m1 vision test | GTAMotorcycle.com

m1 vision test

CbRR

first off let me start by introducing my self. my name is jared/m/30 live in GTA. I am going to be a new rider. my question is when i go get my M1 this week will i be required to do vision test. i have full g and currently do not wear glasses to drive.i only ask because i seem to be getting mixed answers. ive heard that if you already wear glasses you need to do vision test again if going for m1 but if you dont wear glasses you dont need to do vision test again. can someone clarify? ive asked several people, some people have said they have taken the vision test, while others said they havent.

m1 is just a written test. line up, pay. sit down and do the test. save your money and borrow the officail motorcycle hand book from the library. do you know what motircycle is? do you know what restrictive motorcycle license is? good luck

He answered your question. The M1 is a written test only - you go in, pay, write the test, and if you pass you leave with a temporary M1. There is no vision test.

Your requirement for needing glasses to ride is based on your licence requirement for driving - if you licence has a glasses required limitation on it, you will also need glasses on to legally ride.

AFAIK the only exception to this where you would be required to take a vision test for a motorcycle licence (even an M1) is if you don't already hold a G for which the vision test has already been done.

Typically, at licence renewal you need to do the vision tests again however and that could change your requirement, and that requirement is for ALL vehicles you operate, it doesn't go by class.

ok thank you . but ive renewed my licensed a few times and ive NEVER taken a vision test. only time was when i was 16 and first got my g1. thanks for clarification.

ok thank you . but ive renewed my licensed a few times and ive NEVER taken a vision test. only time was when i was 16 and first got my g1. thanks for clarification.

It seems random or based on a certain number of years - eventually your renewal papers will come with a vision test requirement. It's probably because previous renewals you were <30YO, but I suspect you'll find that change on your next renewal.

Until that time, and only if something changes, if your G licence doesn't state eyeglasses required, the same will apply for your M1/M2/M.

I have to take one at every renewal, but it's because I hold a class A licence along with my MC licence.

well i talked to some relatives and they said they took m1 and did vision tests.its no big deal if a vision test is req .im just curious. guess ill find out n report back.

Last edited:
Direct from the MTO website which took all of 2 seconds to google.
The internet's is a wonderful thing...

Apply for a motorcycle licence
To apply for a motorcycle licence in Ontario, you need to:

be at least 16 years old
pass an eye test
pass a written test about the rules of the road and traffic signs
Once you pass these tests, you get an M1 licence. You are considered a beginner rider and need to practice riding and gain experience over time.

I got my M1 a year ago and remember taking it. You just look into the little machine for like 15 seconds. No big deal

I seem to recall taking an eye test too.

I can confirm that you need an eye exam along with your written.
And WRT the eye exam upon renewal of your licence, I'm 51 and never had a request to do one. On certain years I was even able to do it online where they reuse your current photo. I believe they allow 10yr periods on photos.
no sweat eye exam is like 30 sec for direction and reading some portions.

Got my m1 in april, did vision test

Interesting... I never had to do a vision test at all, but again, perhaps it's because of my class A licence and the fact I have regular medicals as part of it.

My wife did indeed say she needed to do a vision test when she went for her M1 last March.

If you're worried about it, go see an eye doctor first, and get corrective lenses if required. It's really nice to be able to see things while driving, and it's also important!

I vaguely recall them doing another vision test for M1, and also once when renewing my G before that. Both times I laughed at them and said go ahead. I wear glasses and am blind as a bat without them, so making me retest didn't tank very long. lol

I did my M1 in February and had to do the vision test. I do have corrective lenses on my licences so that may have triggered the test. I also have a full G licence and well as a D/Z.

Back
Top Bottom