cap. There was a thin plastic ring under that as well. The only holes I see in the cap are the two on the middle part and the one near the edge. None of these were covered by the rubber seal.

Here's what I've removed.

tFZF8Q0.jpg

Then you're all set - if a new gasket and sealing ring is still available it wouldn't hurt to put new ones on.

Then you're all set - if a new gasket and sealing ring is still available it wouldn't hurt to put new ones on.
Yep I'll look into it.

Six cylinder CBX?

You want to talk to Johnny Bent. 905 273 3717
He has a couple of those and a small cache of parts... maybe even a NOS tank.

Back
Top Bottom