Min wage increase | Page 23 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Min wage increase

The current inflation rate is very low. I wouldn't worry about it. The money will just end up being spent somewhere else in the economy. Don't forget, we're also raising consumption here which adds value to business.
Raising consumption if the miniwagers actually maintain that additional buying power, which is questionable for a number of reasons. Including increased prices and fewer available entry level jobs.

I'm not convinced in the slightest.

Raising consumption if the miniwagers actually maintain that additional buying power, which is questionable for a number of reasons. Including increased prices and fewer available entry level jobs.

I'm not convinced in the slightest.

Well naturally not, since small business guys like you will be paying the extra. Let's be honest, any wage increase is a bad increase when you have employees. Heck, they oughta be paying you to work at your place, you're doing them such a favour.

I don't necessarily think a higher minimum wage is bad... .

We all know where you stand. You don't have to say it.

Do you think $4 increase in less than 3 years is acceptable?

Well naturally not, since small business guys like you will be paying the extra. Let's be honest, any wage increase is a bad increase when you have employees. Heck, they oughta be paying you to work at your place, you're doing them such a favour.
I'm non union and none of my guys are paid less than $30/hr. I will not be increasing salaries to match the minimum wage hikes. If the unions raise their rates (they will) it just means I'm even more competitive. This thing will quite likely be GOOD for me. But I'm not a hypocrite.

You're funny. Complain about gov handouts ruining the trucking industry, but increases on business costs to others are A-OK. Brutal hypocrisy.

We all know where you stand. You don't have to say it.

Do you think $4 increase in less than 3 years is acceptable?

You do not know where I stand, you cherrypick your arguments and select half of one sentence in my post to focus on..... put on your big boy pants and join a sensible debate and share thoughts and ideas.

$4 in less than 3 years does seem like a steep increase and doing so without implementing other changes to help protect our job market may be to the detriment of us all.... but like I said, I don't have an extensive background in finance or economics so when I concede that it seems like a steep increase that is based on zero subject matter expertise.

Caboose, you did say that businesses haven't gone under or had to cut staff in the past, and why should it happen now. Insinuating that you didn't consider the intensity of this sudden hike, which btw is unprecedented. Which is why I said that because of it's sudden intensity, it will not be easily passed on to the consumer as sudden as it hits. Employment and small businesses are going to take a huge hit on this, and the ones that do survive will be under staffed and over priced, meaning the same min wage workers still won't afford to eat/shop where they work. And the cycle continues.

mmmmmnaked, Union shops with contracts will most assuredly NOT receive a coinciding wage increase. In fact, most union contracts these days are even under a C.O.L.A. freeze, mine included(USW Local 7135). Yes, we can attempt to bargain for a coinciding increase in our next contract, but it will not come easy nor without suffering. This hike to $15 means that the current entry wage at our plant of $16.80, which used to be a very good starting wage for an undeveloped worker, is now an noncompetitive pittance. However I can potentially side with the company when it comes to saying an inexperienced laborer is not wort more. They're slower thus less productive, they make more mistakes, which cost more to repair, etc. I should also add that we are the only Canadian builder of freight rail cars, a busy times we have a roster of around 2,000 employees. Competing with American firms that pay their employees less than half of our average wage, is already a difficulty. I don't see a $4 instant increase happening in my next contract, and I wouldn't support a 3-6 month strike or lockout, to get it.

And that's just your opinion? Do you have some level of expertise on this subject?

Where do you work... I used to work for NSC in Hamilton before the owners got arrested for fraud.... good times.

, This hike to $15 means that the current entry wage at our plant of $16.80, which used to be a very good starting wage for an undeveloped worker, is now an noncompetitive pittance.

That's precisely why so many unions back minimum wage hikes though. They price the competition out, and also leave room open for future renegotiation.

Why hire a scab for $15 when a good union boy is only $16.80?

I'm non union and none of my guys are paid less than $30/hr. I will not be increasing salaries to match the minimum wage hikes. If the unions raise their rates (they will) it just means I'm even more competitive. This thing will quite likely be GOOD for me. But I'm not a hypocrite.

You're funny. Complain about gov handouts ruining the trucking industry, but increases on business costs to others are A-OK. Brutal hypocrisy.
I'm coming to work for you.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

He's hiring?
Not sure but $30/hr is decent coin.
I mean, soon to be 2x min wage, but right now almost 3x!!

I think you missed my point. If you really want to be so idealistic that you get all government out of all labour affairs, then I'm in favour of the experiment. I promise I'm not the hypocrite - it is the businesses that whine about minimum wage increases who also whine for government help (foreign worker programs, training subsidies etc.). The recent rail strike is the latest example where government was called on to save CP and CN from the evil unions. Or how about all those banks who wanted zero government legislation then came running for a government bailout in 2008? There's no such thing as an economy without government only because the BAD businesses who don't pay their employees and who always scream for corporate welfare lobby for it. Like I said, if you can't make a profit and pay your workers a decent salary get into a different business or go somewhere else.

I'm happy to hear your pay your workers a decent wage. Stray too far from the union rate and you'll be organized. Happens every day.

A practically-overnight hike of 25% is too drastic. Prices will go up with business costs, simple as that. The government is a self serving entity. Why didn't they ease the tax burden on low earners instead of passing the cost onto businesses?

I'm non union and none of my guys are paid less than $30/hr. I will not be increasing salaries to match the minimum wage hikes. If the unions raise their rates (they will)

I'm going in for a vote on a new contract this coming Saturday and it's a wage, benefits, and pension freeze for several years....so yeah, the stereotypical ant-union rhetoric (IE, we're all overpaid and get huge raises every single contract) is bunk.

A practically-overnight hike of 25% is too drastic. Prices will go up with business costs, simple as that. The government is a self serving entity. Why didn't they ease the tax burden on low earners instead of passing the cost onto businesses?

Although I don't necesarilly disagree that the hike is too much too fast, it will have different effects on different busineses - the big corporations, well...the CEO might only be able to afford 2 yachts instead of the customary 3. Unfortunately the small businesses, well, different situation, and I'm not sure that was totally thought out.

I do struggle with the big picture on this topic, and yes, I know a lot of people who are already frustrated that they went to college for a year or four to get a job that will now be only paying marginally more than the fry-dunker at McDonalds.

looks like a few clowns from the peanut gallery have some beef with you & so far are mostly babbling lol

How ironic that the king of incoherent babbling is taking pot shots on the topic. Did you even get the joke?

How ironic that the king of incoherent babbling is taking pot shots on the topic. Did you even get the joke?

Pot shots aside, you have to admit that in this thread he has made more sense than ever. And I have to agree with some (all?) of his links. Whodathunkit?

Pot shots aside, you have to admit that in this thread he has made more sense than ever. And I have to agree with some (all?) of his links. Whodathunkit?

Anything is possible, indeed, but I did admit to the misunderstanding with regards to the editing issue (occasionally I get threads/trains of thought mixed up) and I made the response wrapped around a joke in the end.

Back
Top Bottom